PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher vulger insult

Trigg
03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Of course the National Organization of (liberal) Women refuses to condemn him, surprise surprise.

Bill Maher uttered a female vulgarism when referring to former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin on his HBO show Friday night.

“Did you hear this – Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb tw**s, did you...”

Maher was offering an imagined Palin response in an apparent attempt at humor, as Palin had made no such statement.

The National Organization for Women (NOW) refused to comment on Maher’s use of the derogatory term

http://nation.foxnews.com/sarah-palin/2011/03/22/now-refuses-condemn-mahers-vulgar-palin-attack

actsnoblemartin
03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
national organization of women really is national religion of liberal women

DragonStryk72
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
How are you not foaming at the mouth over South Park? Seriously, they say worse in every single episode of South Park than Bill is ever going to say.

I mean, if it had come from someone other than a comedian, I'd probably pay it a bit more mind, but I mean, it's sort of his job description, isn't it?

Abbey Marie
03-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Perhaps the best answer is to avoid programs like South Park that contribute to the crassness of our society. I do.

NOW is a joke.

Thunderknuckles
03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Maher is a douche, period.
The only difference between him and South Park is that the creators of South Park will tell you they are just a couple of douche bags while Maher actually thinks he is an intellectual giant.

Nukeman
03-23-2011, 10:42 AM
How are you not foaming at the mouth over South Park? Seriously, they say worse in every single episode of South Park than Bill is ever going to say.

I mean, if it had come from someone other than a comedian, I'd probably pay it a bit more mind, but I mean, it's sort of his job description, isn't it?
You really think bill maher is a comedian?? Wow!!! the bar must be awfully low for that standard:laugh:

The point I think between Southpark and Bill Maher is that southpark is not meant to be taken seriously!! Where as Bill Maher tries to be another Dennis Miller (he is no where even close) and attempts to be taken seriously on his politicle slant!! Bill is a complete ass and NEVER lets a opposing view point be stated on his show

The statement he made was insensitive, vulger, and juvenile at best. When we have a conservative being fired from NPR for being well conservative and speaking in favor of conservative views, how can our media down play this type of statement.. how can they justify NOT firing him for his trash talk.

My wife and I had a conversation with our daughter about this and it is basicly that when in a "public" forum there are certain standards one should follow, he can have all the opinions he wants in his personal life and all the opinions he wants on his comedy tour but his "show" (a term used loosely) is about politics. As such he should be held to a higher standard than when doing his comedy tour (once again a very long stretch)...

logroller
03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
You really think bill maher is a comedian?? Wow!!! the bar must be awfully low for that standard:laugh:

The point I think between Southpark and Bill Maher is that southpark is not meant to be taken seriously!! Where as Bill Maher tries to be another Dennis Miller (he is no where even close) and attempts to be taken seriously on his politicle slant!! Bill is a complete ass and NEVER lets a opposing view point be stated on his show

The statement he made was insensitive, vulger, and juvenile at best. When we have a conservative being fired from NPR for being well conservative and speaking in favor of conservative views, how can our media down play this type of statement.. how can they justify NOT firing him for his trash talk.
My wife and I had a conversation with our daughter about this and it is basicly that when in a "public" forum there are certain standards one should follow, he can have all the opinions he wants in his personal life and all the opinions he wants on his comedy tour but his "show" (a term used loosely) is about politics. As such he should be held to a higher standard than when doing his comedy tour (once again a very long stretch)...

NPR conservative??? where were you on the NPR thread?

Answer as to why he wasn't fired -- trash sells. Yeah capitalism!!!

Abbey Marie
03-25-2011, 09:01 AM
NPR conservative??? where were you on the NPR thread?

Answer as to why he wasn't fired -- trash sells. Yeah capitalism!!!

What? The point is that NPR fired him because he is conservative. How does that make NPR conservative? It is further evidence that NPR is incredibly biased towards liberalism. I would have thought that was obvious...

Psychoblues
03-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Why in hell are you whining, good people? Bill Maher is clearly a comedian as is Dennis Miller. I don't care for Dennis Miller but I don't whine about about his humorless and vindictive attempts. That appeals to some but not to me. Insofar as Bill Mahers' remarks towards sara Pallin' I find it impossible not to be funny in some way and/or some level. She, sara, begs for and thrives on the attention. Everytime bill moher speaks her name she sells hundreds more books and her speaking fees increase. What is she after? Until further notice I am convinced it's purely economic for her.

Psychochoblues

Thunderknuckles
03-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Why in hell are you whining, good people? Bill Maher is clearly a comedian as is Dennis Miller. I don't care for Dennis Miller but I don't whine about about his humorless and vindictive attempts. That appeals to some but not to me. Insofar as Bill Mahers' remarks towards sara Pallin' I find it impossible not to be funny in some way and/or some level. She, sara, begs for and thrives on the attention. Everytime bill moher speaks her name she sells hundreds more books and her speaking fees increase. What is she after? Until further notice I am convinced it's purely economic for her.

Psychochoblues
Text book case on how to defend poor behavior by one who holds the same political view as you. Both liberals and conservatives are guilty of this.

DragonStryk72
03-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Text book case on how to defend poor behavior by one who holds the same political view as you. Both liberals and conservatives are guilty of this.

This has only been his comedy schtick for, what, 20+ years now? There's no point, he's a political comedian, so yeah, he's gonna make fun of political faces. He's made fun of Obama, Bill & Hilary, hell, even Michael Moore and yes, he makes fun of the Republicans. Having watched his show for some time, he doesn't really give anyone a pass, they are all insulted as opportunity allows.

stephanie
03-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Maher is a unfunny douchebag fer sure and ugly as hell to look at to boot.

Abbey Marie
03-27-2011, 01:51 PM
This has only been his comedy schtick for, what, 20+ years now? There's no point, he's a political comedian, so yeah, he's gonna make fun of political faces. He's made fun of Obama, Bill & Hilary, hell, even Michael Moore and yes, he makes fun of the Republicans. Having watched his show for some time, he doesn't really give anyone a pass, they are all insulted as opportunity allows.

I don't see where anyone is saying he isn't a comedian (though he really isn't very funny at it) and can't crack jokes at anyone's expense.
The point is that he is too vulgar. I gather that you disagree on that point?

Psychoblues
03-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Bill Maher's shtick, Politically Incorrect, has been popular dark comedy for many years. Vulgar? Yes, and meant to be so. Over the top? Yes, and meant to be so. Political commentary? That's the point, isn't it?

I am in no way defending his remarks. I'll leave that to him. On the other hand I defend his right to make his remarks. And I would defend your right to turn the channel or turn it off.

Anybody want to talk about what's being taught to our children in public schools? And what's being proposed? I don't think any teachers are quoting Bill Maher, do you?

Psychochoblues

DragonStryk72
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't see where anyone is saying he isn't a comedian (though he really isn't very funny at it) and can't crack jokes at anyone's expense.
The point is that he is too vulgar. I gather that you disagree on that point?

Given that I watch South Park on a regular basis? Yes, I mean, he doesn't even swear all that much, despite it being a late night HBO show. I'd hate to think how you'd judge me on that score, as I'm an Irish ex-sailor from New York, and I know I have a pretty good grasp of vulgar commentary.

logroller
03-28-2011, 12:45 AM
What? The point is that NPR fired him because he is conservative. How does that make NPR conservative? It is further evidence that NPR is incredibly biased towards liberalism. I would have thought that was obvious...

I was thinking of the whole undercover expose. not aware of whom u are referring to as consevative, my bad.

red states rule
03-28-2011, 03:30 AM

Psychochoblues

Thank you PB for proving what I have always believed about the liberal "rights" groups and how liberals view "protection" of women and minorites

Liberals will always defend those who are attacked for being a women, or a minority - as long as they are a liberal

Of course you would be outraged if Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity would have made the same comment about Michelle Obama or Nancy Pelosi, and you would be calling for them to fired

And I doubt if you would found the comment funny as you did the comment about Ms Palin

red states rule
03-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Bill Maher's shtick, Politically Incorrect, has been popular dark comedy for many years. Vulgar? Yes, and meant to be so. Over the top? Yes, and meant to be so. Political commentary? That's the point, isn't it?

I am in no way defending his remarks. I'll leave that to him. On the other hand I defend his right to make his remarks. And I would defend your right to turn the channel or turn it off.

Anybody want to talk about what's being taught to our children in public schools? And what's being proposed? I don't think any teachers are quoting Bill Maher, do you?

Psychochoblues

and the show was cancelled after Maher said the 9/11 terrorists had more courage then members of the US military

“We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That’s cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly. You’re right.”

As a former vet you should be PO'd at Maher

Or are you just protecting a fellow liberal?

Abbey Marie
03-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Given that I watch South Park on a regular basis? Yes, I mean, he doesn't even swear all that much, despite it being a late night HBO show. I'd hate to think how you'd judge me on that score, as I'm an Irish ex-sailor from New York, and I know I have a pretty good grasp of vulgar commentary.

How you talk or act in your private life doesn't interest me. What goes out on the airwaves and other media, and thereby affects our culture, does.

Btw, I don't put that word Maher used in the same class as swearing. It is a female-targeted vulgarity.

DragonStryk72
03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
How you talk or act in your private life doesn't interest me. What goes out on the airwaves and other media, and thereby affects our culture, does.

Btw, I don't put that word Maher used in the same class as swearing. It is a female-targeted vulgarity.

Like the word dick for guys? He's called guys dicks as well, and so have I for that matter. So which forms of speech should be restricted? More importantly, who gets to decide? Remember, this wasn't exactly on ABC, this is the same network that aired The Sopranos not so long ago.

Alias.258
03-28-2011, 07:32 PM
At chance of being attacked here, I'm going to say this:
Bill got attention for his statement. Though inappropriate, and I'm not defending him, these kind of statements are to be expected from somebody who has his job description. Now I personally don't know anything about his comedy but I have been told he has said stuff like this before by people who have seen and listened to his stuff. Now Palin is upset because somebody called her a inappropriate name. You know what, modify your behavior a little bit and don't draw such outstanding attention to yourself and this possibly could have been avoided. It drew attention to the two of them. It seems like just another comment that has been blown way out of proportion. Was it inappropriate? Yes. Did it draw negative attention? Probably. Was it blown out of proportion? Definitely. Am I glad this didn't invade the newsletters that I receive? I couldn't be happier.

fj1200
03-29-2011, 07:14 AM
You know what, modify your behavior a little bit and don't draw such outstanding attention to yourself and this possibly could have been avoided.

Modify her behavior? Which behavior is that? Criticizing the President? You'd think the big, bad POTUS wouldn't need a hack comedian fighting his battles for him. Or maybe she should just lay back and take it?

Abbey Marie
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Bill got attention for his statement. Though inappropriate, and I'm not defending him, these kind of statements are to be expected from somebody who has his job description. Now I personally don't know anything about his comedy but I have been told he has said stuff like this before by people who have seen and listened to his stuff. Now Palin is upset because somebody called her a inappropriate name. You know what, modify your behavior a little bit and don't draw such outstanding attention to yourself and this possibly could have been avoided. It drew attention to the two of them. It seems like just another comment that has been blown way out of proportion. Was it inappropriate? Yes. Did it draw negative attention? Probably. Was it blown out of proportion? Definitely. Am I glad this didn't invade the newsletters that I receive? I couldn't be happier.

What the heck is Ms. Palin doing, posing for Penthouse? She is making political speeches, for god's sake. So any woman who speaks publicly deserves to be called vulgar names? I think you are buttressing my point here. We are becoming so desensitized by the lack of standards that people cannot even see how offensive it can be.

Btw, by your logic, I guess Obama can be called the "N" word publicly, and be told, hey you have to take it- you made yourself a target by by being in politics? This is reminiscent of the days when women who were raped were blamed because they were out at night or wore a short skirt. After all, they were "drawing outstanding attention to themselves", right?

Abbey Marie
03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Like the word dick for guys? He's called guys dicks as well, and so have I for that matter. So which forms of speech should be restricted? More importantly, who gets to decide? Remember, this wasn't exactly on ABC, this is the same network that aired The Sopranos not so long ago.

There has been a standards group for the airwaves since I can remember. Generally, they decide. And I further decide with my wallet. We haven't had HBO in our home since our 19 year old daughter was born, for this very reason.

That's only one side of the coin, though. I find it sad that you think this is all ok. Do you have respect for women who you think deserve it? Your mom? Daughter? Wife? Do you not see that it cheapens all of us to allow this? The ability to watch or hear someone being crude does not mean it's a good thing for your soul.

I think it's like smoking cigarettes. It's not until someone quits that they fully realize how fouled up their body (or in this case spirit or soul) was.

Trigg
03-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Who gets to decide? I, as a woman, decide it shouldn't be used!

It's a vulgar, demeaning, sexist term on the same level as the C word, as far as I'm concerned.

The N word was designated as demeaning to blacks and is no longer used on networks. Blacks decided that they didn't want it used.

If he wants to insult her views or her politics, than so be it. But leave her gender out of it.

Alias.258
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
"What the heck is Ms. Palin doing, posing for Penthouse? She is making political speeches, for god's sake. So any woman who speaks publicly deserves to be called vulgar names? I think you are buttressing my point here. We are becoming so desensitized by the lack of standards that people cannot even see how offensive it can be."

No shes not posing for penthouse, But 1) As a public figure, your risk being attacked like this. 2) The attention I'm referring to has been drawn by mostly her family in addition her. She just spawns negative attention and if i had the answer for you as to why I would give it to you. But i will repeat this. SHE IS A PUBLIC FIGURE. If I remember correctly, there as a public figure, there isn't anything that you can do about being made a joke out of. And there shouldn't be a single thing you can do about being insulted.

"Btw, by your logic, I guess Obama can be called the "N" word publicly, and be told, hey you have to take it- you made yourself a target by by being in politics? This is reminiscent of the days when women who were raped were blamed because they were out at night or wore a short skirt. After all, they were "drawing outstanding attention to themselves", right? "

Yes, as a politician you should have to take it. I'm sorry if you disagree with me. You become a politician you should have to deal with anything that is thrown at you. No matter Right or Wrong, that is the way it should be. And no I don't think that it is reminiscent of that. I have had a friend raped so I really don't appreciate that... That is not what I'm saying. Being verbally abused because you are a politician and being raped because you are wearing a short skirt are two completely different things. One person is a public figure who consistently addresses the public who may or may not support them. Drawing negative or positive attention. The other is a women who is wearing clothing who is attacked by a man who cant control himself and quite frankly I do have a HUGE problem with them. Being attacked verbally can't be compared to rape. Now is what happened wrong: Yes. Is it being blown out of proportion: Yes. She should toughen up, and you should tap dance around using rape as a comparison more carefully. Rape destroys people. Being verbally attacked in 99.90 percent of all circumstances doesn't compare.

Alias.258
04-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Being raped cant be topped by being verbally attacked. I changed my mind, Don't even know what caused me to make it a 99.90% Figure. Wasn't focused while writing this perhaps. No verbal abuse can't top that.

Trigg
04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
No shes not posing for penthouse, But 1) As a public figure, your risk being attacked like this. 2) The attention I'm referring to has been drawn by mostly her family in addition her. She just spawns negative attention and if i had the answer for you as to why I would give it to you. But i will repeat this. SHE IS A PUBLIC FIGURE. If I remember correctly, there as a public figure, there isn't anything that you can do about being made a joke out of. And there shouldn't be a single thing you can do about being insulted.

Yes, as a politician you should have to take it. .

No she shouldn't be attacked like this and people shouldn't support this kind of vulgar attack.

She's a public figure. Attack her political stance, NOT HER GENDER.

In your view it's perfectly ok to call Obama the "N" word. RIGHT??

I don't like him, so instead of going after his views and stance on the issues I'll simply attack his race. He's a public figure after all so all's fair

logroller
04-02-2011, 08:29 PM
No she shouldn't be attacked like this and people shouldn't support this kind of vulgar attack.

I don't like him, so instead of going after his views and stance on the issues I'll simply attack his race. He's a public figure after all so all's fair

It is worth mentioning that were Obama not of mixed race nor Palin a female, I doubt either would be as popular as they are. I think anyone with an open mind realizes one shouldn't be judged by their race, creed color gender etc, but these qualities nonetheless affect who we are, its just not all we are. Maher's comments were rude, belittling and, given his outspoken views of his high-intellect, extremely hypocritical.

Abbey Marie
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Anytime you blame the victim for being abused, you are doing essentially the same thing that defenders of rapists used to get away with. My saying that an action follows logically, doesn't mean the two actions have the exact consequences.

And the fact that you knew someone who was raped, tragic as that was for her/him, doesn't make you a special class of victim yourself, so I am not falling for that card.

I stand by my analogy.

Yes, as a politician you should have to take it. I'm sorry if you disagree with me. You become a politician you should have to deal with anything that is thrown at you. No matter Right or Wrong, that is the way it should be. And no I don't think that it is reminiscent of that. I have had a friend raped so I really don't appreciate that... That is not what I'm saying. Being verbally abused because you are a politician and being raped because you are wearing a short skirt are two completely different things. One person is a public figure who consistently addresses the public who may or may not support them. Drawing negative or positive attention. The other is a women who is wearing clothing who is attacked by a man who cant control himself and quite frankly I do have a HUGE problem with them. Being attacked verbally can't be compared to rape. Now is what happened wrong: Yes. Is it being blown out of proportion: Yes. She should toughen up, and you should tap dance around using rape as a comparison more carefully. Rape destroys people. Being verbally attacked in 99.90 percent of all circumstances doesn't compare.

logroller
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Suppose she had posed for penthouse, would it make the comment more acceptable?

LuvRPgrl
04-05-2011, 02:15 AM

Sorry, she shouldn't have to modify her behavior one iota.

Alias.258
04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Sorry, she shouldn't have to modify her behavior one iota.

By continuing posting I know I am only digging my grave deeper. However;
I'm not saying she has to do anything. I'm not defending anybody, what I am saying is this: Put simply, being a public figure opens yourself to these kind of attacks. Appropriate, or inappropriate, there shouldn't be anything you can do about it. Was it wrong: Yes. But she did does draw attention to herself just by being a public figure. Again, she doesn't have to change her behavior. And she shouldn't have to based off of a single insult. But there shouldn't be anything you can do about it. That was my original point. There shouldn't be a single thing you can do about it.

As I said above, I don't agree with these types of attacks. What I am saying is that I don't see why the person should be able to do anything about it as a public figure. And I'm sure Obama has been attacked and insulted based on his race.

actsnoblemartin
05-07-2011, 01:15 AM
maher would make a gay man turn straight, common ladies, doesn't he look like his neck threw up? :rolleyes: