PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Taylor Dead at 79

namvet
03-23-2011, 08:20 AM
she was a doll. RIP

Oscar winning actress Elizabeth Taylor died today at Los Angeles, Calif.'s Cedars-Sinai Hospital at the age of 79.
She was surrounded by her children- Michael Wilding, Christopher Wilding, Liza Todd, and Maria Burton," Taylor's publicist, Sally Morrison, said in a statement.

In addition to her children, Taylor is survived by 10 grand children and four great grandchildren.

Taylor had been hospitalized six weeks ago with congestive heart failure. Though she had recently suffered a number of complications, her condition had stabilized and it was hoped that she would be able to return home.

source (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/hollywood-icon-elizabeth-taylor-dies-79/story?id=12894882)

Kathianne
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
She was truly beautiful when young. Oh what a life she led. She knew it too. I liked these comments regarding her 'tombstone' that she gave to Barbara Walters in an interview:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/23/barbara-walters-on-taylor-she-really-lived/

...One in particular, from 1999, showcased Taylor's trademark humor. Walters inquired what the actress wanted on her tombstone, to which she responded, "Here lies Liz. She lived. Wait, no...Here lies Elizabeth. She hated being called Liz. But she lived," she said with a laugh...

namvet
03-23-2011, 04:30 PM
TCM will run a tribute to her soon. a day or two of non stop flicks

KarlMarx
03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Elizabeth Taylor was one of the last true movie stars. You know what I mean?

The glamor and the aura she had almost made the acting part inconsequential.

I guess it was part of a deliberately crafted image on the part of the movie studios but not entirely. Today's movie stars just don't have what the actors and actresses of Elizabeth Taylor's generation had.

Elizabeth Taylor's passing just reminds me just how much of the old America I grew up in is gone and never coming back...... :(

Abbey Marie
03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Elizabeth Taylor was one of the last true movie stars. You know what I mean?

The glamor and the aura she had almost made the acting part inconsequential.

I guess it was part of a deliberately crafted image on the part of the movie studios but not entirely. Today's movie stars just don't have what the actors and actresses of Elizabeth Taylor's generation had.

Elizabeth Taylor's passing just reminds me just how much of the old America I grew up in is gone and never coming back...... :(

To take it one step further, we are now a crass, ugly society, where women in particular do not demand nor in many cases, deserve, to be treated with respect. Just think of Ms. Taylor, then think of Snooki, or many female pop singers today.

Anyone who knows me on this board knows how heavily this weighs on my heart, especially because I have a daughter growing up in this mess. But we will continue to be told, even by some Conservatives, that it's all good, that the media should be allowed to be a low class free-for-all gutter of behavior and talk, and anyone who doesn't like it should just get over it. I am fairly sure that we will never get back our integrity as a nation, and all the generations to follow will suffer for it.

KarlMarx
03-26-2011, 05:57 AM
To take it one step further, we are now a crass, ugly society, where women in particular do not demand nor in many cases, deserve, to be treated with respect. Just think of Ms. Taylor, then think of Snooki, or many female pop singers today.

Anyone who knows me on this board knows how heavily this weighs on my heart, especially because I have a daughter growing up in this mess. But we will continue to be told, even by some Conservatives, that it's all good, that the media should be allowed to be a low class free-for-all gutter of behavior and talk, and anyone who doesn't like it should just get over it. I am fairly sure that we will never get back our integrity as a nation, and all the generations to follow will suffer for it.

I agree, that's why I've said that it's not enough to win the White House and the Congress, we have to win back the culture, too. That's a tall order.

Abbey Marie
03-26-2011, 12:07 PM
I agree, that's why I've said that it's not enough to win the White House and the Congress, we have to win back the culture, too. That's a tall order.

You are very wise, KM.