PDA

View Full Version : Obama Is Not Serious About Oil and US Policy

Kathianne
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Really, quite unreal:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748703806304576233071178867598-lMyQjAxMTAxMDAwMTEwNDEyWj.html

(I hope the link isn't hidden by subscription):

* APRIL 1, 2011

The Secret to Brazil's Energy Success
Over the past 20 years the country increased domestic oil production by a whopping 876%.

By STEVEN F. HAYWARD

The Obama administration's energy policy is in the midst of transition from being stubbornly ideological to being wholly incoherent. That much was clear when President Obama unveiled his Blueprint for a Secure Energy Future this week.

With gasoline prices climbing above $4 a gallon, the administration is talking about tapping our Strategic Petroleum Reserve in a desperate attempt to hold down pump prices. It's also expanding subsidies and incentives for energy supplies that cost a lot more than oil, and it's aiming to reduce our dependency on foreign oil by one-third over the next 10 years.

Meanwhile, in a bizarre turn, Mr. Obama recently expressed enthusiasm for aggressive offshore drilling—in Brazil...

...Mr. Obama tried to thread the needle by claiming to be pro-domestic production, while at the same time embracing the tired talking point that because the U.S. has only 2% of the world's proven oil reserves—about 20 billion barrels—we can't hope to achieve independence from foreign oil from our own resources.

Yet a recent report from the Congressional Research Service that has received surprisingly little attention concludes that the U.S. probably has as much as 155 billion barrels of oil recoverable with existing technology that we simply haven't looked for or have closed off from exploration for political reasons. That's five times the outdated and misleading figure Mr. Obama cites. And there are an additional 700 billion barrels of oil shale and other unconventional hydrocarbons that could be developed here at home. That's more than the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia.

Mr. Obama ought to tell the whole story about Brazil, instead of just half of it...

fj1200
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I thought jus' talkin' guud would make guud stuff happen... But then maybe the teleprompter really does know what it's talk'n 'bout.

Kathianne
04-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I thought jus' talkin' guud would make guud stuff happen... But then maybe the teleprompter really does know what it's talk'n 'bout.

and 'green' as in biofuels, regardless of the latest information, well since late 1990's. :rolleyes:

logroller
04-02-2011, 10:24 AM
and 'green' as in biofuels, regardless of the latest information, well since late 1990's. :rolleyes:

I paid $4.05 last weekend. Especially frustrating is when I talk to a friend who tells me the production facility he works at is only pumping at %10; not because there isn't more to pump, but because they're strategically shifting towards natgas. This may be a response to the current policy, but I can't help but wonder if its just good old fashioned price manipulation. The more important question, IMO, is at what point do we taper off production to preserve what reserves are there? (and are we doing so already?)

Kathianne
04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I paid $4.05 last weekend. Especially frustrating is when I talk to a friend who tells me the production facility he works at is only pumping at %10; not because there isn't more to pump, but because they're strategically shifting towards natgas. This may be a response to the current policy, but I can't help but wonder if its just good old fashioned price manipulation. The more important question, IMO, is at what point do we taper off production to preserve what reserves are there? (and are we doing so already?)

I don't know. Why haven't the oil companies been allowed to build more refineries, big part of the problem. Why haven't we been developing our own resources, along with ways to make them cleaner? Why are there not more test locations for hydrogen cars and pumps, one of the few alternatives that seem feasible?

logroller
04-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know. Why haven't the oil companies been allowed to build more refineries, big part of the problem. Why haven't we been developing our own resources, along with ways to make them cleaner? Why are there not more test locations for hydrogen cars and pumps, one of the few alternatives that seem feasible?

Refining, and the regulation which affect them, is a complex issue. I'd venture to guess that most of the refineries were first opening prior to the us prouction peak in the early '70's; as such the companies which operate them don't see the financial benefit to new construction, but rather retrofitting/upgrading them. Additionally, many of the processes are regulated by the Clean Air Act(CAA), so the refineries find it more advantageous to build abroad and retrofit domestically. Rather or not the CAA is a just law is open for debate, but most of the requirements do serve to protect the general public, mostly through local and area enforcement. (which I think is most effective)

So far as hydrogen test stations, hard to say when such technology will garner favor among consumers, but no doubt the rising cost of gasoline makes such technology more viable substitute. The problem I've noticed with H cars is the same as electric: limited miles on one tank/charge. i personally dont see personal transportation being anywhere near its current level in say 25 yrs, so i dont think the longterm incentives exist for technology providers as short term the govt seems beset on subsidizing ethanol, probably because they're well-versed in the effects of subsidies on the ag sector and the lobbying machine which benefits. (eg natgas for fertilizers)

What I've always had a problem with, esp. inCA where I am, are the rigorous smog rules. I believe they've done a good thing by reducing gross pollutors, but I would prefer a diesel car due to higher fuel efficiency, but adaption from gas is just shy of impossible due to regulations. Perhaps govt doesnt want the consumers affecting the diesel market as it would impact trucking prices. It seems it always comes down to govt dictating whats best...(sigh)

DragonStryk72
04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
It seems it always comes down to govt dictating whats best...(sigh)

And that's the core of most of our current woes, is the government deciding it know best, both for us and for others.

LuvRPgrl
04-04-2011, 01:03 AM
And that's the core of most of our current woes, is the government deciding it know best, both for us and for others.

Oh they love having control.

Plus it's about time for obama to start thinking about re election. He seriously will want to get gas prices back down to where they were a few months ago.

04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Did you think he was?

LuvRPgrl
04-05-2011, 02:00 AM
Did you think he was?

If that question was directed at me, then, yes, he most certainly is/was