PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a new Prius!!!!!

Psychoblues
04-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Actually it's for my wife but I imagine I'll be driving it most of the time. There is so much to digest before driving one!!!!! Actually not but it is different. All these years I thought they had to be plugged in for recharge?!?!?????! Not so!!!!! They are completely self sufficient needing only gas and oil changes every 10,000 miles and they are free as is 5,000 mile tire rotations and all maintenance on new Toyota's for the first 2 years or 25,000 miles. This car is rated at 51 city and 49 highway. I've driven this one a pretty hard 300 miles on the highway and it registers an average 47.3 mpg so far. We'll be going to ATL tomorrow to stay a week with my daughter and her family as she recovers from gastroenterological surgery on Monday. By the time we get back next Sunday or Monday we'll have a very good feel for what the car is going to do.

Right now I'm just feeling a little smug. :laugh2:

Psychochoblues

Sitarro
04-02-2011, 03:31 AM
It's too bad Toyota refuses to let a decent designer put an attractive body on that thing, they are easily the ugliest thing on the road. Honda knows how why can't Toyota? I wouldn't even ride in one......... good for you though. You know, if you maintain that mileage over 10,000 miles a year, you'll save 169 gallons of fuel over my Sebring convertible, I have a lot more fun with my car though. If the price gets up to where the imbecile in Air Force One wants it...... you'll save 845 dollars in those 10,000 miles over me. Of course, I bought my car on EBay for 4 grand so it will take a longtime for me to catch how much you've spent to get 12 more miles to the gallon.:rolleyes:

fj1200
04-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Right now I'm just feeling a little smug. :laugh2:

A Toyota Pious eh?
Smug Alert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!)

In San Francisco, Kyle's father is glad to meet like-minded "progressive" people who, in mid-conversation, fart, bend over and inhale before resuming discussion.

G/L with everything here in ATL.

sundaydriver
04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
It's too bad Toyota refuses to let a decent designer put an attractive body on that thing, they are easily the ugliest thing on the road. Honda knows how why can't Toyota? I wouldn't even ride in one......... good for you though. You know, if you maintain that mileage over 10,000 miles a year, you'll save 169 gallons of fuel over my Sebring convertible, I have a lot more fun with my car though. If the price gets up to where the imbecile in Air Force One wants it...... you'll save 845 dollars in those 10,000 miles over me. Of course, I bought my car on EBay for 4 grand so it will take a longtime for me to catch how much you've spent to get 12 more miles to the gallon.:rolleyes:

Yo paid 4k for a Sebring convertable? I hope that came with the St. Andrews Ivy cap or beret and driving gloves that I always see on the old guys that drive those Sebrings. :laugh2:

Sitarro
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Yo paid 4k for a Sebring convertable? I hope that came with the St. Andrews Ivy cap or beret and driving gloves that I always see on the old guys that drive those Sebrings. :laugh2:

It's so funny listening to some dumbass kid talk about old people or what someone wears........ like a sideways or backwards giant baseball cap is the definition of fashion sense. Say what you want about my Sebring, it's very quick and averaged 27 miles per gallon when I drove it across the country with the top down, smoking cigars with the Infinity system cranked. It also has a trunk that I could stuff 4 dead bodies in. Yeah, I bought it off of EBay and flew to Los Angeles to pick it up........love the car.......
By the way, I have hair, don't wear hats....... never have and it's convertible not convertable.

sundaydriver
04-02-2011, 12:25 PM
It's so funny listening to some dumbass kid talk about old people or what someone wears........ like a sideways or backwards giant baseball cap is the definition of fashion sense. Say what you want about my Sebring, it's very quick and averaged 27 miles per gallon when I drove it across the country with the top down, smoking cigars with the Infinity system cranked. It also has a trunk that I could stuff 4 dead bodies in. Yeah, I bought it off of EBay and flew to Los Angeles to pick it up........love the car.......
By the way, I have hair, don't wear hats....... never have and it's convertible not convertable.

It always seemed to me that the people that thought those cars were "sporty" were people who got old at a very young age.

Me, "dumbass kid" is a senior citizen that just got done doing a few 0-120 mph pulls in my 450 hp "old mans" weekend toy that still gets 26 mpg on the highway. Trust me if you think the Sebring is quick I do have a turbo 4 cyl semi daily driver that would make you wet your pants!

The convertable was correct as it refers to Chrysler's styling.

And the 4 dead bodies in the trunk must be the previous owners! :laugh:

KarlMarx
04-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. If you want a car that is good on gas mileage and reliable, consider a Corolla. I've had two and both were good cars. My 2nd Corolla got 30 MPG in town. I had it for nearly 13 years and just traded it in at 146,000 miles. The problem I see with the Prius is the extra you pay for its electric technology that, while impressive, doesn't justify its extra cost (I think, in order to recoup the cost, gasoline would have to be about 8 dollars a gallon).

BTW... I now drive a Camry because it's roomier, although the mileage is not quite as good. I am expecting to keep it quite a while.. perhaps until I retire (or longer, depending on how long I can hold on to my job)

DragonStryk72
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. If you want a car that is good on gas mileage and reliable, consider a Corolla. I've had two and both were good cars. My 2nd Corolla got 30 MPG in town. I had it for nearly 13 years and just traded it in at 146,000 miles. The problem I see with the Prius is the extra you pay for its electric technology that, while impressive, doesn't justify its extra cost (I think, in order to recoup the cost, gasoline would have to be about 8 dollars a gallon).

BTW... I now drive a Camry because it's roomier, although the mileage is not quite as good. I am expecting to keep it quite a while.. perhaps until I retire (or longer, depending on how long I can hold on to my job)

Actually, over the long term, you'll spend far less on the electronics than you would on a standard combustion engine, due to the lack of many of the mechanical parts that require upkeep, so really you save money overall on a hybrid vehicle than a standard combustion vehicle.

Psychoblues
04-03-2011, 02:43 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, zero. I find the Prius attractive on a number of levels. My doctor has a Sebring ragtop. He bitches about it all the time but he bought his for the same reason you bought yours. It was cheap, cheap, cheap. You need to check your numbers as well, zero. So as not to make a complete fool of you I will not at this time correct your misinformation.

Psychochoblues

Psychoblues
04-03-2011, 02:50 PM
A Toyota Pious eh?

You got it, fj!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the G/L and a very good day, week and month to you, sir!!!!!!

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Psychochoblues

Psychoblues
04-03-2011, 08:06 PM

o
KM, I used to think just like you but a Prius owner that I met in the service waiting area at my dealership got me straight on the Prius. The Prius is NEVER plugged up. The life span of the Prius battery pack is unknown as it has only been out for 13 years and the return rate is inconsistent at best but mostly nonexistent. Genuine Toyota oil and filter changes are recommended only each 10,000 miles as the gas engine is used much less than in conventional automobiles. And then, at my dealership all maintenance including oil changes are free for 4 years or 50,000 miles. And then the oil and filter changes are only $19.95. All in all I don't see how you can beat it!!!!!!!

I have also owned 2 Corolla's, KM. They were truly great cars and a service minded car owners dream!!!!!!!! But, there is always a but, my wife totalled the second one and got hurt in really a very minor accident. She refuses to get back in one now. The Prius, however, is more like the Camry in comfort, size and weight and comes with many more standard features than the Corolla. And, I drove my Prius brand new off the showroom floor for only $22,000, no trade.

Psychochoblues

Abbey Marie
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM

If you do a little digging around here, you may see a picture of Sitarro. I can tell you, he is a far cry from what you describe.

KarlMarx
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
o
KM, I used to think just like you but a Prius owner that I met in the service waiting area at my dealership got me straight on the Prius. The Prius is NEVER plugged up. The life span of the Prius battery pack is unknown as it has only been out for 13 years and the return rate is inconsistent at best but mostly nonexistent. Genuine Toyota oil and filter changes are recommended only each 10,000 miles as the gas engine is used much less than in conventional automobiles. And then, at my dealership all maintenance including oil changes are free for 4 years or 50,000 miles. And then the oil and filter changes are only $19.95. All in all I don't see how you can beat it!!!!!!!

I have also owned 2 Corolla's, KM. They were truly great cars and a service minded car owners dream!!!!!!!! But, there is always a but, my wife totalled the second one and got hurt in really a very minor accident. She refuses to get back in one now. The Prius, however, is more like the Camry in comfort, size and weight and comes with many more standard features than the Corolla. And, I drove my Prius brand new off the showroom floor for only $22,000, no trade.

Psychochoblues

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that Priuses were more expensive than that (perhaps they were when they first came out). I haven't had an accident in over 30 years, so I can't speak to the safety of the Corrolla (well, they're safe when I'm driving them! :) ). I'm like the little old lady from Pasedena.. I had a car for 13 years and bought it with 17,000 miles on it already, I traded it in at 146,000.. do the math, I think it's something like 10,000 miles a year ... being a homebody does have it benefits.

PostmodernProphet
04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
They are completely self sufficient needing only gas and oil changes every 10,000 miles and they are free

dang, I want one too......even the mounts in World of Warcraft cost 3 gold.....

NightTrain
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
dang, I want one too......even the mounts in World of Warcraft cost 3 gold.....

I wonder if Psycho's is Epic Purple?

KitchenKitten99
04-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Sebring convertibles were the most common car the Mr. and I saw in Miami when we were there 2 years ago. Aside from BMWs and Mercedes, etc.

I drove one in Vegas 5 years ago, and I thought it was a very fun car. Definitely on the radar for my next car once my 00 Impala LS ceases to be functional. However I have nearly 200k on her, and she's still going strong... Some small issues but nothing that prevents it from being driveable. So, I will drive her til she dies. And she gets avg 29mpg highway, but hates city driving (18mpg). She was meant for cruising...and she does so very well. :cool:

KitchenKitten99
04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
A Toyota Pious eh?

I pick Priuses out of the grill of my Impala... :cool:

(yeah I kinda stole that line, so what?)

Kathianne
04-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Sebring convertibles were the most common car the Mr. and I saw in Miami when we were there 2 years ago. Aside from BMWs and Mercedes, etc.

I drove one in Vegas 5 years ago, and I thought it was a very fun car. Definitely on the radar for my next car once my 00 Impala LS ceases to be functional. However I have nearly 200k on her, and she's still going strong... Some small issues but nothing that prevents it from being driveable. So, I will drive her til she dies. And she gets avg 29mpg highway, but hates city driving (18mpg). She was meant for cruising...and she does so very well. :cool:

I agree, fun car to drive. I really liked my LeBaron convertible back in '95. A bit smaller than the Sebring, which suited me fine.

PostmodernProphet
04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
how did you know I bought purple.....have you been stalking me in Orgrimmar?....

logroller
04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
If you do a little digging around here, you may see a picture of Sitarro. I can tell you, he is a far cry from what you describe.

Perhaps Sitarro can make the Sebring look cool. I, on the other hand, could make a Harley look dorky.:laugh:

NightTrain
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
how did you know I bought purple.....have you been stalking me in Orgrimmar?....

I'm pretty sure I saw it in Alterac Valley in the middle of a POM-Pyro.

Abbey Marie
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Perhaps Sitarro can make the Sebring look cool. I, on the other hand, could make a Harley look dorky.:laugh:

Yes, I think he can. And I love a self-deprecating man. :laugh: