PDA

View Full Version : Anti-smoking milestone reached in U.S.

jimnyc
01-20-2007, 08:47 AM
RENO, Nev. - Thirty years after it began as just another quirky movement in Berkeley, Calif., the push to ban smoking in restaurants, bars and other public places has reached a national milestone.

For the first time in the nation's history, more than half of Americans live in a city or state with laws mandating that workplaces, restaurants or bars be smoke-free, according to Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights.

"The movement for smoke-free air has gone from being a California oddity to the nationwide norm," said Bronson Frick, the group's associate director. "We think 100 percent of Americans will live in smoke-free jurisdictions within a few years."

Seven states and 116 communities enacted tough smoke-free laws last year, bringing the total number to 22 states and 577 municipalities, according to the group. Nevada's ban, which went into effect Dec. 8, increased the total U.S. population covered by any type of smokefree law to 50.2 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_he_me/smoke_free_america

jimnyc
01-20-2007, 08:51 AM
and now I understand in my area they are trying to pass a law where you cannot smoke in a vehicle while a child is on board.

I understand the passion to allow non-smokers the right to not have to breathe in second hand smoke, and for children to be protected, but pretty soon I'll have to stay home 24hrs a day just so I can smoke!

I demand equal rights and think laws should be changed to give my habit equal protection. If a non-smoker can enjoy their meal or drinks without a smoke, I deserve to enjoy both with my smokes! :wink2:

Gunny
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
RENO, Nev. - Thirty years after it began as just another quirky movement in Berkeley, Calif., the push to ban smoking in restaurants, bars and other public places has reached a national milestone.

For the first time in the nation's history, more than half of Americans live in a city or state with laws mandating that workplaces, restaurants or bars be smoke-free, according to Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights.

"The movement for smoke-free air has gone from being a California oddity to the nationwide norm," said Bronson Frick, the group's associate director. "We think 100 percent of Americans will live in smoke-free jurisdictions within a few years."

Seven states and 116 communities enacted tough smoke-free laws last year, bringing the total number to 22 states and 577 municipalities, according to the group. Nevada's ban, which went into effect Dec. 8, increased the total U.S. population covered by any type of smokefree law to 50.2 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_he_me/smoke_free_america

You're not going along with the program. Go face the mirror and repeat 500 times a day: "There is no such thing as a slippery slope."

Gaffer
01-20-2007, 01:26 PM
The anti-smoking nazis are making more inroads all the time. That's why I don't go anywhere any more. I don't go out and socialize or drink. I won't fly anywhere. Its my own little boycott of everything. And when they make it illegal I will become a criminal.

:upyours: the anti-smoking nazis.