PDA

View Full Version : The Incredible Shrinking Male

Hobbit
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Great article about how artificial insemination and the legal questions that follow are ruining culture, degrading the role of fathers, and leading men to get paid for the very behavior they're villified for (fathering a child and then just walking away).

One of the main points I like is showing how laws that were intended to solve the problem of a baby with two fathers are now creating babies with no father, whatsoever, and that this attitude seems to be making adults happy at the expense of their children.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_2_artificial_insemination.html

Yurt
05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I guess I am wondering if, like the husb/wife scenario in the article, was this woman not able to conceive? If not, did the "friend" donor know? If he did know, then the "friend" thing might have a case, assuming they had a more than "friend" relationship. If she could conceive, then I don't buy this guy's story at all.

As to the morality or reality of this, it does raise interesting questions. But back to the husb/wife scenario, should it only be allowed for them?

darin
05-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Fathers are becoming marginalized; Men in General. :( It's a clear display of a titanic shift away from the Natural Order God has ordained.

manu1959
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
without invitro i would not have a daughter......

Lightning Waltz
05-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I thought this was a post about jumping into a swimming pool at the beginning of May...

Hobbit
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I thought this was a post about jumping into a swimming pool at the beginning of May...

That would have been 'the incredible shrinking member' and would have been in the lounge section, or possibly the science section if it was about why such phenomena occur.

No, this is about artificial insemination and how it, among other things, is degrading the role of the father in society.

Nienna
05-09-2007, 02:27 PM
A well-loved teacher in my town recently died from a blood clot in her lungs. She was taking fertility treatments--the likely cause of the blood clot. I am very thankful that we never had trouble conceiving, and it IS a special thing to have a child in your body, so I know I don't have a good POV on this. However, meaning no disrespect to people who have undergone AI or fertility treatments... why not adopt? I know there are roadblocks, but the same could be said about AI and FT.

Hagbard Celine
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Fathers are becoming marginalized; Men in General. :( It's a clear display of a titanic shift away from the Natural Order God has ordained.

You know, many female spiders eat their males after they have used them for insemination...

Lightning Waltz
05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
A well-loved teacher in my town recently died from a blood clot in her lungs. She was taking fertility treatments--the likely cause of the blood clot. I am very thankful that we never had trouble conceiving, and it IS a special thing to have a child in your body, so I know I don't have a good POV on this. However, meaning no disrespect to people who have undergone AI or fertility treatments... why not adopt? I know there are roadblocks, but the same could be said about AI and FT.

There are medical risks for doing anything. The chance of Ovarian Hyper-stimulation Syndrome is less than 1%. The chance of dying from a blood clot do to Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome is considerably less likely.

As for adoption, yes, there are a lot of problems with it. Why not have both as an option?

BTW, the article, as I read it, isn't about fertility techniques in general, but what happens when there is a custody dispute when fertility techniques are used and there was no clear-cut contract.

Yurt
05-09-2007, 08:59 PM
You know, many female spiders eat their males after they have used them for insemination...

Thats not the natural order DMP was talking about. Certain things have changed since sin has entered the world. God did not intend people to die, etc...