PDA

View Full Version : D.C Delegate to Congress: "Go straight to hell"

Thunderknuckles
04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I'll agree with her comments but not why she made it.
Apparently, D.C. delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton is angry over a provision in the GOP budget bill that bans federal and local tax dollars being used to pay for abortions in D.C. She states "this is the functional equivalent of bombing innocent civilians"

Now, I don't care about the abortion debate. What really pisses me off is the use of such hyperbole. It's way off the charts. Does she actually believe what is coming out of her mouth?

Link to the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/07/dc-delegate-tells-congress-straight-hell-budget-battle/

logroller
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Nice post, great comments. What a joke this lady is, she can't justify her position, so she implies they're terrorists-- Sen. McCarthy would be so proud. The real kick in the pants is, if we were to assume these GOP persons were engaged in terrorist activities, how is taking away funding supportive of some heinous mission? Are we aborting future terrorists? I'd like to hear more of the context of her quote, not that it would justify her reasoning, but it would help me to understand the logic these opponants of smaller govt use so I could better combat their tomfoolery.

DragonStryk72
04-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I'll agree with her comments but not why she made it.
Apparently, D.C. delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton is angry over a provision in the GOP budget bill that bans federal and local tax dollars being used to pay for abortions in D.C. She states "this is the functional equivalent of bombing innocent civilians"

Now, I don't care about the abortion debate. What really pisses me off is the use of such hyperbole. It's way off the charts. Does she actually believe what is coming out of her mouth?

Link to the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/07/dc-delegate-tells-congress-straight-hell-budget-battle/

Okay, my brain is breaking. So now, trying to curb abortion is the functional equivalent of killing innocent children with explosives? I just... how do you even get from one end of that argument to the other? Forget the whole abortion debate, I'm stuck on how in the hell one is equivalent to the other?

logroller
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
It seems Fox news may have connected two dots that weren't necessarily inline. She was referring to government shutdown of DC being the equivalent, not abortion funding per se. I guess DC has its own laws which allow for local government to fund abortions, but as DC is partially (I'm guessing a big part) funded by the feds, without the COTUS protections of a state, Congress has final say over the laws of the district. She's just mad b/c a fe shutdown would devastate their economy because its so heavily subsidized by federal funding.

OldMercsRule
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
It seems Fox news may have connected two dots that weren't necessarily inline. She was referring to government shutdown of DC being the equivalent, not abortion funding per se. I guess DC has its own laws which allow for local government to fund abortions, but as DC is partially (I'm guessing a big part) funded by the feds, without the COTUS protections of a state, Congress has final say over the laws of the district. She's just mad b/c a fe shutdown would devastate their economy because its so heavily subsidized by federal funding.

You can even put together a few decent werds from time to time eh? :thumb: :2up:

logroller
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
You can even put together a few decent werds from time to time eh? :thumb: :2up:

Likewise:beer:

OldMercsRule
04-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Likewise:beer:

Yer on a roll taday.......:happy0203: n' I'm not talkin' about logs neither..... :happy0203: