PDA

View Full Version : Time's up: Obama and GOP scramble to halt shutdown

OldMercsRule
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SPENDING_SHOWDOWN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-08-07-37-36

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Uncomfortably close to a deadline, President Barack Obama and top congressional leaders have only hours to avert a Friday midnight government shutdown that all sides say would inconvenience millions of people and damage a still fragile economy.

Obama said he still hoped to announce an agreement on Friday but did not have "wild optimism." "

Notice how the press is providin' cover fer Obamaprompter. Not good fer the Republicans or the future of our great Republic.

The dim wit Democrats exponentially ramped up spendin' after George W Bush's spree.... grrrrrrrrr.

The dim wit Democrats didn't do their Cornstitutional duty ta pass a budget, (on purpose fer political reasons), fer 2010 where they only had all three branches of Gubment..... :laugh2:

The back bencher POTUS we have who always votes: "present" is tryin' ta play "rope a dope", with the Republicans. Grrrrrrr :poop:

He can't lead..... should be obvious ta even the dimmist of wits, at this point...... :laugh2:

Sadly.....sniff..... sniff....... it likely will not be obvious ta the dimmist of wits, (who already voted fer Obamapromper the Chicago thug fruit fly in 2008). :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Very interestin' times we now live in.....

It's good ta be alive!!!

Me overpriced $.02. JR

:boobies:

logroller
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SPENDING_SHOWDOWN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-08-07-37-36

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Uncomfortably close to a deadline, President Barack Obama and top congressional leaders have only hours to avert a Friday midnight government shutdown that all sides say would inconvenience millions of people and damage a still fragile economy.

Obama said he still hoped to announce an agreement on Friday but did not have "wild optimism." "

[COLOR="blue"]

The dim wit Democrats didn't do their Cornstitutional duty ta pass a budget, (on purpose fer political reasons), fer 2010 where they only had all three branches of Gubment..... :laugh2:

Working out a balanced budget...that must be one of those "inconveniences".

Kathianne
04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
We'll see where this all goes. Right now from the bits I've been able to glean, the Democrats are trying to say 'abortion' and 'Planned Parenthood' are the stumbling blocks. Not a chance. But will the public buy it?

I'm not so sure. Paul Ryan's plan may have some problems, but unlike Obama, the administration, the legislature in general, he put something out there. A start. Which Obama refuses to addresses in conversation. I'm not so sure the public is missing this. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

logroller
04-08-2011, 08:05 PM
We'll see where this all goes. Right now from the bits I've been able to glean, the Democrats are trying to say 'abortion' and 'Planned Parenthood' are the stumbling blocks. Not a chance. But will the public buy it?

I'm not so sure. Paul Ryan's plan may have some problems, but unlike Obama, the administration, the legislature in general, he put something out there. A start. Which Obama refuses to addresses in conversation. I'm not so sure the public is missing this. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

I looked the poll numbers on that site, very expansive. As looked over all these polls I couldn't help but wonder how much money is spent conducting such research. Kinda disgusted me to be honest, as it reminded me how much more is likely spent to influence the dynamic response to bills/officials such polls measure.

Planned parenthood---As though govt abortions were somehow responsible for our budget deficit or are at the crux of the govt healthcare issue???puhlease. Sure, govt spending on stuff they shouldn't certainly includes abortion, but hotbutton topics just muddy the principle of the matter. It just baffles my mind how easily swayed we, the general public, are by our emotions, when every logical argument concludes govt is bloated beyond its financial means and constitutional model.

Kathianne
04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I looked the poll numbers on that site, very expansive. As looked over all these polls I couldn't help but wonder how much money is spent conducting such research. Kinda disgusted me to be honest, as it reminded me how much more is likely spent to influence the dynamic response to bills/officials such polls measure.

Planned parenthood---As though govt abortions were somehow responsible for our budget deficit or are at the crux of the govt healthcare issue???puhlease. Sure, govt spending on stuff they shouldn't certainly includes abortion, but hotbutton topics just muddy the principle of the matter. It just baffles my mind how easily swayed we, the general public, are by our emotions, when every logical argument concludes govt is bloated beyond its financial means and constitutional model.

Well you for one are buying the Dems talking points. I may be wrong as I'd put you in the thinking category.

Missileman
04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I heard that approximately 800,000 non-essential federal employees might be affected. I wonder why it doesn't occur to anyone in DC that there shouldn't be ANY non-essential federal employees.

Gaffer
04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I heard that approximately 800,000 non-essential federal employees might be affected. I wonder why it doesn't occur to anyone in DC that there shouldn't be ANY non-essential federal employees.

That is such a true statement. Send those non essential employees home for good.That alone would put a big dent in the budget.

logroller
04-08-2011, 10:15 PM
That is such a true statement. Send those non essential employees home for good.That alone would put a big dent in the budget.

But think of the inconveniences, like individual freedom and personal responsibility.

Kathianne
04-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Well they cut some, we'll see if they work out the details.

Kathianne
04-09-2011, 07:37 AM
While many seemed to have thought that the GOP members could somehow use their pick ups in the House last election to totally change the direction, it doesn't work that way. However they did, especially thanks to Paul Ryan, change from 'should we cut' to 'where will we cut' in 6 months. Not bad at all:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/264308/boehner-wins-big-andrew-stiles

Boehner Wins Big
By Andrew Stiles
Posted on April 09, 2011 2:21 AM

President Obama’s 2011 budget called for a spending increase of $40 billion. Tonight, he touted a bipartisan agreement on “the largest annual spending cut in our history” — some $38.5 billion [emphasis added]. All told, he got $78.5 billion less than he originally requested.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) didn’t want to cut anything at first. But bowing to political reality, eventually ponied up about $4.7 billion in cuts. He ended up with $33.8 billion less spending than he wanted. And he called it an “historic” accomplishment. (Not surprisingly, the left is appalled).

House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio), on the other hand, initially proposed $32 billion in spending cuts. House Republicans, led by an undaunted freshman class, bumped that number up to $61 billion ($100 billion off the president’s budget), before settling on $38.5 billion. That’s $6.5 billion more than Boehner asked for to begin with, and $5.5 billion more than the $33 billion that Vice President Joe Biden and Senate Democrats claimed had been agreed to less than two weeks ago. It remains to be seen how much of that will be cuts to discretionary spending, but all told it would appear that we’'ll see a substantial reduction in baseline spending that will yield hundreds of billions in savings over the next decade.

But unlike Obama and Reid, the speaker didn’t quite feel the need to pat himself on the back over it. “We fought to keep government spending down,” he told reporters in a brief speech after the deal was announced. And they’ll keep fighting, because the biggest battles — over the debt limit and the 2012 budget — are still to come...

LuvRPgrl
04-16-2011, 07:11 PM
While many seemed to have thought that the GOP members could somehow use their pick ups in the House last election to totally change the direction, it doesn't work that way. However they did, especially thanks to Paul Ryan, change from 'should we cut' to 'where will we cut' in 6 months. Not bad at all:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/264308/boehner-wins-big-andrew-stiles

I dont follow the numbers on this stuff, so, my question is, is it a "cut" or a reduction in how much its rising>?

Kathianne
04-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I dont follow the numbers on this stuff, so, my question is, is it a "cut" or a reduction in how much its rising>?

Time will tell, the hard work is ahead. The direction though is right, stop what started under Bush and accelerated under Obama.

Missileman
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM

I'm hearing it was mostly slight of hand and the deal actually only cut 350 million with an M. They counted shit like not spending money left over from the 2010 census.