PDA

View Full Version : Sports star fined for saying "faggot"

jimnyc
04-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Kobe Bryant, star of the Los Angeles Lakers, was fined $100k yesterday for mouthing the word "faggot" after receiving a technical foul during a game. Then he was more or less forced to call the faggot worshipers at "glaad" and apologize for using such nasty language.

Amazing, they call themselves faggot and queer, but when a normal person uses the word it's as if they committed a crime.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Apu_4DjfzRixJMRz7.jBbPe8vLYF?slug=ap-lakers-bryantslur

logroller
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Kobe Bryant, star of the Los Angeles Lakers, was fined $100k yesterday for mouthing the word "faggot" after receiving a technical foul during a game. Then he was more or less forced to call the faggot worshipers at "glaad" and apologize for using such nasty language.

Amazing, they call themselves faggot and queer, but when a normal person uses the word it's as if they committed a crime.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Apu_4DjfzRixJMRz7.jBbPe8vLYF?slug=ap-lakers-bryantslur

Its just unsportsmanlike, that's why they fined him. If he'd of called him a a racial slur, i imagine the fine would've been the same.

darin
04-14-2011, 10:21 PM
it's sick - it's a sign of our society's failures - not the name call...the fine. We protect everybody from things anyone could remotely find offensive.

Sitarro
04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Isn't that a cigarette?

logroller
04-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Isn't that a cigarette?

Kobe did play in Europe:laugh:

fj1200
04-15-2011, 06:46 AM
it's sick - it's a sign of our society's failures - not the name call...the fine. We protect everybody from things anyone could remotely find offensive.

He's an employee who brought unwanted attention to his employer while on the job; this isn't a free speech or societal issue.

jimnyc
04-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Its just unsportsmanlike, that's why they fined him. If he'd of called him a a racial slur, i imagine the fine would've been the same.

Even the commissioner, who levied the fine, specifically called him out for the word and stated "a distasteful term should never be tolerated".

Yet if you watch ANY basketball game you can read their lips and see the F word used probably hundreds of times per game. So it's ok to say fuck but say faggot just once and it'll cost you $100k!

jimnyc
04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
He's an employee who brought unwanted attention to his employer while on the job; this isn't a free speech or societal issue.

It is when the commissioner and owners cater to deviants trying to be accepted in society, and they do so in the name of political correctness.

fj1200
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
It is when the commissioner and owners cater to deviants trying to be accepted in society, and they do so in the name of political correctness.

That's your term and apparently not the Association's viewpoint. You can call it political correctness and they can call it what they will but they are a private enterprise that can choose not to piss off a significant demographic of fans, especially in LA. This is not something to get worked up about.

Gaffer
04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
It's the usual political correctness trying to suppress free speech. This is actually a first amendment issue. It's a private organization suppressing speech in this case.

fj1200
04-15-2011, 04:27 PM
It's the usual political correctness trying to suppress free speech. This is actually a first amendment issue. It's a private organization suppressing speech in this case.

No it's not. Kobe Bryant doesn't have freedom of speech while he's wearing a Lakers uniform.

Kathianne
04-15-2011, 04:29 PM
No it's not. Kobe Bryant doesn't have freedom of speech while he's wearing a Lakers uniform.

I get that, but then they need to set some forbidden words. As Jim said, we're not 'protected' from many mouthed words that are extremely offensive to many. I've seen the F word lots of time, even MF. Bitch is common.

logroller
04-15-2011, 05:50 PM

They do it because it affects potential advertising dollars and their bottom line. The mission of a business is to make money! No matter the issue, if advertisers become hesitant to fork over the millions of dollars they do, a business will take whatever measures necessary to restore their confidence.

jimnyc
04-16-2011, 08:34 AM
They do it because it affects potential advertising dollars and their bottom line. The mission of a business is to make money! No matter the issue, if advertisers become hesitant to fork over the millions of dollars they do, a business will take whatever measures necessary to restore their confidence.

Hence my posting this in the first place, and speaking about our "society". We won't fine and/or discourage when people are saying "fuck, bitch, motherfucker, jerk off..." but call someone a term that the "offended" already call one another and you will lose advertising AND money from your own wallet via fines.

LuvRPgrl
04-16-2011, 11:29 AM

I wonder what would have happened had Magic Johnson said it?

logroller
04-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Hence my posting this in the first place, and speaking about our "society". We won't fine and/or discourage when people are saying "fuck, bitch, motherfucker, jerk off..." but call someone a term that the "offended" already call one another and you will lose advertising AND money from your own wallet via fines.
Hey now, I resemble those comments, I'm so offended. Jimmy, you should fine yourself.:laugh:
Seriously though, We didn't fine him for saying anything, the NBA, a private business did. We, meaning govt on our behalf, actually do fine networks for explicatiives, and its being reviewed for being "constitutionally vague".http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/465888-FCC_Source_Justice_Undecided_On_Fox_Profanity_Appe al.php

Let's be honest, to Bryant $100k isn't exactly big money. Bryant had a problem with the actions taken against him on the court and he handled it poorly. Whether or not you have a problem with what he said, he nonetheless could have handled it better. Media wants to make this about what he said, when in reality, the league's fine serves two purposes. Primarily, its to protect the officials, if Kobe had made a similar comment on the court to an opponant, I don't think this would have received near the attention it has. Which leads me to the second purpose; its to save face in light of the media attention. If droppin an f-bomb or insulting a fan got the same attention, they'd fine him for that too.

This isn't exactly unprecedented behavior by a league either. Traditionally in baseball, calling the ump a c*cksucker gets you ejected from the game. If management feels being ejected compromises their money or abilty to win, they too could fine the player-- that's their freedom, just as its player's freedom to say what he wishs.

LuvRPgrl
04-16-2011, 01:03 PM

They have gained control over us thru political correctness, and we lay down like sheep to the slaughter,

By getting control of:

education, they brainwash our kids
thru income tax, they control the spending of the adults
thru no fault divorce they break up the family
thru political correctness, they control the speech of everyone

logroller
04-16-2011, 04:42 PM
They have gained control over us thru political correctness, and we lay down like sheep to the slaughter,

By getting control of:

education, they brainwash our kids
thru income tax, they control the spending of the adults
thru no fault divorce they break up the family
thru political correctness, they control the speech of everyone

Nice one. Nothing backs up a strawman like rhetoric.:laugh2:

LuvRPgrl
04-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey now, I resemble those comments, I'm so offended. Jimmy, you should fine yourself.:laugh:
Seriously though, We didn't fine him for saying anything, the NBA, a private business did. We, meaning govt on our behalf, actually do fine networks for explicatiives, and its being reviewed for being "constitutionally vague".http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/465888-FCC_Source_Justice_Undecided_On_Fox_Profanity_Appe al.php

Let's be honest, to Bryant $100k isn't exactly big money. Bryant had a problem with the actions taken against him on the court and he handled it poorly. Whether or not you have a problem with what he said, he nonetheless could have handled it better. Media wants to make this about what he said, when in reality, the league's fine serves two purposes. Primarily, its to protect the officials, if Kobe had made a similar comment on the court to an opponant, I don't think this would have received near the attention it has. Which leads me to the second purpose; its to save face in light of the media attention. If droppin an f-bomb or insulting a fan got the same attention, they'd fine him for that too.

This isn't exactly unprecedented behavior by a league either. Traditionally in baseball, calling the ump a c*cksucker gets you ejected from the game. If management feels being ejected compromises their money or abilty to win, they too could fine the player-- that's their freedom, just as its player's freedom to say what he wishs.

R the big three pro sports in America really private corps?
You do realize that many of the stadiums are are built with subsidized dollars from the taxpayers

U ever wonder why pro baseball was exempted for so long from the anti trust laws, and the "reserve clause" was allowed to continue.

The line between mega business and govt is blurry at best
note(see info about bank and auto maker bailouts below)

logroller
04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
R the big three pro sports in America really private corps?
In a word, yes.

You do realize that many of the stadiums are are built with subsidized dollars from the taxpayers
As much as I realize they bring in big bucks to local economies.

U ever wonder why pro baseball was exempted for so long from the anti trust laws, and the "reserve clause" was allowed to continue.
No, I can't say that I have. Nor do I care if they use steroids. Just as long as they keep hitting dingers, I'll tune in.

The line between mega business and govt is blurry at best
note(see info about bank and auto maker bailouts below)

and calling people faggots is gonna change all that? Look I hate the collusion between big business and govt too. BigPhrma tops the list IMO. But I don't really see how a NBA fine of one of its players has anything to do with anything you've mentioned.