PDA

View Full Version : Jerome is sick

jimnyc
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
My Pug started coughing/weezing a few days ago. It was as if he were a cat and had a hairball he was trying to cough up, or vomit. Once it persisted too long, I brought him to an emergency vet last night. It turns out he has what they refer to as a "collapsing trachea", which is a weakening of the trachea and it gets thinner/shorter in a particular area. It makes it a little more difficult for the dog to breath, and also leaves a weird feeling in his chest causing him to want to cough to get rid of it.

They put him on a few different medications, and I also need to have him lose some weight. Other than that, there really isn't a cure. With some weight loss and the medication they say you can manage it a bit, and that it's a fairly common affliction amongst toy dogs. He also hasn't eaten since he has started the meds, but that's listed as a side effect for both of them.

Also, he bit one of the vets when they tried to give him some X-rays. Even worse, it's been longer than a year since he had his rabies booster shot, so they called the department of health on me! I'll probably have to keep him quarantined at home for 10 days, but there's an outside possibility that they'll make me pay to have him stay at a vet for the next 10 days.

Poor dog, he had that horrible eye surgery and barely sees out of his one eye. He's about deaf in both ears. He's 12, so of course he's slower than he used to be. I'll have to monitor him extremely closely going forward and hope he can overcome yet another hurdle. He's brought me so much love in the past 12 years and has been with me every step of my life - so it's worth every penny, and then some, that I have spent to make him happy and healthier.

Kathianne
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about Jerome, seems he's been a very faithful friend. I hope he gets better.

Abbey Marie
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I hope he gets to stay at home with you. The vet can be so stressful.
Hugs to Jerome.

jimnyc
09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I never did update this thread and I guess I was hoping I never would have to. I can't recall how many days, but Jerome's symptoms from the trachea issue subsided after taking the cough suppressant and some antibiotics. Unfortunately it returned some time last week. We tried with the cough medicine but brought him to the vet when it kept up. She gave us a different cough medicine this time and the same antibiotic medicine. For the most part, he starts with the "goose honk coughing" only when he becomes active - but the worst part is from like 4am till like 7am when he takes his medicine. I guess something with the sleeping or lying down affects him a lot. I'm hoping this round of medications help. The vet said she may have to try some steroid medicine but only as a last resort because that has it's issues as well. We'll have to give it another 3-4 days I guess to see if this medicine will help again.

Funny thing is, with all of his ailments, he never ceases to have his eyes bug out and try and steal food, or beg if he thinks it'll work! The vet said that his coughing probably hurts me more than it does him - but who can't feel for a dog that coughs all day and sometimes sounds like he's choking a bit? I imagine it bothers him more than the vet thinks.

He lost 7lbs since this thread was started anyway! His treats have changed over to carrots, broccoli, apples and other veggies - and he loves them! Then again, he ate a rock and a clump of dirt when he was younger... oh, and cat poop. No lie.

red states rule
09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear he is doing good. Keep us updated and post some pics of him

jimnyc
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Glad to hear he is doing good. Keep us updated and post some pics of him

He's actually back where he was at the beginning, coughing morning, noon and night. It's the sound a dog/cat makes when they are coughing up a hairball or similar, only no hairball is there. It's just the feeling he has in his throat as a result of the issue with his trachea. It's gotta be frustrating to continually try and clear his throat when it doesn't have anything in it to begin with. But sometimes the amount of coughing can be related to other things and infections, hence the medicines.

He was coughing a bit earlier as he was riled about up his dinner, and then again when he thought he was going to eat my dinner. And God forbid he stay calm while cooking... He's GOT to struggle and make sure you're aware he is following your every move. I suppose he's reminding me in case I decide to share. And with all that, I guess I should be happy that he is still very active and hungry!

red states rule
09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
He's actually back where he was at the beginning, coughing morning, noon and night. It's the sound a dog/cat makes when they are coughing up a hairball or similar, only no hairball is there. It's just the feeling he has in his throat as a result of the issue with his trachea. It's gotta be frustrating to continually try and clear his throat when it doesn't have anything in it to begin with. But sometimes the amount of coughing can be related to other things and infections, hence the medicines.

He was coughing a bit earlier as he was riled about up his dinner, and then again when he thought he was going to eat my dinner. And God forbid he stay calm while cooking... He's GOT to struggle and make sure you're aware he is following your every move. I suppose he's reminding me in case I decide to share. And with all that, I guess I should be happy that he is still very active and hungry!

He is your buddy Jim, and he loves you. I am glad he is back with you. Someone has to keep your ass straight :laugh2:

Trigg
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
sorry to head about your pug. Hope he starts to feel better, dogs are such a huge part of a family

sundaydriver
09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the pooch Jimmy. I'm going thru the same thing with the "honking cough" due to the dogs enlarged heart pushing fluids into the lungs. It's tough for us but we just want our pets to be comfortable and as well as they can be some it's for them we feel bad, not so much ourselves.

Nothing like what sounds like a gaggle of geese honking from under my bed at all hours of the nite, besides scaring the hell out of the local deer during our walks.

jimnyc
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
sorry to head about your pug. Hope he starts to feel better, dogs are such a huge part of a family

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the pooch Jimmy. I'm going thru the same thing with the "honking cough" due to the dogs enlarged heart pushing fluids into the lungs. It's tough for us but we just want our pets to be comfortable and as well as they can be some it's for them we feel bad, not so much ourselves.

Nothing like what sounds like a gaggle of geese honking from under my bed at all hours of the nite, besides scaring the hell out of the local deer during our walks.

What kind of dog do you have? I'm guessing a small one with the cough. It's so hard to deal with sicknesses with our animals as we can't always "say" to them what we want, only make them comfortable like you said and show them some love. I've shown my 2 TOO much love and the little bastards think they own the house now!

I just took this one of Jerome. He's at my feet under my computer and luckily quite for now.

http://i55.tinypic.com/15mo4s9.jpg

sundaydriver
09-14-2011, 07:46 PM
2438Cute little guy! Mine is a Dalmation, pointer mix. $10 dog from the pound 11 years ago. Mine is outside hangin with the cats so I'll just post a pic.

jimnyc
09-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Never heard of the honking cough with one of them, aren't the Dalmation's rather large? Was he diagnosed with the collapsing trachea, or does he just happen to have the goose honk cough?

sundaydriver
09-14-2011, 07:52 PM
A solid 59 lbs., medium sized. The cough is from congestive heart failure pushing fluid into the lungs. Th cough is trying to expectorate the fluid.

chloe
09-14-2011, 08:03 PM
He's darling looking just so cute, I am sorry too hear about everything your dog is going through.

jimnyc
09-14-2011, 08:16 PM
A solid 59 lbs., medium sized. The cough is from congestive heart failure pushing fluid into the lungs. Th cough is trying to expectorate the fluid.

I'm sorry, I'm a dope. I just read your post and centered on the cough and blocked out the rest and asked you why he had the goose honk! That must mean it's time for my nightly happy medicine! LOL

That sucks though. And the things we go through to help them! Is there anything long term you can do for him?

My dog gets treated like one of my sons! We're up to about $10k all told with all of his emergencies, surgeries & medicines. My poor dog is starting to look like a vet who has been through a few wars!

sundaydriver
09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
No it is just a matter of time. Has had a heart murmur for 7 years with no problems until this past winter when the "honking" started and the vet did the diagnosis. He gets 2 heat pills and 3 diuretic pills a day. Mostly he okay but humid days are his worst. Just had another EKG and will possibly get a scan to see which heart valve it is.

Money isn't the object just lack of options that may not be worse for him. 13 and has had a great life and would I want to put him thru what may not better his quality of life.

SassyLady
09-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Jim....so sorry to hear about Jerome being sick, but happy to hear that you can help him some with the meds.

My daughter's mini-schnauzer (who is like one my grandkids) has cancer and had to have his rear leg amputated recently. He was really sick just prior to having it amputated ... he was licking his foot, he stank (from the rotting from the cancer) all the time and he was just miserable.

He barely slowed down ... within two days was running up and down the stairs, playing fetch and tug-o-war with the kids. For about a week we thought we were going to have to put him to sleep and we are still not sure how far the cancer spread, but for now he's happy and enjoying life.

jimnyc
09-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Here's another picture of Jerome, happy as can be lounging in his bed. I wish I'd see more of this and less of his coughing.

http://i53.tinypic.com/209k28j.jpg

chloe
09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
lookin cute n comfy