PDA

View Full Version : Start Local

Kathianne
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
I've described the towns I've lived in many times, quite wealthy area with much higher than average education levels. People want good services at reasonable rates. They watch the politicians, especially at local and county levels.

Just saw this:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110419/news/704199827

DuPage may reward employees for cost-saving ideas
By

Acknowledging that DuPage County needs to do a better job of saving money, county board members are exploring the possibility of rewarding county employees who develop cost-saving ideas.

The board’s finance initiative subcommittee on Tuesday reviewed a draft of a proposed employee incentive program. If adopted, it would encourage employees to identify “more efficient and effective use of the county’s financial and assets,” officials said.

Timothy Trotter, the county’s manager of strategic planning, said large companies have found that innovative ideas often come from within.

“The key is how do you tap those ideas and bring them forward,” Trotter said.

As part of the proposed program, employees who suggest an idea that saves DuPage money over an extended period of time would receive an award and be inducted into a “Innovator Hall of Fame.” They also would receive a bonus based on the savings their idea generates...

My son worked for the county one summer in college, he worked hard. His job was to drive a truck and empty trash bins in parks and bicycle/walking paths within the city limits, (the county bought the land from old rail road and graded, each city it passes through maintains it and has for over 45 years). If he'd made the first circuit, before time to complete the 2nd, he was expected to walk the paths or park looking for trash or equipment/grading problems. He did such a good job, they took him off of truck and had him riding his bike or running the paths looking for problems. LOL! One day he came home and said, "They actually have a guy that comes around to make sure there aren't workers sitting in trucks or just putting in time. They put two on notice, next time they're gone."

logroller
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Great post Kath. Kudos to your son, and his employer.:clap: