PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother has your smart phone data

gabosaurus
04-20-2011, 09:54 PM
This might be old news to tech savvy people, but I just found out about it earlier today when I was talking to some people.

Every smart phone (i.e. phones with internet service and other fancy gadgetry) has a clause in its contract that goes something like this:

"We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where a .... product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising."

Law enforcement agencies, along with certain agents of the state and federal governments, have a device that can scan and copy every single stored piece of information on your cell phone and they can use it if deemed necessary (by whom, I don't know) without a warrant.

Anyone have more info about this?

NightTrain
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I would have thought that someone that went to Cal would know about that. You have to be real smart to go there, you know.

Missileman
04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
This might be old news to tech savvy people, but I just found out about it earlier today when I was talking to some people.

Every smart phone (i.e. phones with internet service and other fancy gadgetry) has a clause in its contract that goes something like this:

"We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where a .... product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising."

Law enforcement agencies, along with certain agents of the state and federal governments, have a device that can scan and copy every single stored piece of information on your cell phone and they can use it if deemed necessary (by whom, I don't know) without a warrant.

Anyone have more info about this?

Obviously, the 2nd Amendment is to blame! :rolleyes:

Gaffer
04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
The aclu is all over this. It's being done in Michigan now and probably a few other states. They don't even tell people they are doing it. There are links about it everywhere so wouldn't be hard to locate articles about it with just a little effort. It is totally unconstitutional so it should be no problem for gabby.

Kathianne
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
The aclu is all over this. It's being done in Michigan now and probably a few other states. They don't even tell people they are doing it. There are links about it everywhere so wouldn't be hard to locate articles about it with just a little effort. It is totally unconstitutional so it should be no problem for gabby.

Seems Apple did let people know, they didn't read:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/225845/why_apple_tracks_you_via_iphone_its_not_why_you_th ink.html

fj1200
04-21-2011, 09:32 PM

The concern is on the ability of the police to read/scan the data on the phone and not necessarily Apple collecting the data. Two different issues.

gabosaurus
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
The concern is on the ability of the police to read/scan the data on the phone and not necessarily Apple collecting the data. Two different issues.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I don't have a smart phone. Or perhaps it is because I don't consider them worth the cause. I will stick with my cheap flip phone for now.

I would have thought that someone that went to Cal would know about that. You have to be real smart to go there, you know.

Exactly why only one of us went to Cal. And it wasn't you.

Trinity
04-22-2011, 06:20 AM

:clap: and that right there is the whole problem! No one ever reads anything, and then when they discover something they don't like they scream "it's not my fault.... I didn't know..... no one ever reads those terms and conditions." Quoted from an attorney. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Exactly why only one of us went to Cal. And it wasn't you.

Instead of your occasional bragging about Cal and/or your "intelligence", how about we actually give you a chance to prove it?

I recommend a debate between yourself and NT. I further recommend the following:

1) You can pick ANY topic, whether a liberal/conservative topic, or even a "teaching/guidance" topic just for you, or even a gun topic
2) You pick the debate format
3) Normally it would be 10 posts per person, but you can have 10 posts and NT only gets 5
4) Each of your posts can be an unlimited length, where NT will be limited to 500 words per post
5) You have an unlimited amount of time to respond, where NT will have only 24 hours to respond per post
6) You can have an opportunity to change this format I am requesting before the debate starts, and NT can only debate as per your final requests (within reason of course)

So there it is... Your choice of topic, you have more time and more length to respond, it will fall under your favorite format...

And let's up the ante:

1) We will ultimately have 10 judges voting. You can pick ANY 6 members you want: liberal, democrat, biased... The other 4 will be staff (Abbey, Kathianne) - and any other 2 of your choice who are admitted right/conservative/republican. I assume you'll choose 2 who are generally fair and remain above flaming and/or drama.

Now that the format and judging will lean in your favor, let's also up the vote in your favor:

If you win the final tally, I send $25 to you via Paypal or any other reasonable format of your request. If NT wins, you make a donation to the board of $1

Whaddya say, Gabs, care to put $1 where your mouth is?

gabosaurus
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I have tried to debate people on this board in the past. It has never worked. Ya wanna know why? Because you can't argue with someone who has already made up their mind.
Some of the obstacles that I have run into:

1) My references usually come from the so-called "liberal media," which most DP folks refuse to acknowledge as factual.

2) I am not going to accept as factual any right-wing blogs and sources, as they are invariably biased. Just because you heard it on Rush or Fox News doesn't mean it is true.

3) It is just tough to argue with people who aren't as smart as I am. :)

4) I have a job and a daughter. It's not like I sit around all day reading the internet and watching TV like so of DP does.

fj1200
04-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I have tried to debate people on this board in the past. It has never worked. Ya wanna know why? Because you can't argue with someone who has already made up their mind.

And you haven't? Pot, meet kettle.

1) My references usually come from the so-called "liberal media," which most DP folks refuse to acknowledge as factual.

The media is not a source, unless the media references their source it's hearsay.

2) I am not going to accept as factual any right-wing blogs and sources, as they are invariably biased. Just because you heard it on Rush or Fox News doesn't mean it is true.

:laugh: Did you just put those two points back-to-back?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4) I have a job and a daughter. It's not like I sit around all day reading the internet and watching TV like so of DP does.

It doesn't take all day to counter a point.

jimnyc
04-22-2011, 05:27 PM

Your concerns were all covered in my offer. Your references should easily be accepted by liberal/democrat observers. YOU need not accept links NT posts, nor would the liberal observers you choose. #3 should be a breeze if true, just post short facts backing up your points. #4 should also be easy, for a Cal grad especially, as a handful of posts should only take minutes out of a couple days, which can be spread out over weeks if necessary. But I would also imagine your "Cal degree" and "intelligence" are about as valid and "intellectual" as the bold portion above - which I really have no idea what it means.

Like I alluded to someone else this week - never really ask question you don't know the answer to already. I made my offer above knowing damn well that you are more of a troll bragging of intelligence than one who can spend a few moments backing up her superior intellect. But it's much more fun watching you make lame excuses than being shredded by someone like NT, who's intelligence has been on display for about 8 years that I know of, and I know for a fact that he would "out debate" you on ANY subject.

gabosaurus
04-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Tell ya what dude. Since Abbey is by far the most intelligent DP staff member (and should be an admin), and I trust her a lot, I will allow her to choose the topic and lay down the rules. That way, it will be fair to both myself and Mr. Train.

I don't always agree with their opinions, but I totally trust the following posters to be fair and impartial: Abbey, Kathianne, Fuzzy Kitten, RSR, Mr. P and Nukeman.

Until next week, have a very chocolatey Easter. And remember, only children of Satan eat the feet first.

SassyLady
04-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Tell ya what dude. Since Abbey is by far the most intelligent DP staff member (and should be an admin), and I trust her a lot, I will allow her to choose the topic and lay down the rules. That way, it will be fair to both myself and Mr. Train.

I don't always agree with their opinions, but I totally trust the following posters to be fair and impartial: Abbey, Kathianne, Fuzzy Kitten, RSR, Mr. P and Nukeman.

Until next week, have a very chocolatey Easter. And remember, only children of Satan eat the feet first.

I'm hurt.

gabosaurus
04-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Sorry Sassy Lady, I couldn't remember everyone off the top of my pointy head. But I definitely trust your opinion. :)

In considering the topics of debate, I would prefer not to debate any points considering the Obama administration, such as health care. I am not sure how much I agree with any of it, so I would be at a loss to defend any of it.

But anything else (gun control, abortion, Bush lying about his war, etc) are on the table.

Missileman
04-23-2011, 11:24 AM
In considering the topics of debate, I would prefer not to debate any points considering the Obama administration,

ROFL...there's a huge surprise...how DO you defend the indefensible?

SassyLady
04-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry Sassy Lady, I couldn't remember everyone off the top of my pointy head. But I definitely trust your opinion. :)

Thank you!!

Both of you are parents ... don't know if you guys agree/disagree on privileges ... perhaps you could debate the age at which kids:

1. are allowed to have a phone
2. have an email account
3. date
4. be left at home alone

Etc......

No politics involved ... just ideology about how to raise your children.

Kathianne
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you!!

Both of you are parents ... don't know if you guys agree/disagree on privileges ... perhaps you could debate the age at which kids:

1. are allowed to have a phone
2. have an email account
3. date
4. be left at home alone

Etc......

No politics involved ... just ideology about how to raise your children.

My kids are now adults, but I'd do the same today. They could have a cell when they could pay for it.

The could have email from early on, but I had all passwords. That was agreed to. I never told on any friends, though I did email quite a few back as 'So and so's mom...'

They couldn't have computer or televisions in their rooms, until college.

Groups to mall or movies-parent driving and picking up, 8th grade. Alone dates, 16.

Had babysitters until the oldest was 13, then she watched. I never left them overnight or for that matter, beyond 1 am.

gabosaurus
04-24-2011, 11:33 PM
The could have email from early on, but I had all passwords. That was agreed to. I never told on any friends, though I did email quite a few back as 'So and so's mom...'

They couldn't have computer or televisions in their rooms, until college.

Groups to mall or movies-parent driving and picking up, 8th grade. Alone dates, 16.

Had babysitters until the oldest was 13, then she watched. I never left them overnight or for that matter, beyond 1 am.

OK, who are you and what have you done with my mom? :)

I swear, those are the same rules my mom had for my sister and I. Though we both violated the dating one so often that is almost became irrelevant.
In addition, we always had to tell my mom where we were going and when we were coming back. My sister still does it sometimes and she is 31 years old.

But yes, that does sound like a good topic. I plan to do some things differently from my mom.

SassyLady
04-27-2011, 01:27 AM

I swear, those are the same rules my mom had for my sister and I. Though we both violated the dating one so often that is almost became irrelevant.
In addition, we always had to tell my mom where we were going and when we were coming back. My sister still does it sometimes and she is 31 years old.

But yes, that does sound like a good topic. I plan to do some things differently from my mom.

My kids couldn't get their license until they could afford the insurance and at the same time had to have a B or above average in all classes.....which means they had to have a job. None of them got their license until they were 18 .... one couldn't get the grades at the same time as when he was working; the second was too much into high school sports to get a job ... but he had the grades; my daughter, on the other hand, decided she didn't need a license to drive and took her dad's car out joyriding with a friend when she was 12 and totaled it. The court system made sure she didn't get her license until she was 18.

When my kids were young we only had one tv in the house and it was in the living room; we had no computers; no single dates before 16; cells phones were not available ... but daughter had a pager; and even when our kids were home alone the whole town was watching. Small town and everyone knew where everyone was at all times ... very claustrophobic ... which is why all kids left town when they graduated high school. :laugh:

gabosaurus
04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
My parents were pretty strict. Especially my mom, coming from a German background.
My parents did not allow my sister or I to have a job during the school year. They wanted us to concentrate on school work and to have friends, which they considered very important. My husband worked in an auto parts store. During the summer, I worked at an office on Santa Monica Blvd. Good money, but I hated having to wear a dress every day.

I didn't learn to drive until the summer before I went to college. Didn't need to because I got rides. My best friend Lauren and I went everywhere else on our bikes.We had one TV in our home, which my parents dictated the programming. Which is why I rarely watched TV.
I didn't even go to a concert until I was 16. My parents took me to see The Rolling Stones and later Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

My sister and I received privileges based on our grades and behavior. Which is why neither of us ever made below a B in school. The only time I was ever grounded for more than a weekend was when my mom found out that my now-husband and I were doing naughty things. My mom blew a few fuses, but my dad calmed her down by reminding her that they did the same thing when they were younger. :)

LuvRPgrl
04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm hurt.

Hahahahhah, I was just gonna post the exact same thing.

Actually, depending on the issue, I often fall into the "liberal" camp.

I am curious gabs, what would the topic be?

LuvRPgrl
04-28-2011, 01:28 PM
:clap: and that right there is the whole problem! No one ever reads anything, and then when they discover something they don't like they scream "it's not my fault.... I didn't know..... no one ever reads those terms and conditions." Quoted from an attorney. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised anyone is surprised at this. I always assume NOTHING I do is private anymore. We live in a nazi police state, its not blatant, like everything else, they do it in disguise, and the people are being lead like cattle to the slaughter.

As for its being the peoples own fault, thats hogtrash, if I read every "agreement" I have unwilllingly agreed to, I would still be reading them into next century. They make them unreadable and un understandable. In fact, I CANT get through them, I dont understand the verbage and I fall asleep and am never able to read them completelly

LuvRPgrl
04-28-2011, 01:32 PM

aw hell, there goes the idea that a good upbringing will lead to a conservative thinker.:laugh:

gabosaurus
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
aw hell, there goes the idea that a good upbringing will lead to a conservative thinker.:laugh:

"conservative thinker" is a huge oxymoron. :p