PDA

View Full Version : This Is Just Wrong: Freedom of Speech

Kathianne
04-23-2011, 11:04 AM
The vile pastor of Westboro deserves every bit of venom people with to say to him and his followers, especially at the funerals of our fallen. With that said, I've always maintained their right to do their thing and others to respond to that.

Now comes the mosques suddenly it's ok to silence them?

http://volokh.com/2011/04/22/dearborn-jury-holds-terry-jones-may-be-barred-from-organizing-rally-outside-mosque/

[UPDATED TITLE:] Terry Jones Jailed, Apparently for Refusing to Promise Not to Demonstrate in Front of a Mosque [STILL FURTHER UPDATE: Released From Jail, Ordered to Stay Away from Mosque]

Eugene Volokh • April 22, 2011 7:19 pm

[Original title: Dearborn Jury Holds Terry Jones May Be Barred from Organizing Rally Outside Mosque.] So reports the Detroit Free Press:

A Dearborn jury just sided with prosecutors, ruling that Terry Jones and Wayne Sapp would breach the peace if they rallied at the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn.

Judge Mark Somers will now determine the conditions of Terry Jones’ bond....

Strikes me as a pretty clear violation of the would-be demonstrators’ First Amendment rights. (See my earlier post for more on one aspect of the issue.) I hope Jones seeks prompt review from higher courts, probably under some state law mandamus procedure that could give a quick remedy within days (rather than through a direct appeal, which could take months or years); if anyone knows how these things are done under Michigan law, I’d love to hear it. Ultimately, a petition for an emergency stay from the U.S. Supreme Court would be possible, but practically speaking Jones would need to go through the Michigan review process first.

UPDATE: Since I first linked to the story, there’s been a huge update:...

Gaffer
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
It's dearbornistan, what do you expect. The jury was probably all muslim as well. Free speech is only allowed against the military and conservatives.

Monkeybone
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Said the exact same thing to my wife when I read that article.

jimnyc
04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Still the same old story since 9/11 - "We don't want to upset the Muslims or have them feel different".

But yet they don't find it a problem to upset a family trying to grieve for a son or daughter who happens to be a fallen soldier.

I hate to use a term that one harped on endlessly, but in this instance it is "political correctness", and it needs to be stopped.

logroller
04-25-2011, 11:13 PM
There seems to be a few pieces missing from the story. For example, what are they gathering for? If it is to protest, protest what-- another religion? It's one thing to practice your freedoms, quite another to protest mine. The ninth amendment reads--"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

logroller
04-26-2011, 03:57 AM
There seems to be a few pieces missing from the story. For example, what are they gathering for? If it is to protest, protest what-- another religion? It's one thing to practice your freedoms, quite another to protest mine. The ninth amendment reads--"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Just watched this video...I changed my mind. I don't see how anything he could have said or done whilst protesting could be anymore obnoxious than his opponants demonstration!

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/915544549001/RAW-VIDEO-Supporters-and-protestors-outside-Dearborn-court

Kathianne
04-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Actually following the story one finds that the protests were to bring attention to the attempts to substitute Sharia law in place of Constitution, ironic, no?

Dearborn in particular has had several problems with suspension of rights for Muslim sensibilities.