PDA

View Full Version : A Tisket, A Tasket

Kathianne
04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Easter memories?

Easter was not a 'big family' gathering as are Christmas, Thanksgiving, and 4th of July.

On the other hand, religious aspect, it's #1 for Christians. So what 'memories' do you have about Easter?

As a child we always went to Holy Thursday evening services, reenactment of Last Supper, Stations of the Cross. Good Friday was spent in church from 1-3, then leave silently.

Saturday night we colored eggs and my folks would hide them after we went to bed. They taped money to at least 1/2 of the 2 dozen we colored. My mom used them for deviled eggs for Easter.

Until we were about 7 or 8, my mom always bought the 'store bought baskets' from retailer. Usually contained a stuffed animal, chocolate bunny, and other candies, especially jelly beans. None of us liked jelly beans. My mom and dad had never had those kinds of things, growing up with immigrant parents during the depression. One Easter it dawned on my Mom, she could do a better job of the baskets. She bought us nice, big baskets, that she could use for magazines or table decorations. Used Easter grass and bought some Fannie Mae and Frango Mint candies. Solid Milk Chocolate Bunny from Fannie Mae! No stuffed animals, neither of us liked those, but we got frisbees, jacks, marbles, and yo-yos, crayons and coloring books.

From the start I made my kids baskets myself. Depending on ages used all the things my mom had for us, plus play-dough, sidewalk chalk, Chinese and regular jump ropes.

Abbey Marie
04-24-2011, 04:36 PM
My clearest memories are of going to church in a fancy dress, matching hat, and shiny shoes. Then there was the basket- oh how I loved those baskets! I only remember getting candy though; no toys. And that crazy "grass" that got stuck in everything.

Kathianne
04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
My clearest memories are of going to church in a fancy dress, matching hat, and shiny shoes. Then there was the basket- oh how I loved those baskets! I only remember getting candy though; no toys. And that crazy "grass" that got stuck in everything.

No toys? LOL! You got gypped! Seriously the toys in the store bought baskets were horrible stuffed rabbits or chicks. Extra toys were like Chinese Trading Company. Making them herself was genius! I nearly forgot we always got coloring books and crayons, usually the first new ones from September. Gosh I loved new crayons!

That plastic grass was impossible to get rid of! Staticized and would cling to everything! Finally found straw grass. Much better. ;)

Hope everyone had a great day!

Kathianne
04-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Oh yes! Easter dress, new tights, shoes, hat and oh yes, gloves. Sigh. I hated dresses. They make great pics now though, my favorite is when I must be about 5 and my brother going on 4. He's in a sailor suit, looking none to happy about it! ;)

CSM
04-25-2011, 08:59 AM
LOL! I remember myself and my three brothers all dressed up in new suits (complete with the hat!) and shoes. Have the pics still. Baksets for all and still love the chocolate bunnies to this day.