PDA

View Full Version : RIP Munchkin

red states rule
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
She was my favoriite and I had to have her put to sleep on April 16.

Munchie came down with diabetes, lost nearly half her body weight, and her liver was damaged

Shw was a wonderful cat, loved being held, petted, and getting attention. She was very special, but there was little hope of recovery

She had 9 great years however, and I will never forget her

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2685639486_516e45bb24_m.jpg

Kathianne
04-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, RSR. I know how you love those bundles of fur.

red states rule
04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, RSR. I know how you love those bundles of fur.

Yes I do

Muchie was special to me. SWhile I going thru the cancer treatments she always curled up on my chest and help keep me calm. She would purr, go to sleep and never move until I had to get up

She was usually the first one to greet me when I got home from work and was usually the first one to hop on the bed at night when I turned in

SassyLady
04-26-2011, 01:07 AM
Yes I do

Muchie was special to me. SWhile I going thru the cancer treatments she always curled up on my chest and help keep me calm. She would purr, go to sleep and never move until I had to get up

She was usually the first one to greet me when I got home from work and was usually the first one to hop on the bed at night when I turned in

Pets are the best thing ever created.

So sad for you Red.

red states rule
04-26-2011, 03:30 AM
Pets are the best thing ever created.

So sad for you Red.

She was the best.

As I was unpacking I found a 8X10 picture of her and I have it hanging up in the living room

She is no longer sick and she will always be in my heart and soul

jimnyc
04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
My condolences, Terry. I'm unsure as to whether I could make that decision, whether best for one of my animals or not. I love my pets like family and I think I'd be too weak to make that tough decision. I'm sure she's very happy that you took away her pain and brought her comfort.

I'm sure I've posted this in the past, but it always brings me comfort...

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

red states rule
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks Jim

I am sorry about your pup buddy. But do consider this. Like Munchie, your dog can't tell you what is wrong. He can't tell you if he hurts

You have to listen to the vet and take a long hard look at him and determine if he is hurting

I could not allow Munchie to be in pain, and suffer because I wanted to keep her around. It was a hard decision and I balled like a baby for four days after I told the vet to pur her down

She is in a better place now and is no longer hurting

I do believe that God wants you to by happy in Heaven, and for me to be happy I will want my pets with me. So, I believe God will provide them and I will have all of them with me again one day

Kathianne
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks Jim

I am sorry about your pup buddy. But do consider this. Like Munchie, your dog can't tell you what is wrong. He can't tell you if he hurts

You have to listen to the vet and take a long hard look at him and determine if he is hurting

I could not allow Munchie to be in pain, and suffer because I wanted to keep her around. It was a hard decision and I balled like a baby for four days after I told the vet to pur her down

She is in a better place now and is no longer hurting

I do believe that God wants you to by happy in Heaven, and for me to be happy I will want my pets with me. So, I believe God will provide them and I will have all of them with me again one day

RSR, I have to agree with you. While family or loved ones are in a different position than animals, I see many similarities. As I've posted too many times to mention, my folks did my brother and I great service by making their wishes clear. They were specific with examples they felt we could apply.

We didn't need to, as my dad was there to make decisions for my mom and when he got sick, well his will seemed to make it clear.

They'd both made their living wills while in their 50's, my brother and I being newly married or about to. Both made each other their primary health decider, but my brother and I jointly, the secondary; in case the primary couldn't carry out their wishes for some reason.

My mom's first stroke happened a month more than a year after I filed for divorce, on Mother's Day. It was a severe stroke, but she eventually came darn near a full recovery. Unfortunately that was followed by many small, (TSI) strokes, and a couple serious ones, over more than a decade.

From the first though, she was under a DNR order, per her request. Note, that didn't preclude treatments, as she later broke her hip, twice, both times undergoing surgeries for pain and lifestyle. But it did preclude electrode resuscitation of heart, which never happened.

Both of them wanted any care that would result in more time for the lifestyle they had, but no care that would sustain time without the lifestyle. With my mom we had to provide minimal life sustaining care, that would protect her from harming herself in her endeavors to go to church at 2 am, getting out of her wheelchair. Thus her eventual assignment to nursing home for 9 months.

My dad? When chemo stopped working and he said, "No." to radiation, we respected. When he came down with a cold a month later and was hospitalized a few days later, we said no to any additional treatments beyond IV fluids and feeding. He died in less than 48 hours.

I couldn't go the route of those that deny nutrition, but beyond that? What is the point, if the person's wishes are known?

red states rule
04-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Kat, my heart goes out to you. I watched my Dad go thru many heart attacks and several strokes

A massive heart attack did him in on 9/23/80 and finally his pain was gone

He lost his right side and used a cane to get around. He was a WWII vet who served in Patton's tank corp. He was a big man and worked hard all his life

He was reduced to about 1/2 his weight and could not do much on his own

He is also in a better place and no longer needs that cane

Kathianne
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Kat, my heart goes out to you. I watched my Dad go thru many heart attacks and several strokes

A massive heart attack did him in on 9/23/80 and finally his pain was gone

He lost his right side and used a cane to get around. He was a WWII vet who served in Patton's tank corp. He was a big man and worked hard all his life

He was reduced to about 1/2 his weight and could not do much on his own

He is also in a better place and no longer needs that cane

Thank you for the compassion. I guess I was carried away. My point being that while animals are loved by us, greatly; ending suffering when for the victim of it is the greater compassion. No matter the hurt to the survivors.

I oppose euthanasia for humans, but support their choice to refuse any extraordinary means. For some, that would include IV's for nutrition or hydration, I would disagree with that. Beyond that? Nope.

For those that would want to have 'all means possible' available, I'd support, as long as the patient or insurance will pay for.

red states rule
04-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the compassion. I guess I was carried away. My point being that while animals are loved by us, greatly; ending suffering when for the victim of it is the greater compassion. No matter the hurt to the survivors.

I oppose euthanasia for humans, but support their choice to refuse any extraordinary means. For some, that would include IV's for nutrition or hydration, I would disagree with that. Beyond that? Nope.

For those that would want to have 'all means possible' available, I'd support, as long as the patient or insurance will pay for.

Kat you can NEVER get carried away over talking about passed on loved ones.

I have made it clear I do not want to be kept alive when all hope is gone
If the cancer would come back, and the Doctor told me it would not do any good I would thank him and start making the needed plans

I believe I am right with God. I have confessed I am a sinner and I ask for his forgivness each and every day. So I do not fear leaving this world

Like my Munchie, there was no hope so out the love I have her I ended her pain. One day I will be with her and she can once again fall asleep on my chest

Kathianne
04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Kat you can NEVER get carried away over talking about passed on loved ones.

I have made it clear I do not want to be kept alive when all hope is gone
If the cancer would come back, and the Doctor told me it would not do any good I would thank him and start making the needed plans

I believe I am right with God. I have confessed I am a sinner and I ask for his forgivness each and every day. So I do not fear leaving this world

Like my Munchie, there was no hope so out the love I have her I ended her pain. One day I will be with her and she can once again fall asleep on my chest

I'm not so sure we'll be reunited with pets, though I love that thought. I do hope to see my mom, dad, sister, aunts, uncles, especially those I never had a chance to meet on earth.

red states rule
04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm not so sure we'll be reunited with pets, though I love that thought. I do hope to see my mom, dad, sister, aunts, uncles, especially those I never had a chance to meet on earth.

As I said Kat, I believe God wants you to be happy when you enetr Heaven

He knows I will need my pets to be happy

I have put my faith in his compassion and understanding on that one

Kathianne
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
As I said Kat, I believe God wants you to be happy when you enetr Heaven

He knows I will need my pets to be happy

I have put my faith in his compassion and understanding on that one

I love that thought!

red states rule
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I love that thought!

After my bout with cancer, and with my relationship with Benjie - it is all I can do Kat