PDA

View Full Version : Unexpectedly! Sigh

Kathianne
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/42796520

Economic Growth Slow as Inflation Measure Spikes Up
Published: Thursday, 28 Apr 2011

U.S. economic growth slowed more than expected in the first quarter as higher food and gasoline prices dampened consumer spending, and sent a broad measure of inflation rising at its fastest pace in 2-1/2 years.

But the pull back in output, which was also the result of harsh winter weather, a widening trade gap as well as weak government spending, will probably be fleeting given a firming labor market.

Growth in U.S. gross domestic product—a measure of all goods and services produced within U.S. borders—braked to a 1.8 percent annual rate after a 3.1 percent fourth quarter pace, the Commerce Department said on Thursday. Economists had expected a 2 percent growth pace...

Reuters goes to phenomenal lengths trying to spin this to a 'feel good' ending.

Gaffer
04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm not an economist, and I get cross eyed just reading economic reports. But even I could have predicted this. They were surprised?

Oil and gas are the main stay of this economy. Increasing the cost of it is going to drive up the cost of everything else. This is basic stuff that even I can understand.

As for rueters, if I see a report is from rueters I skip it and go on to something else. They are as credible as msnbc. I think they share the same pocket in bams golfing jacket.

Kathianne
04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm not an economist, and I get cross eyed just reading economic reports. But even I could have predicted this. They were surprised?

Oil and gas are the main stay of this economy. Increasing the cost of it is going to drive up the cost of everything else. This is basic stuff that even I can understand.

As for rueters, if I see a report is from rueters I skip it and go on to something else. They are as credible as msnbc. I think they share the same pocket in bams golfing jacket.

Indeed. Gas prices cause all prices to increase. With that, less for hiring, spending, surviving. ;)

Gaffer
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Our government is like watching one big Jackass movie. Their motto should be "Hey guys, watch this!"

LuvRPgrl
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Our government is like watching one big Jackass movie. Their motto should be "Hey guys, watch this!"

I saw this coming five years ago. Democratic admin. s are always predictable.
So are the Repubs when they are fighting an uphill battle for the Presidency. If they are low in the polls, they pick a "safe" candidate, Dole, McCain, and then they are guaranteed to lose, I don't understand why they do it,.,, that is precisely when they need to try and untested candidate that they can dissassociate from the previous admin., a newccomer to the scene, you gotta take a chance at those times, nothing to lose, lots to gain
I think that gov from Mass would have won