PDA

View Full Version : Royal Wedding

Trigg
04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Since I was at work at 6am this morning and the only thing on was the wedding I watched it.

Did anyone else????

I thought Kate looked amazing her in traditional gown and they appeared to be very much in love.

That kind of wealth is unimaginable to me and I hope they are able to make it for the long haul.

gabosaurus
04-29-2011, 05:07 PM
My best friend Lauren and her husband live in the Manchester-Liverpool area and they pretty much ignored the whole thing. Her husband is not a Royalist and asked me how Americans would feel if Obama threw a quarter-billion dollar wedding in our current economy. Lauren thought it was beautiful and good for uniting a fractured country. Plus today was a national holiday in England and everyone loved that.

My daughter asked my husband if we had a nice wedding like that. He said ours was better. Such a charmer. :)

Trigg
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
My best friend Lauren and her husband live in the Manchester-Liverpool area and they pretty much ignored the whole thing. Her husband is not a Royalist and asked me how Americans would feel if Obama threw a quarter-billion dollar wedding in our current economy. Lauren thought it was beautiful and good for uniting a fractured country. Plus today was a national holiday in England and everyone loved that.

My daughter asked my husband if we had a nice wedding like that. He said ours was better. Such a charmer. :)

It was my understanding that the only thing that British taxpayers paid was the security, everything else was paid for my the monarchy or the Middleton's.

Every time bambam leaves the White House we (taxpayers) foot the bill for the security. Doesn't seem much different to me.

red states rule
04-29-2011, 05:31 PM
It was my understanding that the only thing that British taxpayers paid was the security, everything else was paid for my the monarchy or the Middleton's.

Every time bambam leaves the White House we (taxpayers) foot the bill for the security. Doesn't seem much different to me.

But the Royal couple did not pack a teleprompter

KarlMarx
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I didn't watch it.

I'm brokenhearted that Diana wasn't alive to see her son married

red states rule
04-30-2011, 03:43 AM
I didn't watch it.

I'm brokenhearted that Diana wasn't alive to see her son married

She was there in spirit Karl

Noir
04-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Atleast it's over now, getting bashed over the head week after week about it when real news could of been getting reported bored me senseless.

Abbey Marie
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I would expect that the tourism pounds generated by the royals makes up for their expenses.

Trigg, I got up to watch. :cool: It was beautiful. No way was I going to miss a celebration at the Abbey.

I loved the hymns/music, the couple seems to truly love and respect each other, and the sermons were unswervingly Christian. Not always the case in churches today.

So, I was a happy camper. How nice to see something so positive and joyful in this often sad world.

Noir
05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
@Abbey

I have a vague memory that for every £1 spent on the royals they generate £7. While that's impressive and, I guess a justification for their continued existence, I put the principle before the pound sign, and would sooner see their titles, powers etc down away with.

Trigg
05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
@Abbey

I have a vague memory that for every £1 spent on the royals they generate £7. While that's impressive and, I guess a justification for their continued existence, I put the principle before the pound sign, and would sooner see their titles, powers etc down away with.

If they had any power I'd agree with you since I don't believe a family should have absolute power over a country.

The British Royals are simply figureheads.

Noir
05-01-2011, 07:27 PM
If they had any power I'd agree with you since I don't believe a family should have absolute power over a country.

The British Royals are simply figureheads.

They wield a VAST amount of political influence, don't belies that they are idol figureheads, they are steeped in politics (and as a consequence, corruption)

Noir
05-01-2011, 07:33 PM
My post was so good my phone posted it twice!

revelarts
05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
They wield a VAST amount of political influence, don't belies that they are idol figureheads, they are steeped in politics (and as a consequence, corruption)
true,
And I'm so glad you said that and not me Noir.

logroller
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Its a wedding, committed love and all-- I wish them the best of luck. I really don't see the political ramifications; Kate was of no royal lineage or political interest that I'm aware of-- just because he was born into a family of wealth and prestige doesn't change that-- even if he will be King. Its just the idyllic romance of it all-- I blame Disney.

And I never saw reason for all the hoopla over William's wedding list. On the other hand, Harry's, when the time comes, will be a party not to be missed-- that guy's a one-man party-- if I thought I deserved an invite and didn't get one, I'd be pissed; and not dancing on the window sills kinda pissed either!

KitchenKitten99
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
While I didn't really care about the wedding itself (though being female I was mildly interested in the dress but that was it), I don't look down upon them for spending that much, even in this economy.

I look at it the opposite: if they are spending money, regardless of location on the globe, it puts money into the system and keeps people working (at least those who were involved). That does have a trickle-down effect.

Think about it: Has a poor man on welfare ever handed you a paycheck or hired you?

If they want the most lavish day and they can afford it, then so be it. As long at it wasn't via taxpayer money. If all that was paid for was security, the taxpayers there can consider themselves lucky.

Obama spends the taxpayer dollars for so-called 'working vacations' (he's on his what, 10th now?) like a college student with a first time credit card.

Abbey Marie
05-10-2011, 12:41 PM
@Abbey

Noir, one would think you were describing the Tudors in all their power. While you have the advantage here by being in the UK, I sincerely doubt we are talking anything of that sort.