PDA

View Full Version : Bin Laden, Confirmed Dead?

darin
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
just got this email:

Breaking news alert from MyNorthwest.com
Reports say Osama bin Laden is dead. President Obama is set to address the nation. Listen to the president's address on 97.3 KIRO FM or stream here LIVE.

Visit http://www.MyNorthwest.com for more information
or tune to News Talk 97.3 KIRO FM.

gabosaurus
05-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Sounds like it is the real deal:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naw-osama-bin-laden-dead-reuters,0,4645384.story

About time. And you know who gets the credit. But everyone has their own priorities.

Dubya got the guy who bad mouthed his daddy. Obama got the guy who attacked America. :)

PostmodernProphet
05-01-2011, 10:24 PM
everyone is saying it.....

DragonStryk72
05-01-2011, 10:24 PM

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naw-osama-bin-laden-dead-reuters,0,4645384.story

About time. And you know who gets the credit. But everyone has their own priorities.

Dubya got the guy who bad mouthed his daddy. Obama got the guy who attacked America. :)

Except here's the thing: The entire infrastructure that caught Osama was put into place after 9/11... Guess Who? Yup, unless Obama wants to get slapped around repeatedly for gloryhogging, he's gonna have to cop to thanking Bush

Thunderknuckles
05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Except here's the thing: The entire infrastructure that caught Osama was put into place after 9/11... Guess Who? Yup, unless Obama wants to get slapped around repeatedly for gloryhogging, he's gonna have to cop to thanking Bush
This is the sad argument we are going to hear from conservatives and it's embarrassing. Here's the truth, Obama will go down in history as the guy that avenged America and conservatives will whine the whole time that is was Bush that made it happen. Suck it up conservatives. Obama got him and he's going to win in 2012 because of it.

logroller
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM

The CIA operatives who risked their lives to provide the intelligence deserve the credit on this one, Obama gave 'em their due-- Respect! Will Obama spin this like a top-- you bet, but come on; who wouldn't?

revelarts
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I need to see Osama's Death certificate.

Why aren't they providing the REAL death certificate?!!!

Did Osama go to college?

hjmick
05-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Yeah, I know who gets the credit...

First and foremost, Navy SEALS. Then the CIA and other intelligence agencies, whatever Pakistani coughed up the information, President Obama, and President Bush.

gabosaurus
05-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I need to see Osama's Death certificate.

Why aren't they providing the REAL death certificate?!!!

Did Osama go to college?

Dude this is the BEST laugh I have had in a long time!! Thanks. :)

revelarts
05-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Well I wonder who will be the new Emmanuel Goldstein since it seems the wicked witch is dead.

As far as republicans claiming the credit for this, I don't see how that's going to work.
Bush said SEVERAL times that he wasn't really concerned about Bin Ladin.
He proved that when he went into IRAQ.
Like OJ looking for his wife's killer on the golf course.

But it's funny how credit flows when it's a "good" thing. Many republicans don't want any credit for the bail outs or the HUGE deficit or war quagmires etc left by Bush. But some now want ot claim the lions share of the credit for this. what a joke.

If they want to Share the credit THEN Share the blame as well.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Well I wonder who will be the new Emmanuel Goldstein since it seems the wicked witch is dead.

As far as republicans claiming the credit for this, I don't see how that's going to work.
Bush said SEVERAL times that he wasn't really concerned about Bin Ladin.
He proved that when he went into IRAQ.
Like OJ looking for his wife's killer on the golf course.

But it's funny how credit flows when it's a "good" thing. Many republicans don't want any credit for the bail outs or the HUGE deficit or war quagmires etc left by Bush. But some now want ot claim the lions share of the credit for this. what a joke.

If they want to Share the credit THEN Share the blame as well.

Okay, I'm not saying that Bush had it all right, you can look at number of posts I've put in that have stated his laundry list of fuck-ups. This however, was not one of them, nor does he deserve all the credit. However, for point of maturity, Obama does need to acknowledge some credit for Bush.

NightTrain
05-02-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm willing to buy a few pounds of bacon to wrap his body in before burial.

This really needs to be done, it'll scare the holy hell out of the others.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm willing to buy a few pounds of bacon to wrap his body in before burial.

This really needs to be done, it'll scare the holy hell out of the others.

Nah, I think we're good for now. Now's when you give the remaining bad guys the bruce willis glare.

fj1200
05-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Obama got him and he's going to win in 2012 because of it.

Not so much.

CSM
05-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Well, I am not surprised that this turns into a huge political soire'.

I suppose we should give Obama the Medal of Honor for extraordinary courage and then put the special forces who carried out the raid on trial for murder while we pay reparations to the Pakistanis for illegally invading their sovereign nation. Of course, the EPA will need to conduct a multi million dollar study to determine the impact on the environment caused by OBL's burial at sea.

fj1200
05-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Well, I am not surprised that this turns into a huge political soire'.

His statement was classic BO. "No American's were harmed..." and "Minimized civilian casualties..." If it's important enough then those are secondary accomplishments.

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 10:13 AM

Shame that good news always brings out the stench!

lol, Obama got the guy?:lol: When your puppet accomplishes what he was elected for then he can take some credit but for now he can take credit for finishing what was started by the previous administration and act as though it was his plan all along.:lame2:

Now the only daddy that needs to be bad mouthed around here should be the one that was half responsible for your birth shitbrick!....

logroller
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Shame that good news always brings out the stench!

lol, Obama got the guy?:lol: When your puppet accomplishes what he was elected for then he can take some credit but for now he can take credit for finishing what was started by the previous administration and act as though it was his plan all along.:lame2:

Now the only daddy that needs to be bad mouthed around here should be the one that was half responsible for your birth shitbrick!....

You must mean the "previous administration" of Clinton.

Aug. 1998

President Bill Clinton orders Tomahawk missile strikes against two al Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan, in retaliation for the bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in which 224 people (including 12 Americans) were killed. Bin Laden survived; the al Qaeda leader had apparently just left one of the camps
http://www.kxlh.com/news/key-dates-in-the-hunt-for-osama-bin-laden/

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 10:26 AM
You must mean the "previous administration" of Clinton.

http://www.kxlh.com/news/key-dates-in-the-hunt-for-osama-bin-laden/

:laugh2::laugh2:

I must:bow3: to that incredible Clinton fella and that truly insightful reply!
:stupid:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

logroller
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
:laugh2::laugh2:

I must:bow3: to that incredible Clinton fella and that truly insightful reply!
:stupid:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm not fishing for smilies and sarcasm, just making sure you're speaking to the facts.

PostmodernProphet
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's the truth, Obama will go down in history as the guy that avenged America

I thought it was Bush's fault....

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not fishing for smilies and sarcasm, just making sure you're speaking to the facts.

Generally I speak to people and not quoted material, do you speak to facts often? Hows that working out?

Dig a little deeper on the Clinton admin when is comes to bin laden and if you really feel he deserves the credit then by all means go with it. Truly the military deserves the credit, not any administration but funny how it's either obama or billy when it comes to you moonbats. Even more funny that you fuckers want credit when all along you cried "hearts and minds" "make love not war" but now when a military mission of big news is made you wanna claim credit. :laugh2:

fj1200
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Generally I speak to people and not quoted material, do you speak to facts often? Hows that working out?

... you fuckers want credit when all along you cried "hearts and minds" "make love not war" but now when a military mission of big news is made you wanna claim credit. :laugh2:

You don't really know log do you? Or the phraseology of speaking to something?

logroller
05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Generally I speak to people and not quoted material, do you speak to facts often?
You spout rhetoric based on your opinion-- I noticed. That's why quoted a third party source-- because I speak based on the facts, not to them.

Hows that working out?

Better than the rhetoric is working out for our country?:lame2:

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
You spout rhetoric based on your opinion-- I noticed. That's why quoted a third party source-- because I speak based on the facts, not to them.

While it is factual that Clinton authorized a few missiles in 1998, they weren't even sure if OBL was in the vicinity and he apparently forgot about his high value target the next day. I'm unaware of anything that he did or accomplished from that point forward. But if you think shooting off a few missiles from the Red Sea and bombing a pharmaceutical company is akin to the all out search and war on Al Qaeda, so be it.

Also, at one point, Clinton even turned down the offer of receiving OBL as he felt there wasn't enough to hold him for. Doesn't sound much like an administration I would bend over backwards to give credit to for capturing/killing OBL.

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Ummm, no. The TORTURERS and Seal Team 6 get the credit. Had Obama closed Gitmo as promised it's possible we never could have followed up on this intel. The information received about this courier was directly from teams that were involved in torture. You know, the crap you guys stated "wasn't worth capturing Bin Laden and not worth our soldiers as it was pissing on the constitution".

JSOC costs the country more than $1 billion annually. The command has its critics, but it has escaped significant congressional scrutiny and has operated largely with impunity since 9/11. Some of its interrogators and operators were involved in torture and rendition, and the line between its intelligence-gathering activities and the CIA's has been blurred.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclusive/20110502/pl_yblog_exclusive/the-secret-team-that-killed-bin-laden

That article describes the heroes who carried out this mission, which Obama just simply approved. Yes, I'll give him credit for not canceling such activities by this group, and giving them the go ahead - but considering what they were after I would say a 10yr old would have made the decisions Obama did.

But it's still kinds funny and ironic knowing that Gitmo and torture could have played a large role in getting intel which ultimately killed OBL.

logroller
05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
While it is factual that Clinton authorized a few missiles in 1998, they weren't even sure if OBL was in the vicinity and he apparently forgot about his high value target the next day. I'm unaware of anything that he did or accomplished from that point forward. But if you think shooting off a few missiles from the Red Sea and bombing a pharmaceutical company is akin to the all out search and war on Al Qaeda, so be it.

Also, at one point, Clinton even turned down the offer of receiving OBL as he felt there wasn't enough to hold him for. Doesn't sound much like an administration I would bend over backwards to give credit to for capturing/killing OBL.

Agreed, Shock and awe didn't pay dividends like seeing Saddam hang. This is no different. I was speaking against the credit lying primarily with the administration which began targetting OBL, not in favor of it. Persistance pays; the spoils of war go to those who acheive victory--finders-keepers! :thumb:

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Agreed, Shock and awe didn't pay dividends like seeing Saddam hang. This is no different. I was speaking against the credit lying primarily with the administration which began targetting OBL, not in favor of it. Persistance pays; the spoils of war go to those who acheive victory--finders-keepers! :thumb:

Began, yes, then dropped the ball. Then we have 9/11 because this man was allowed to continue his reign of terror. He should have been hunted like an animal since 1993.

As far as which administration began the hunt for OBL, I would still technically give that to the Bush administration, at least as far as his death last evening was concerned. If it weren't for Gitmo/torture and the decisions made with terrorists captured on Bush's watch, none of yesterday would likely have come to fruition.

logroller
05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Began, yes, then dropped the ball. Then we have 9/11 because this man was allowed to continue his reign of terror. He should have been hunted like an animal since 1993.

As far as which administration began the hunt for OBL, I would still technically give that to the Bush administration, at least as far as his death last evening was concerned. If it weren't for Gitmo/torture and the decisions made with terrorists captured on Bush's watch, none of yesterday would likely have come to fruition.

We can talk about the CIA, GITMO and foreign military operations with dates and figures till we're blue in the face. You and I know the bottom line-- America should be proud, every last one of us who salutes the flag.--Knowing that the great institution of freedom is preserved for all people and WE WILL DESTROY all those who actively oppose it. :salute:
OBL's death is merely a case in point.

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
We can talk about the CIA, GITMO and foreign military operations with dates and figures till we're blue in the face. You and I know the bottom line-- America should be proud, every last one of us who salutes the flag.--Knowing that the great institution of freedom is preserved for all people and WE WILL DESTROY all those who actively oppose it. :salute:
OBL's death is merely a case in point.

This I can easily agree with. :salute:

revelarts
05-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Ummm, no. The TORTURERS and Seal Team 6 get the credit. Had Obama closed Gitmo as promised it's possible we never could have followed up on this intel. The information received about this courier was directly from teams that were involved in torture. You know, the crap you guys stated "wasn't worth capturing Bin Laden and not worth our soldiers as it was pissing on the constitution".

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=837511944312&id=67759393d0efe3302578fe76eefd435c&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.opposingviews.com%2fattachmen ts%2f0003%2f4788%2fbush-obama.jpg%3f1270062147

That article describes the heroes who carried out this mission, which Obama just simply approved. Yes, I'll give him credit for not canceling such activities by this group, and giving them the go ahead - but considering what they were after I would say a 10yr old would have made the decisions Obama did.

But it's still kinds funny and ironic knowing that Gitmo and torture could have played a large role in getting intel which ultimately killed OBL.

SO without tourer we wouldn't be able to find Bin LAden living in a suburb in Pakistan? Right under the nose of Pakistanis military and Intel.

hm I'm not so sure.

But lets say your right Jimmy.
I'd would rather Bin Ladin had died old, fat and rich, like so many other murmurous dictators have, if getting him means it takes turning America into another scummy low life nation where the gov't "legally" tortures it's enemies.

And I retract any credit I've given to Obama and any torturers for the death of Bin Laden.
Obama's has again proven the truth of my assessment of him long ago. New boss same as the old boss.

The ends still don't justify the means folks.

Little-Acorn
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
if getting him means it takes turning America into another scummy low life nation where the gov't "legally" tortures it's enemies.

Here's a news flash.

We got him.

And after we did, America isn't a scummy low life nation, and didn't torture its enemies.
Sorry to disappoint you. :fu:

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 04:29 PM

I do speak alot based of my own opinion but also base my opinions of the so called facts just like the one you quoted from the link. Again dig deeper or see how Jimnyc addressed the link.

:laugh2:

Well you have the king of rhetoric in office now, enjoy!

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
SO without tourer we wouldn't be able to find Bin LAden living in a suburb in Pakistan? Right under the nose of Pakistanis military and Intel.

hm I'm not so sure.

Apparently not, or they would have without the intel, no?

But lets say your right Jimmy.
I'd would rather Bin Ladin had died old, fat and rich, like so many other murmurous dictators have, if getting him means it takes turning America into another scummy low life nation where the gov't "legally" tortures it's enemies.

Yeah, sure, let him live a plentiful and rich life, simply because we shouldn't handle terrorist prisoners in a manner you disagree with.

Sorry, some of us would rather twist their arms a bit and see the ringleader pay for the enormity of the crime.

And I retract any credit I've given to Obama and any torturers for the death of Bin Laden.
Obama's has again proven the truth of my assessment of him long ago. New boss same as the old boss.

The ends still don't justify the means folks.

That's fine, you're entitled to not be happy with the way our leaders got the information that allowed us to capture/kill the most wanted man in the world. Just as so many are entitled to feel warm and fuzzy inside that a few cockroaches were waterboarded and OBL now sleeps at the bottom of the sea.

I'd like to shake the hands of ALL those involved that got the intel and killed OBL. I'd like to give a special hug to those who tortured the terrorists and squeezed the intel out of them, and also to the seal who squeezed off the 2 rounds that took off the top right portion of OBL's head.

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
You don't really know log do you? Or the phraseology of speaking to something?

Nope, don't speak to logs all that often either....

I know what he meant, I know he also suggested that he didn't like sarcasm, hence the the "phraseology of speaking to something" thing.. :smoke:

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I'd like to shake the hands of ALL those involved that got the intel and killed OBL. I'd like to give a special hug to those who tortured the terrorists and squeezed the intel out of them, and also to the seal who squeezed off the 2 rounds that took off the top right portion of OBL's head.

Now wrap his corpse in bacon and let it rot away in the hot desert sun! :cool:

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Now wrap his corpse in bacon and let it rot away in the hot desert sun! :cool:

Too late, dumbass, they buried him at sea about 12 hours after killing him. They wanted to be respectful to the man who's brains they just blew out.

gabosaurus
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I especially enjoyed the revelation that bin Laden died a coward. Instead of taking a gun and going down fighting, bin Laden grabbed one of his wives and used her as a human shield. His thought that no one would risk killing a women to get at him were wrong.

Will Obama use the death of bin Laden for political purposes? Do you even have to ask? Of course he will. Obama wants to remain in office. I am sure he would have done this before the 2010 midterms if that had been an option.
It will be in line with Dubya scheduling the 2004 Republican convention for New York City just a couple of weeks before the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. You milk things for all that they're worth.

logroller
05-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Well you have the king of rhetoric in office now, enjoy!

Uhm, you foreign or some kinda dissident? Best check your liberties with allegiance. Try reciting the flag salute, or is that too rhetorical.

FACT: We Americans have Barack Obama as the commander in chief now.

FACT:I didn't help put him there, but he's OUR president nonetheless.

FACT: We should blame him for all the numerous screwups that have occurred while he's been at the helm, as well as give him credit for the successes. (which are minimal by comparison BTW)

FACT: the modifier "so-called" is rhetoric

Kathianne
05-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Too late, dumbass, they buried him at sea about 12 hours after killing him. They wanted to be respectful to the man who's brains they just blew out.

I dunno Jim, I got a 'special moment' today. One of the aids I was working with needed some 'teach time.' She decided to see what the kids knew first thing this am. One of the boys said, "He was shot in the head. Now he's fish food." Gotta love 16 year old males. LOL! The aid said, "You don't know that! He was killed on land." Boy responded, "I heard this morning, we dumped him off a carrier, though respected Muslim conditions. He's fish food!" She said, "He's not fish food." I said, "Yes he is." Kids all started laughing. I apologized to her and said, "Not very nice to laugh, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Ms. X, they wrapped his body in a shroud and dumped him off an aircraft carrier in the ocean." She said, "Oh!"

Sir Evil
05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Uhm, you foreign or some kinda dissident? Best check your liberties with allegiance. Try reciting the flag salute, or is that too rhetorical.

FACT: We Americans have Barack Obama as the commander in chief now.

FACT:I didn't help put him there, but he's OUR president nonetheless.

FACT: We should blame him for all the numerous screwups that have occurred while he's been at the helm, as well as give him credit for the successes. (which are minimal by comparison BTW)

FACT: the modifier "so-called" is rhetoric

??? WTF do these facts have to do with billy, george, or obama getting credit for the killing of a raghead? I guess everyone just speaks the rhetoric....:dunno:

Ok while speaking to the facts here is your answer:

Yes, I am foreign.... "I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so"
Fact: quoted from a song by the vapors....:rolleyes:

logroller
05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
??? WTF do these facts have to do with billy, george, or obama getting credit for the killing of a raghead? I guess everyone just speaks the rhetoric....:dunno:

Ok while speaking to the facts here is your answer:

Yes, I am foreign.... "I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so"
Fact: quoted from a song by the vapors....:rolleyes:

Figured as much. Because you seem to be having trouble understanding english. Res ipsa loquitur!

PostmodernProphet
05-03-2011, 07:39 AM

an idea stolen from a poster on another board.....by burying Osama at sea the US has made it possible for every American to piss on his grave just by going to the beach......

revelarts
05-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Here's a news flash.

We got him.

And after we did, America isn't a scummy low life nation, and didn't torture its enemies.
Sorry to disappoint you. :fu:

and may God Bless you Little Acorn.

Sir Evil
05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Figured as much. Because you seem to be having trouble understanding english. Res ipsa loquitur!

You're right logswallower, I don't understand it at all. Now spread the wealth, that overwhelming knowledge, billy deserves because he was the the one really targeting bin laden to begin with, and all that ever good stuff. You stated your case, you spoke to the facts and I just can't compete with that.....

Res ipsa loquitor.... I feel so schooled...:lmao:

logroller
05-03-2011, 11:17 AM

You're right logswallower, I don't understand it at all. Now spread the wealth, that overwhelming knowledge, billy deserves because he was the the one really targeting bin laden to begin with, and all that ever good stuff. You stated your case, you spoke to the facts and I just can't compete with that.....

Res ipsa loquitor.... I feel so schooled...:lmao:

I'm not quite sure if thats supposed to be a homo reference; regardless, I do love creative insults!:2up:

Kathianne
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I really liked this:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:383354" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/383354/may-02-2011/long-awaited--we-got-bin-laden--party">The Colbert Report</a></b><br/>Tags: <a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/'>Colbert Report Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/video'>Video Archive</a></p></div></div>

logroller
05-04-2011, 02:11 PM
This is good for a chuckle, I especially love the "burial tradition"

<object width="427" height="310" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=4b3afc5c2f" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed width="427" height="310" flashvars="key=4b3afc5c2f" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:center;width:427px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4b3afc5c2f/president-bush-reacts-to-osama-bin-laden-s-death-with-will-ferrell" title="from Will Ferrell, Adam "Ghost Panther" McKay, dannyjelinek, Brian Lane, Chris Kelly, Zach Zdziebko, Colton Dunn, BoTown Sound, Shauna O'Toole, and FOD Team">President Bush Reacts to Osama Bin Laden's Death with Will Ferrell</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/will_ferrell">Will Ferrell</a></div>

red states rule
05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Leave it liberals to want to spread their PC mentality everywhere they can, and look for new ways to be offended at the same time

American Indians object to ‘Geronimo’ as code for bin Laden raid

He died 102 years ago in Oklahoma, a beaten warrior, a prisoner of war, an exile from his homeland, a propped-up sideshow, a gambler and a lukewarm Christian. His family was murdered by Mexicans. The Americans stripped him of most everything else.

And yet, the Apache born near the Gila River in present-day Arizona with the not-very-impressive name of Goyahkla (“One Who Yawns”) rode into history as the legendary Geronimo.

It was his name that the U.S. military chose as the code for the raid, and perhaps for Osama bin Laden himself, during the operation that killed the al-Qaeda leader in Pakistan. That led to the iconic transmission from the raid: “Geronimo EKIA.” Geronimo, Enemy Killed in Action.

In a triumphant moment for the United States, the moniker has left a sour taste among many Native Americans.

“I was celebrating that we had gotten this guy and feeling so much a part of America,” Tom Holm, a former Marine, a member of the Creek/Cherokee Nations and a retired professor of American Indian studies at the University of Arizona, said by phone Tuesday. “And then this ‘Geronimo EKIA’ thing comes up. I just said, ‘Why pick on us?’ Robert E. Lee killed more Americans than Geronimo ever did, and Hitler would seem to be evil personified, but the code name for bin Laden is Geronimo?”

Suzan Shown Harjo, president of the Morning Star Institute, a Native American advocacy group based in Washington, has long fought against the use of Indian imagery in American life (including as the mascot of the Washington Redskins).

She sighed when asked about the latest iteration of Geronimo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/american-indians-object-to-geronimo-as-code-name-for-bin-laden-raid/2011/05/03/AF2FZIjF_story.html

red states rule
05-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Now the Dem run Senate will hold hearings on the "inappropriate" mission name

With all the economic issues the US has to deal with, Dems want to waste time on this???

Congress to Examine "Inappropriate" and "Devastating" Use of "Geronimo" Codename in bin Laden Mission

The Senate Indian Affairs committee will hold a hearing Thursday on racist Native American stereotypes, a hearing that will now also address the Osama bin Laden mission and the code-name Geronimo.

While the hearing was scheduled before the mission, a committee aide today said the linking of the name Geronimo with the world’s most wanted man is “inappropriate” and can have a “devastating” impact on kids.

“The hearing was scheduled well before the Osama bin Laden operation became news, but the concerns over the linking of the name of Geronimo, one of the greatest Native American heroes, with the most hated enemies of the United States is an example of the kinds of issues we intended to address at Thursday's hearing,” Loretta Tuell, the committee's chief counsel, said in a statement.

“These inappropriate uses of Native American icons and cultures are prevalent throughout our society, and the impacts to Native and non-Native children are devastating,” Tuell said. “We intend to open the forum to talk about them.”

The Senate committee is chaired by Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii. Thursday’s 2:15p hearing will examine how Wild West shows, Hollywood films, and Indigenous-themed sports mascots have shaped the perception of Native Americans, according to a press release. Witnesses include Tex Hall of the Great Plains Tribal Chairman’s Association, Suzan Shown Harjo of the Morning Star Institute, Charlene Teters of the Institute of American Indian Arts, Stephanie Fryberg of the University of Arizona, Chaske Spencer of Urban Dream Productions, Jim Warne of Warrior Society Development.

The Obama administration has indicated that the Navy SEALs who killed bin Laden did not use “Geronimo” as the codename for him, but rather it was the code for the act of capturing or killing him.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/05/congress-to-examine-inappropriate-and-devastating-use-of-geronimo-codename-in-bin-laden-mission.html

red states rule
05-05-2011, 04:30 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/kn050511dAPR20110504044516.jpg