PDA

View Full Version : Why Obama's Polling Bounce is So Anemic

red states rule
05-06-2011, 04:21 AM
I have been watching the liberal media's reaction to the LACK of a bounce in Obama's approval numbers since the death of OBL

It has been both laughable and sad. CNN hosts were shocked to get only a one point bounce in their poll

Even though Obama is in full campaing mode and all a sudden in a hawk on the war on terror they fail to grasp voters usually vote with their pocketbook

There are other reasons as well why Obama is not seeing a surge in his approval numbers

1) The Dukakis factor - It's nearly forgotten today (for that matter, Dukakis is nearly forgotten today), but in the 1988 election campaign, Michael Dukakis, the Massachusetts governor running against George Bush the Elder, posed as the commander of a tank in an effort to toughen up his image. Ridicule was hip deep. It's something the same here. If a man is unmilitary, he is unmilitary, and no effort to turn him into Patton will work. The "Warrior President" schtick is going to hurt Obama in the long run. (At about the same time, Maggie Thatcher was also photographed driving a tank. Now that was scary.)

2) The Bush 41 Factor - Old George won the '88 election, whipped the pants off of Saddam Hussein in '91, and was ejected from office in favor of Bill "Draft-dodger" Clinton a year later. His popularity rating right after the First Gulf War was over 90%. It appears that military triumphs for non-serving politicians (as opposed to actual soldiers like Grant or Eisenhower) have a definite shelf-life. Jeffrey Lord of the American Spectator reminds us that the same fate befell Winston Churchill in 1945.

3) The Soros Factor - The stay-at-homes hired by Old Creepy to monitor comment pages and post zingers have been working overtime the past couple days. The formula seems to be "Bush failed, Obama succeeded, and that's the end of it." Actually, it isn't: according to Gallup, most Americans (89%) want the military given most of the credit, followed by the CIA, (62%), Obama (35%), and George W. Bush (22%). Now, 22% ain't chopped liver, particularly for a man so thoroughly traduced over the past three years. Americans don't like this kind of tactic, and if the left were smart, they'd drop it. They won't, though.

4) The Economic Factor - "It's the economy, stupid." It will still be the economy next November.

5) The Revenge Factor - The Jihadis have to hit back. It is either that or a long slide into irrelevance. I am not at all certain our betters grasp this. The attacks will be atrocious, they will likely be multiple, and they will be carried out kamikaze-style. If the administration cannot stop them, that's one thing, and the public may well understand. But if security efforts are as incompetent as they were in the attempted Christmas bombing and at Fort Hood, then beware the anger of the voters.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/05/why_obamas_polling_bounce_is_s.html

Kathianne
05-06-2011, 05:30 AM
I have been watching the liberal media's reaction to the LACK of a bounce in Obama's approval numbers since the death of OBL

It has been both laughable and sad. CNN hosts were shocked to get only a one point bounce in their poll

Even though Obama is in full campaing mode and all a sudden in a hawk on the war on terror they fail to grasp voters usually vote with their pocketbook

There are other reasons as well why Obama is not seeing a surge in his approval numbers

Later I'll go look at the article, but #2 is seriously, though only partially wrong. Bush 41 did serve and quite heroically.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq10-1.htm

red states rule
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Later I'll go look at the article, but #2 is seriously, though only partially wrong. Bush 41 did serve and quite heroically.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq10-1.htm

If I remember correct Bush 41 did a great job but the liberal media kept "reporting" another depression was right around the corner if Clinto was not elected

And Bush 41 did lose alot of support when be broke his no new tax pledge

And we can tham Perot for handing the election to Clinton on a silver platter

But your point is a valid one Kat