PDA

View Full Version : scientist develop method of driving computers insane

revelarts
05-08-2011, 07:40 PM
scientist develop method of driving computers insane

Test machine 'claimed responsibility for terrorist bombing'

Boffins (clever scientist) in America report that they have successfully developed a method for driving computers insane in much the same way as human brains afflicted by schizophrenia. A computer involved in their study became so unhinged that it apparently "claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing".

The research involved meddling with a neural network setup dubbed DISCERN, built by Professor Risto Miikkulainen, a top comp-sci boffin at the University of Texas. Grad student Uli Grasemann assisted in the process of driving the machine bonkers.

"With neural networks, you basically train them by showing them examples, over and over and over again," says Grasemann. "Every time you show it an example, you say, if this is the input, then this should be your output, and if this is the input, then that should be your output. You do it again and again thousands of times, and every time it adjusts a little bit more towards doing what you want. In the end, if you do it enough, the network has learned."...

This meddling duly sent DISCERN off its rocker in short order. According to a Texas Uni statement describing the research:

DISCERN began putting itself at the center of fantastical, delusional stories that incorporated elements from other stories it had been told to recall. In one answer, for instance, DISCERN claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing.

In another instance, DISCERN began showing evidence of "derailment" — replying to requests for a specific memory with a jumble of dissociated sentences, abrupt digressions and constant leaps from the first- to the third-person and back again....

HAL 9000

Let me put it this way the 9000 series is the most reliable ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake of distorted information....

Dave my mind is going I can feel it... I can feel it...

Daisy... Daisy... I'm Half Crazy

Gaffer
05-08-2011, 08:14 PM
scientist develop method of driving computers insane

Test machine 'claimed responsibility for terrorist bombing'

HAL 9000

Let me put it this way the 9000 series is the most reliable ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake of distorted information....

Dave my mind is going I can feel it... I can feel it...

Daisy... Daisy... I'm Half Crazy

In other words they were creating a liberal computer.

PostmodernProphet
05-09-2011, 09:06 AM
and yet they still haven't found a way to keep computers from driving US insane....