PDA

View Full Version : Doing Away With Separation Of Powers

Kathianne
05-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Senate willingly attempts to give up 'advise and consent' in favor of the President having sole control:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-679

Gaffer
05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
That's a scary bill. The house better squelch it quickly.

revelarts
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
the congress has little will to resist the president most issues.
The appointments are practically rubber stamps unless they are so partisans to cause a public stir. It's another power they should not toss away.
(They need to get rid of some of those depts anyway.)

Any bill or congressional announcements on this latest War with Libya yet?

Isn't the presidents 30 day grace period up for using the troops without congressional approval?

Or does the congress have to check with the U.N. or NATO before it can make a decision?

fj1200
05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I think the War Powers Act says 60 days. But since it's a NATO thing that might change it a bit.

revelarts
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I think the War Powers Act says 60 days. But since it's a NATO thing that might change it a bit.

your right.
Nixon was right to veto that thing.
it's a similar to the thread bill.
Cedes power to the president.

Kathianne
05-10-2011, 03:48 PM

This is on appointments, not war acts.

fj1200
05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
This is on appointments, not war acts.

I know, I was responding to Rev.

SpidermanTUba
05-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Senate willingly attempts to give up 'advise and consent' in favor of the President having sole control:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-679

Do you really think the Senate should waste its time advising the President on which janitor to hire? If the Senate had to advise and consent on EVERY executive appointment, that would be ALL THEY EVER DID 24/7!!!

The Senate is constitutionally free to give consent in advance. They already have for many sub-cabinet Presidential appointees. They are free to do it for more positions - and free to retract that approval in advance at any time they wish.

Please stop being a pussy.