PDA

View Full Version : New Dog

-Cp
05-09-2007, 10:24 AM
So my wife and I are considering picking up an Australian Shepherd mix Puppie...

Does anyone here own one? What do you like or dislike about them? So far, we've heard nothing but praise from folks who have owned them or currently own one...

I've attached a pic of the one we're looking at...

darin
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
They love Australian food in Korea.

:D

Monkeybone
05-09-2007, 10:47 AM
make sure they can run.

Mr. P
05-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Cp...you probably looked into the breed already..but if not here's a bunch of info.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

krisy
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
From the owner of an Australian shep mix as well....I say go for it!!!!!!

Our dog Dodger is an Australian Shep/black lab mix. We couldn't ask for a funner,nicer,more loyal dog. The Aussie in him dominated and he loves to herd. He herds our other dog around the yard every day. He also follows me...everywhere. Laying by me right now.

They are also great watch dogs,herding dogs often are. This involves a fair amount of barking at everything that goes by..lol!!!

We never have to worry about him around children...he herds them too. Be prepared tho,they are a super energetic breed that have to get their energy out,otherwise they may do things like chew up dollhouse toys:laugh2:

When the hubby gets home,I'll try to get a pic of him up

The one your looking at is awful cute!!!

Mr. P
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh, my daughter has a mix she got from a rescue place.

Very high energy even hyper some times, very loving, very smart.

I've described her as a ping-pong ball, it fits her energy level.

-Cp
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Any suggestions on house-breaking?

Mr. P
05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Any suggestions on house-breaking?

crate. It works very well.

krisy
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
crate. It works very well.

I would say the same.

krisy
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
cp-do you know what he is mixed with? Just curious.

-Cp
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
cp-do you know what he is mixed with? Just curious.

Have no idea who the father is....

Hagbard Celine
05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
So my wife and I are considering picking up an Australian Shepherd mix Puppie...

Does anyone here own one? What do you like or dislike about them? So far, we've heard nothing but praise from folks who have owned them or currently own one...

I've attached a pic of the one we're looking at...

My parents breed them. They're good dogs, but they must be given a job. They are herding dogs so they herd everything. If you have other dogs they will drive them crazy by nipping and herding them all the time. They're great, fun dogs though. That one looks like it has been shaved.

krisy
05-09-2007, 05:40 PM
My parents breed them. They're good dogs, but they must be given a job. They are herding dogs so they herd everything. If you have other dogs they will drive them crazy by nipping and herding them all the time. They're great, fun dogs though. That one looks like it has been shaved.

After having Dodger,we have thought about getting a full blodded Aussie,but we also have a Golden German SHep mix and I am not so sure the house is big enough for 3 dogs.

cP's dog does have pretty short hair. Dodgers hair is extremely thick,and funny thing,he doesn't have any real good shedding periods. The shep sheds twice a year really well,but for some reason Dodger doesn't so that. Any idea why? We just try and brush him a lot to get the excess.

-Cp
05-09-2007, 06:01 PM

Hasn't been shaved at all - that's her natural coat - we think her dad may have been a lab...

Her siblings from the rest of the litter had the long hair normally associated with aussies...

krisy
05-12-2007, 08:29 AM
So cp,did you get the pup? If so,any new pics?

-Cp
05-12-2007, 10:47 AM
So cp,did you get the pup? If so,any new pics?

Yes and yes...

krisy
05-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes and yes...

Let's see em!!!

Roomy
05-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Dogs aren't just for spring and summertime you know? You have to walk the shit machines during the winter time too, all that rain, hail and snow.

Mr. P
05-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Dogs aren't just for spring and summertime you know? You have to walk the shit machines during the winter time too, all that rain, hail and snow.

Like having a baby for 14 years or so. Constant care, but then they give SOoooo much in return.

Roomy
05-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Like having a baby for 14 years or so. Constant care, but then they give SOoooo much in return.

I had one for 16 years then had to murder her in a 'mercy killing', it haunts me yet, after 7 years.