PDA

View Full Version : High triglycerides?

jimnyc
05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Ok, who knows about cholesterol levels? They say you have "good cholesterol", "bad cholesterol" & "Triglycerides".

I just got my blood work back today and my "good" level is at 34. They can't even give me a "bad" level as my triglycerides are too high at 769! Apparently they are normal at 150 or below. Borderline high is 150-199, high is 200-499 & very high is 500 or higher! Since mine is through the roof they can't even test the rest and my doctor is immediately putting me on medication. I asked what can cause this and he said he doesn't think that such a high elevation can be by "habit" unless I have the unhealthiest diet in the world, or it's genetic.

I've honestly been working out and eating better than I ever have for the past 6 months (estimating). I've lost about 30lbs and feel and look better than ever. Now this guy tells me that such a level can lead to pancreatitis? WTF?? I haven't even looked that up yet, but it doesn't sound good!

Anyone here experts on cholesterol levels? This has shook me a bit and made me nervous!

Kathianne
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok, who knows about cholesterol levels? They say you have "good cholesterol", "bad cholesterol" & "Triglycerides".

I just got my blood work back today and my "good" level is at 34. They can't even give me a "bad" level as my triglycerides are too high at 769! Apparently they are normal at 150 or below. Borderline high is 150-199, high is 200-499 & very high is 500 or higher! Since mine is through the roof they can't even test the rest and my doctor is immediately putting me on medication. I asked what can cause this and he said he doesn't think that such a high elevation can be by "habit" unless I have the unhealthiest diet in the world, or it's genetic.

I've honestly been working out and eating better than I ever have for the past 6 months (estimating). I've lost about 30lbs and feel and look better than ever. Now this guy tells me that such a level can lead to pancreatitis? WTF?? I haven't even looked that up yet, but it doesn't sound good!

Anyone here experts on cholesterol levels? This has shook me a bit and made me nervous!

I'd start here:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/Nutrition-Center_UCM_001188_SubHomePage.jsp

I had good numbers for your bad, but had blood pressure issues. Within 3 months was back to normal.

This would in all likelihood be an excellent resource for you:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/triglycerides/CL00015

Diet link up referencing both:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25525-reduce-triglycerides-diet/

SassyLady
05-14-2011, 04:28 AM
My total cholesterol is normal...but my "good" is lower than it should be and my "bad" is higher so it averages out to normal.....however, my doctor said that I needed to take medication and prescribed statin meds. I took it for 3 weeks and my bones felt like they were disintegrating ... I literally couldn't walk because the pain was so bad.

So I got off the meds and started taking HCG. Less than two months and all my numbers (the good, the bad and the trigly) were within normal ranges. I also lost 35 pounds.

Do lots of research on whatever med you are taking.

Gaffer
05-14-2011, 07:27 AM
I take cholesterol meds. I have for years since my heart surgery. I also take fish oil tablets to increase the good chols, it was doctor recommended. Cheerio's and Grapenuts Flakes are also good for helping lower cholesterol.

darin
05-15-2011, 06:09 AM
I had 500 or so awhile back. I went on a Fibrate AND statin, and lowered them to the 130 mark after a few weeks. Now, I just take the fibrate (when I remember). Nothing to panic over, jim, but get something, okay? Those fats in the blood can do bad things.

Since my redux, I actually FELT better...clearer thinking and stuff.