PDA

View Full Version : Router/Network issue

KitchenKitten99
05-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I have a wireless router from Linksys (model # WRT400N).

I bought it only last year around this time, and have had this same issue since. This is for the whole WiFi and internet system/network at my retail store.

I have the max number of 'ports' set to 100. The POS system (really just a PC with cash register software) is hardlined into the router, but everything else runs wirelessly.

We have 2 Blu-Ray players that have webstreaming capabilities, though they are not used for that very often. We have a Netflix account for those who wish to watch a movie, or they can surf the web via the players.

We also have a wireless printer.

Our internet is Comcast Business Class (so i know it isn't lack of bandwidth, and they have been out a couple times to ensure this isn't on their end)

Here is the issue: If I have more than 4 laptops or other wireless capable devices (iphones, ipods, smartphones, etc) using the wi-fi at any given time, I have problems with webstreaming from Netflix or other sites, and problems printing.

I know it has something to do with the router because when the number of computers or wireless devices is reduced, everything works as it should.

I cannot seem to figure it out.

We also have issues with IP address conflicts. I have started and restarted and reset the router several times with no long-term solution.

This issue also seems to affect wi-fi users who are trying to webstream on their systems if there are more than 5 others connected.

If I have the max ports set to 100, why would this continue to be a problem?

It is not very often that we do have this problem as it is rare we have that many at once using the Wi-Fi. However it is now getting to be more frequent as we get more and more new business customers finding out about our place.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Trinity
05-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Have you tried updating the firmware on the router?

KitchenKitten99
05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Have you tried updating the firmware on the router?

No, I have not, and I would not know how to do this.

Is this something I can download from the linksys site?

KarlMarx
05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
No, I have not, and I would not know how to do this.

Is this something I can download from the linksys site?

Yes, absolutely. And I went to the trouble of finding the download page for you

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT400N

Select the "downloads" tab. There seems to be only 1 hardware version (version 1). I HOPE that is what you have. Be sure that is the hardware version you have.

Be sure to read the instructions carefully since upgrading your router with the wrong firmware will screw it up totally.

KitchenKitten99
05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, absolutely. And I went to the trouble of finding the download page for you

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT400N

Select the "downloads" tab. There seems to be only 1 hardware version (version 1). I HOPE that is what you have. Be sure that is the hardware version you have.

Be sure to read the instructions carefully since upgrading your router with the wrong firmware will screw it up totally.

Thanks Karl. I did check our version and it appeared to be an old one, dated 2008 (not sure how since this router only came out in 2010...?).

I am downloading the software as I type this. I will post back if I have any issues or status changes.

jimnyc
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Updating the firmware is certainly a great place to start. What has me curious the most is the IP address conflicts. Do any of the devices on the network go into "sleep mode". For example, if you have a laptop that is given 192.168.100.2, and it goes into sleep mode, it's possible that the router is giving out that same address, and when it comes out of sleep mode you have a problem using devices with the same address. If it were that easy, asking for a new address, rebooting the machine, or powering the device off/on would solve your problem.

For whatever reason, it sounds like your router is not remembering what addresses it has already given out. But again, if that is the case, rebooting and/or powering devices off and back on again should resolve your issue.

KitchenKitten99
05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Updating the firmware is certainly a great place to start. What has me curious the most is the IP address conflicts. Do any of the devices on the network go into "sleep mode". For example, if you have a laptop that is given 192.168.100.2, and it goes into sleep mode, it's possible that the router is giving out that same address, and when it comes out of sleep mode you have a problem using devices with the same address. If it were that easy, asking for a new address, rebooting the machine, or powering the device off/on would solve your problem.

For whatever reason, it sounds like your router is not remembering what addresses it has already given out. But again, if that is the case, rebooting and/or powering devices off and back on again should resolve your issue.

Yes, the POS system, and both our laptops do use 'sleep' mode periodically. I just end up refreshing my network connection which solved the issue.

I downloaded the firmware update but I am unsure how to install it to the router itself. I will probably have to wait until after the weekend to do this as we are busier on weekends vs. weeknights and I don't want to risk our network being down as we run credit cards on our cable internet/phone system hooked up to the POS.

jimnyc
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes, the POS system, and both our laptops do use 'sleep' mode periodically. I just end up refreshing my network connection which solved the issue.

I downloaded the firmware update but I am unsure how to install it to the router itself. I will probably have to wait until after the weekend to do this as we are busier on weekends vs. weeknights and I don't want to risk our network being down as we run credit cards on our cable internet/phone system hooked up to the POS.

I'm running out now, but let me see if I can find step by step instructions for you in a bit. If you screw it up, your router will be dead in the water!!

jimnyc
05-13-2011, 02:11 PM
This appears to be a generic set of step-by-step instructions that will help you get through the firmware upgrade process:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=e9c2361ee7974d75913e61386a712188_4030.xml&pid=96&slnid=5

KitchenKitten99
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
This appears to be a generic set of step-by-step instructions that will help you get through the firmware upgrade process:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=e9c2361ee7974d75913e61386a712188_4030.xml&pid=96&slnid=5

Thanks Jim!

I got through the first parts of that step-by-step of at least the downloading however I will wait until after the weekend to attempt the install. I have a back-up linksys router at home that we no longer use as we have a router/modem combo provided by our ISP there. If this one for the store dies, I will have the other handy to put in its place.

I will attempt this on Monday evening (our slowest night of the week) and I will keep you guys updated.