PDA

View Full Version : David Mamet, Conservative? The Times They Are A'Changing!

Kathianne
05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
He's been a Chicago favorite forever, national too. But liberal, not conservative, right? Well seems those times have been coming to an end for awhile, but now just out:

In case someone isn't familiar with Mamet, Wiki gives an inkling to his changing point of view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mamet

Weekly Standard has a 3 page story, though I'm posting the link to 'single page':

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/converting-mamet_561048.html?nopager=1

Converting Mamet
A playwright’s progress
Andrew Ferguson
May 23, 2011

...Higher ed, he said, was an elaborate scheme to deprive young people of their freedom of thought. He compared four years of college to a lab experiment in which a rat is trained to pull a lever for a pellet of food. A student recites some bit of received and unexamined wisdom—“Thomas Jefferson: slave owner, adulterer, pull the lever”—and is rewarded with his pellet: a grade, a degree, and ultimately a lifelong membership in a tribe of people educated to see the world in the same way.

“If we identify every interaction as having a victim and an oppressor, and we get a pellet when we find the victims, we’re training ourselves not to see cause and effect,” he said. Wasn’t there, he went on, a “much more interesting .  .  . view of the world in which not everything can be reduced to victim and oppressor?”

This led to a full-throated defense of capitalism, a blast at high taxes and the redistribution of wealth, a denunciation of affirmative action, prolonged hymns to the greatness and wonder of the United States, and accusations of hypocrisy toward students and faculty who reviled business and capital even as they fed off the capital that the hard work and ingenuity of businessmen had made possible. The implicit conclusion was that the students in the audience should stop being lab rats and drop out at once, and the faculty should be ashamed of themselves for participating in a swindle—a “shuck,” as Mamet called it.

It was as nervy a speech as I’ve ever seen, and not quite rude—Mamet was too genial to be rude—but almost. The students in Memorial Hall seemed mostly unperturbed. The ripples of dissatisfaction issued from the older members of the crowd. Two couples in front of me shot looks to one another as Mamet went on—first the tight little smiles, then quick shakes of the head, after a few more minutes the eye-rolls, and finally a hitchhiking gesture that was the signal to walk out. Several others followed, with grim faces.

It was too much, really. It’s one thing to titillate progressive theatergoers with scenes of physical abuse and psychological torture and lines like “You’re f—ing f—ed.” But David Mamet had at last gone too far. He’d turned into a f—ing Republican...

Gaffer
05-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Another progressive comes to his senses. Hopefully it spreads like a plague among them.

Kathianne
05-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Another progressive comes to his senses. Hopefully it spreads like a plague among them.

Indeed, I liked this part of 'self-examination' of thoughts:

[F]or anyone who admires Mamet and his work--and who agrees with most of his newly discovered political views--there's something thrilling about seeing a man so accomplished in an unforgiving art subject his ideas to pitiless examination and, as he put it, "take it all the way down to the paint." When Mamet recognized himself as a conservative, Shelby Steele told me, "it made him happy."

He doesn't freely talk about what it cost him psychologically, however, and he says he hasn't thought about what it might cost him professionally.

When I pushed him on the subject, he started talking about Jon Voight, another show business Republican.

One day Voight handed him Witness, the Cold War memoir by the Communist-turned-anti-Communist Whittaker Chambers.

"This book will change your life," Voight told Mamet.

"And he was right," Mamet said. "It had a huge effect on me. Forcing yourself into a new way of thinking about things is a wrenching experience. But first you have to look back and atone. You think, 'Oh my god, what have I done? What was I thinking?' You realize you've been a co-dependent with the herd. And then, when you decide to say what you've discovered, out loud, you take the risk that everyone you know will look on you as a fool."

A lot of us will identify with the feeling, as well as with Mamet's take on his family history:

His gratitude is comprehensive. In our long afternoon talking about politics, he kept returning to how grateful he was for his general good fortune in life, but especially for being an American.

"My grandmother came to this country and she and her two boys were abandoned by her husband," he said. "She couldn't speak English. No education. And during the Great Depression she was able to work hard and save and she put them both through law school." His voice had a tone of wonder to it, as though still awed by a fresh discovery. "I mean, what a country. That's a hell of a country."

fj1200
05-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Some of the best conservatives/Republicans were liberals/Democrats. WERE. ;)

Kathianne
05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Some of the best conservatives/Republicans were liberals/Democrats. WERE. ;)

I was quite the leftist through high school and first two years in college, then something awoke about the stupidity of what I was spouting. :laugh2:

SpidermanTUba
05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
He's been a Chicago favorite forever, national too. But liberal, not conservative, right? Well seems those times have been coming to an end for awhile, but now just out:

In case someone isn't familiar with Mamet, Wiki gives an inkling to his changing point of view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mamet

Weekly Standard has a 3 page story, though I'm posting the link to 'single page':

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/converting-mamet_561048.html?nopager=1

What are righties so obsessed with celebrities?

fj1200
05-16-2011, 07:46 AM
What are righties so obsessed with celebrities?

You're apparently unaware of lefty celebrity worship. I like to see stories of those who "see the light." ;)

SpidermanTUba
05-16-2011, 07:48 AM
You're apparently unaware of lefty celebrity worship.

I very much am. The only reason I know what celebrities are into politics wise is because I see obsessed right wingers whining and moaning about everything that comes out their mouths. Half these left wing celebrities that the right hates I had never even heard of until the right decided to make them famous for their politics. Folks like Janeane Garofalo are most certainly more famous - and hence likely make more money - because of the efforts of the right at making them famous. Heck Michael Moore would probably be flipping burgers for a living if it wasn't for the right wing making him so popular!

Can you find me even one thread on this board about a celebrity's beliefs that was not started by a rightie?

fj1200
05-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I very much am.

Then the rest of your post is pointless.

SpidermanTUba
05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Then the rest of your post is pointless.

Your entire life is pointless.

fj1200
05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Your entire life is pointless.

That's a healthy outlook for you. Perhaps if you didn't think that Hollywood had more than its share of lefties simply because conservatives point it out...