PDA

View Full Version : Separate router/network question

KitchenKitten99
05-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I havent gotten a chance to update our router firmware yet as we have been too busy to allow time for me to tinker with it.

Anyhow, I have a separate concern I just noticed yesterday.

I have the ability to see the computer names/ID's on my store's wi-fi network. When someone logs into the network, my POS system will get a pop-up saying a new device has logged into the network, and give the ID name or computer serial number. I can see all the IP info and even what operating system they have. I cannot see anything else.

I have two laptops (one normal laptop and a netbook I use for travel). Mr. has his one laptop.

Only one of all three of these has windows 7, which is my full-size one I got last year.

Yesterday the little notification pops up saying that my laptop is online on our network. This would normally be disregarded except that my laptop was nowhere near the store. It was at home, and off. Our house is 2 miles away. I confirmed it wasn't my netbook because it showed the OS as Windows 7. Again, there is only one laptop of the 3 we own with W7.

How could the router show me online when I was not, and my laptop was nowhere near our network signal? It still shows my laptop being on the network and online even now.

Do I have a concern about security? Has someone maybe cloned my laptop?

NightTrain
06-10-2011, 12:24 AM
It sounds to me like your router is confused... maybe give that baby a good old fashioned power-cycle and see what happens.