PDA

View Full Version : Nanny State Update - Ronald McDonald Has Got To Go

red states rule
05-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Once again, nanny state do gooders have to stick their nose into your personal business

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=950994712001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

Gaffer
05-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Saw this on the Blaze yesterday. It's time these big corps started fighting back against these silly fools.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Saw this on the Blaze yesterday. It's time these big corps started fighting back against these silly fools.

Makes you want to go out and get a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder with cheese

Gaffer
05-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I really don't like to eat MacDonald's except their breakfast. But if it helps against the food police I'll do it.

Don't tell me what I can or can't eat.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I really don't like to eat MacDonald's except their breakfast. But if it helps against the food police I'll do it.

Don't tell me what I can or can't eat.

I lOVE their Sausage McMuffin with Egg Gaffer

But I alway like Roy Rogers for breakfast Their Sourdough Sausage and Egg is also pretty damn good

Likewise, the government an go to hell as far as telling me what i can eat and when

DragonStryk72
05-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm a huge mcGriddle fan, with sausage egg & Cheese. Get a couple of sausage burritos with that. For lunch/dinner, that Angus Mushroom & Swiss has my attention

red states rule
05-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm a huge mcGriddle fan, with sausage egg & Cheese. Get a couple of sausage burritos with that. For lunch/dinner, that Angus Mushroom & Swiss has my attention

Those Angus burgers are fantastic

Why do the nany staters have a problem with what other people eat?

Gaffer
05-21-2011, 10:28 AM

They just like telling everyone what to do.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
They just like telling everyone what to do.

They want to tell you what to eat, how much salt you can use, how much water your toilet can use when you flush it, and of course, what type of light bulbs you can use in your own house

What I leave anything out?

DragonStryk72
05-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Actually, it's not that. It's actually that they believe that parents have no capacity to say no to their children. That the power of the clown is just so great that how can any parent resist getting the least healthy food possible for their children.

To them, they believe that they are "protecting" us from a great danger. The thing is though, our obesity problem has only existed 10-20 years, and the clown been around far longer than that, so clearly, that isn't the cause.

Actually, I postulate that it is the Nanny-state itself that's causing obesity. You remember back when you used to see kids playing on the front lawn, when parents would kick their kids out of the house to go play outside? When do you see that anymore? Parents are not letting children do the usual running running about, biking, and such that was considered the norm even 12 years ago. Adults meanwhile, with all the extra connectivity, have stopped getting to know their neighbors, and this has allow the fears to start to seep in.

Then the media of course plays up that very fear, and paranoia sets in, because there are "so many" child abductions and such. Nevermind that crime is at a 20 year low statistically, and that the statistical chance of your kid getting snatched by a predator is slightly less likely than that kid getting struck by lightning.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Actually, it's not that. It's actually that they believe that parents have no capacity to say no to their children. That the power of the clown is just so great that how can any parent resist getting the least healthy food possible for their children.

To them, they believe that they are "protecting" us from a great danger. The thing is though, our obesity problem has only existed 10-20 years, and the clown been around far longer than that, so clearly, that isn't the cause.

Actually, I postulate that it is the Nanny-state itself that's causing obesity. You remember back when you used to see kids playing on the front lawn, when parents would kick their kids out of the house to go play outside? When do you see that anymore? Parents are not letting children do the usual running running about, biking, and such that was considered the norm even 12 years ago. Adults meanwhile, with all the extra connectivity, have stopped getting to know their neighbors, and this has allow the fears to start to seep in.

Then the media of course plays up that very fear, and paranoia sets in, because there are "so many" child abductions and such. Nevermind that crime is at a 20 year low statistically, and that the statistical chance of your kid getting snatched by a predator is slightly less likely than that kid getting struck by lightning.

Things have changed. I got this in an emial last week

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it .

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock .
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 – In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

gabosaurus
05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Silly boy! How much time do you waste looking for these weird and obscure items?

red states rule
05-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Silly boy! How much time do you waste looking for these weird and obscure items?

Silly and weird - perfect description of nanny state libs Gabby

gabosaurus
05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Dubya had a nanny state as well. Or perhaps you choose to overlook that.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Dubya had a nanny state as well. Or perhaps you choose to overlook that.

Examples please?

and why is it whenever the topic of the current actions of left, libs always try to change the subject to Pres Bush?

I thought you guys were going to be different from Bush?

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Once again, nanny state do gooders have to stick their nose into your personal business

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=950994712001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

I don't have any personal business with Ronald McDonald, sorry.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't have any personal business with Ronald McDonald, sorry.

I would not say that.

You tend to remind me of a clown

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Examples please?

and why is it whenever the topic of the current actions of left, libs always try to change the subject to Pres Bush?

I thought you guys were going to be different from Bush?

Because the right are blatant hypocrites whose standards of what was good and bad policy - even their standards of right and wrong - changed the instant a D replaced an R in the White House. This is all to evident by the fact that whenever their hypocrisies are mentioned they immediately begin whining about someone digging up the deep dark distant past of 3 years ago. The Republicans have changed since then, we can't hold them to what they did that long ago (especially considering their memories usually only go back 4-8 weeks).

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Because the right are blatant hypocrites whose standards of what was good and bad policy - even their standards of right and wrong - changed the instant a D replaced an R in the White House. This is all to evident by the fact that whenever their hypocrisies are mentioned they immediately begin whining about someone digging up the deep dark distant past of 3 years ago. The Republicans have changed since then, we can't hold them to what they did that long ago (especially considering their memories usually only go back 4-8 weeks).

Now we have ST going back and ranting about what? Nothing that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Nanny state busybodies who want to tell people what they can and cannot eat - and ST goes off on a mindless rant

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Now we have ST going back and ranting about what? Nothing that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Actually I was directly addressing a question that YOU asked:

You're so fucking stupid you can't even remember what you posted a page ago.

KarlMarx
05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
McDonald's produces a product that people obviously want. And they do so without breaking the laws or God or Man. In fact, McDonald's can teach the government a few things on how to keep your financial house in order... just who should be telling who?

If people want to eat fries and hamburger, let them. Leave the evangelizing where it belongs, in our houses of worship.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
McDonald's produces a product that people obviously want. And they do so without breaking the laws or God or Man. In fact, McDonald's can teach the government a few things on how to keep your financial house in order... just who should be telling who?

If people want to eat fries and hamburger, let them. Leave the evangelizing where it belongs, in our houses of worship.

But nanny staters think we are too stupid not to know it is "bad" for us so they have to step in and take care of us

People like that go thru life looking for things to be offended over and only they can solve the "problem"

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:23 PM
But nannt staters think we are too stupid not to know it is "bad" for us so they have to step in and take care of us

People like that go thru life looking for things to be offended over and only they can solve the "problem"

Right wingers are such tragic idealists.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Right wingers are such tragic idealists.

and left wingers are full of crap, hypocrisy, and arrogance

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:27 PM

"Food Police" = "Health Care Groups"

WHO? Sorry Neil, can you be more specific? Is "Health Care Groups" a government entity?

Can't find much about this story outside of FOX News - a sure sign its NON-NEWS

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
"Food Police" = "Health Care Groups"

WHO? Sorry Neil, can you be more specific? Is "Health Care Groups" a government entity?

Can't find much about this story outside of FOX News - a sure sign its NON-NEWS

You make this way to easy son

This has been going on for years

Can Ronald McDonald be forced into early retirement?
Advocacy group wants McDonald’s to let go of spokesman in light of childhood obesity crisis
March 29, 2010|By Julie Wernau, Tribune reporter
A coalition of health professionals, parents and corporate accountability advocates is calling for Ronald McDonald to retire as a spokesman for the nation's largest restaurant chain, saying he has too much influence on kids.

Corporate Accountability International, which has waged campaigns against bottled water companies and tobacco companies, wants to stop the Oak Brook-based chain from gearing its advertising toward children in light of what they called a "fast-food-industry childhood obesity crisis."

The group will release the results at a lunchtime "retirement party" Wednesday for McDonald's Chief Happiness Officer, a 50-year veteran of the company, at the McDonald's restaurant at Chicago

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-29/news/ct-talk-ronald-mcdonald-retire-0329-20100329_1_early-retirement-childhood-obesity-crisis-restaurant

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
More than 550 health professionals and organizations have signed a letter to McDonald's Corp. asking the maker of Happy Meals to stop marketing junk food to kids and retire Ronald McDonald. Is Ronald the "Joe Camel" of unhealthy food? Or does McDonald's do a good job in promoting healthier choices for children?

HEY REDSTATES MORON - THIS IS NOT THE NANNY STATE YOU FUCKING IDIOT. THESE ARE PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS AND ORGANIZATIONS WRITING ANOTHER PRIVATE ENTITY A FUCKING LETTER. I'M SORRY YOU HATE FREE SPEECH AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY TITLE A THREAD

The correct title of the thread is "Republicans whine and moan like little bitches because some doctors told McDonald's their food isn't healthy"

http://online.wsj.com/community/groups/general-forum/topics/should-mcdonalds-retire-ronald-mcdonald?commentid=2504254

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
HEY REDSTATES MORON - THIS IS NOT THE NANNY STATE YOU FUCKING IDIOT. THESE ARE PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS AND ORGANIZATIONS WRITING ANOTHER PRIVATE ENTITY A FUCKING LETTER. I'M SORRY YOU HATE FREE SPEECH AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY TITLE A THREAD

The correct title of the thread is "Republicans whine and moan like little bitches because some doctors told McDonald's their food isn't healthy"

http://online.wsj.com/community/groups/general-forum/topics/should-mcdonalds-retire-ronald-mcdonald?commentid=2504254

ad we have this on the nanny staters

So much for it only being Fox News

McDonald’s reportedly spends $2 billion on marketing every year, 40 percent of which is directly aimed at children, said organizer Grace Morris of Corporate Accountability International.

“Ronald McDonald is a symbol for this food that makes kids sick,” said Morris after the event.

And that’s why the group wants McDonald’s to retire the friendly clown.

The corporation has no intention of doing that, however, according to a statement presented to the protesters:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story_2nd.php?story_id=129672266524791000

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:35 PM
ad we have thiso n the nanny staters

So much for it only being Fox News

I'm sorry but Corporate Accountability International is a non-profit funded by private human beings and corporate entities - I fail to see what the nanny state has to do with this. You would appear to be whining like a bitch about nothing.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry but Corporate Accountability International is a non-profit funded by private human beings and corporate entities - I fail to see what the nanny state has to do with this. You would appear to be whining like a bitch about nothing.

and fromt he mecca of nanny states

Again, so much for only Fox News talking about this

CBS) If Ronald McDonald is looking a bit glum these days, there's a reason:

They've banned the Happy Meal in San Francisco.

Actually, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted to ban restaurants from handing out toys with meals that fail to meet basic nutritional standards for fat, calories, and sodium. That would include the Happy Meal, which has been a fat-packed fave of hungry children for decades.

Backers of the bill said it would help promote healthy eating habits and help in the fight against childhood obesity, which has tripled in the past 30 years, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Our children are sick," Supervisor Eric Mar, who sponsored the measure, told Reuters. "Rates of obesity in San Francisco are disturbingly high, especially among children of color. This is a challenge to the restaurant industry to think about children's health first and join the wide range of local restaurants that have already made this commitment."

Mar may not be exaggerating. Up to 30 percent of the city's fifth-graders are overweight, the New York Times reported.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20021754-10391704.html#ixzz1N0eMEcCu

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:38 PM
and fromt he mecca of nanny states

Again, so much for only Fox News talking about this

That's not even the same story moron. Its from November of 2010. Jesus Christ you are one of the dumbest people I've ever met.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
That's not even the same story moron. Its from November of 2010. Jesus Christ you are one of the dumbest people I've ever met.

Hey, I had your sorry ass for lunch son. Give it and join SD and head for the exit while you can still limp away :laugh2:

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey, I had your sorry ass for lunch son. Give it and join SD and head for the exit while you can still limp away :laugh2:

?????
Sorry I'm still trying to figure out what your thread title has to do with private citizens sending McDonald's a letter. Please explain.

Thread: Nanny State Update - Ronald McDonald Has Got To Go

I mean, you seem confused poor child! A group of private citizens acting by their own will isn't a "nanny state". I think you must just think anything you don't like the sound of is "nanny state" or "marxism" or "liberal", is that how you think?

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:43 PM
?????
Sorry I'm still trying to figure out what your thread title has to do with private citizens sending McDonald's a letter. Please explain.

I did in the opening posts. Nanny staters want to determine what people eat and they think only they should determine the menu

Parents are too stupid to take care of their kids and thus they have to step in and handle the situation

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I did in the opening posts. Nanny staters want to determine what people eat and they think only they should determine the menu

Whose determining what here? A group of concerned private citizens politely send McDonald's a letter - no one is forcing anyone to do anything. You're really the most emotionally exaggerated little bitch I've ever seen outside of reality television.

Gaffer
05-21-2011, 12:57 PM

Parents are too stupid to take care of their kids and thus they have to step in and handle the situation

You handed stupidman his ass half a dozen times and he hasn't figure out it's in his hand. :salute:

red states rule
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
You handed stupidman his ass half a dozen times and he hasn't figure out it's in his hand. :salute:

Not much of a task Gaffer

Like Obama, he is in way over his head here.

Like Obama he is the least qualified person in whatever room he enters

DragonStryk72
05-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Whose determining what here?

No, because a bunch of concerned private citizens worrying about their own children would just not eat at McDonald's and deprive them of the business. The would form a lobbying group to decide what/where other parents' children will eat.

And see, I didn't even need to increase the type size, or make use of all caps to get that across.

DragonStryk72
05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

Ahem, I'll call your attention to the video in the OP. They forced all fast food places to post calorie counts (Why anyone needed that to work out the formula fast food=not healthy is beyond me. I've known that much since I was twelve), they forced McDonald's out of schools and such. Legislation is not the only form of force in the world, nor is violence.

You are just flatly wrong, ST. Period, force has been used.

red states rule
05-21-2011, 01:54 PM
and another source that is NOT Fox News

In an open letter to McDonald's CEO Jim Skinner, the nonprofit group, Corporate Accountability International, wants the fast food company to stop using Ronald McDonald. In the letter, signed by hundreds of healthcare providers, the group links the company's marketing of their food to children to the rise in obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

"We ask that you heed our concern and retire your marketing promotions for food high in salt, fat, sugar, and calories to children, whatever form they take – from Ronald McDonald to toy giveaways. Our children and health care system will benefit from your leadership on this issue," the letter says.

This isn't the first time that the fast food chain has come under fire. Late last year the Center for Science in the Public Interest filed a lawsuit claiming McDonald's violates California's consumer protection laws by using toys to market Happy Meals to young children.

For now, McDonald's is standing by Ronald. "We are committed to responsible advertising and take our communications to children very seriously. Ronald is an ambassador for good and delivers important messages to kids on safety, literacy and balanced, active lifestyles," McDonald's said in a statement. Ronald McDonald is also the face of the Ronald McDonald House, a charity organization that provides affordable housing for families who travel out of town for a child's medical treatment.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/nonprofit_group_wants_mcdonald.html

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 02:01 PM
No, because a bunch of concerned private citizens worrying about their own children would just not eat at McDonald's and deprive them of the business.

Who the fuck are you to decide how people should exercise their liberty?

The would form a lobbying group to decide what/where other parents' children will eat.

Really? Where does it say that in their letter? Have you even fucking read it dipshit?

red states rule
05-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Really? Where does it say that in their letter? Have you even fucking read it dipshit?

ST tone it down, I told you you won the most obnoxious poster on the board. You do not need to keep campaigning for the award

You do have aproblem eating yourown words don't you?

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 02:03 PM
and another source that is NOT Fox News

Great. I'm still failing to see the big crime here. A bunch of health care providers are pissed that McDonald's is trying to get people hooked on their food before they're 12 - and ? Are they not allowed to be pissed about that and write a letter about it because you're too busy licking Ronald McDonald's arsehole and it tastes way too fucking good for you to put up with people badmouthing it?

red states rule
05-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Great. I'm still failing to see the big crime here. A bunch of health care providers are pissed that McDonald's is trying to get people hooked on their food before they're 12 - and ? Are they not allowed to be pissed about that and write a letter about it because you're too busy licking Ronald McDonald's arsehole and it tastes way too fucking good for you to put up with people badmouthing it?

You have a habit of failing to see much of anything. You have been destroyed here yet you keep coming back for more

All you have are insults, foul language, and persoanl attacks to offer since you have nothing else to offer to defend your POV

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
They forced all fast food places to post calorie counts

Oh my fucking God the world is ending !!! Run everyone run!!!!

(Why anyone needed that to work out the formula fast food=not healthy is beyond me. I've known that much since I was twelve),

Well I'm sorry the world doesn't revolve around you in particular. Must be heartbreaking for you to find this out.

they forced McDonald's out of schools

Out of what schools? Ones owned and run by the people through their local government or was it the schools owned and run by McDonalds?

You and Ronald are clearly ass buddies if you think the public has no business telling them what they can and can't do in the public schools

SpidermanTUba
05-21-2011, 02:08 PM
You have a habit of failing to see much of anything. You have been destroyed here yet you keep coming back for more

There's nothing to see here. Some concerned doctors and others in the health industry have written McDonald's a letter. Who gives a fuck?

red states rule
05-21-2011, 02:09 PM
There's nothing to see here. Some concerned doctors and others in the health industry have written McDonald's a letter. Who gives a fuck?

Good. If there is nothing to see here - then goodby

You are trolling and disrupting the thread

DragonStryk72
05-21-2011, 06:37 PM

One, I have not insulted you. I pointed logical holes in your argument. I expect the same treatment.

Who are you to decide it, is what I ask? You don't like McDonald's, don't eat there, or take your kids there. That's it.

You stated that no one was forcing McDonald's to do anything. They did, end of story. You decided to throw the histrionic displays over it, and my thought on is that it's because you have no real argument. You're just spouting rhetoric.