PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped Parking Abuse Costing CA Millions

red states rule
05-23-2011, 05:13 AM
This is how bad things are in CA folks. The libs are so hard up for money they have to set up a "sting operation" on this

Fraudulent use of disabled parking placards — those blue or red badges that allow motorists to park for free or in specially reserved spaces — has exploded in the last decade, according to state motor vehicle officials. With 1 in 10 California drivers now legally registered to carry the passes, transportation experts say abuse has become commonplace. At any given moment, on any given street, more than a third of the vehicles displaying the tags — and parking without paying — are doing so illegally, say officials with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Now, with the state and municipalities in financial crisis, the DMV is cracking down on placard fraud. In a series of sting operations, DMV investigators have targeted malingering motorists in such high-volume parking districts as Beverly Hills' Golden Triangle, downtown's Fashion District and Westwood. With more stings planned, they could be coming soon to a street near you.

The issue strikes at the nexus of parking angst, civic revenues and righteous indignation. With many cities adopting high-tech meters and demand-based pricing, abuse of disabled placards translates into millions of dollars in lost parking revenues and increased traffic congestion as paying motorists are forced to cruise streets looking for open spaces, officials say.

"It's unbelievable how many people do it," grumbled one passer-by in Beverly Hills, who praised a recent DMV sting operation. "I find it a little galling."

Under California law, as in most states, cars displaying a disabled placard may park for free for an unlimited time at metered spaces. The placard holder does not have to own or drive the vehicle, but if a relative or friend is using the placard to secure free, unlimited parking, then the placard holder must accompany that person or be within "reasonable proximity."

The law was intended to make it more convenient for individuals with missing or paralyzed extremities, impaired vision or heart, circulatory or lung disease to park conveniently and for as long as necessary to visit doctors or run errands. A disabled placard may be prescribed by, among others, a medical doctor, a nurse practitioner, a certified nurse midwife, a physician's assistant, a chiropractor or an optometrist.

But with metered spaces now costing as much as $4 an hour, the temptation to misuse a friend's or relative's placard — even a dead one's — can be great.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/handicapped-parking-abuse-is-costing-cash-strapped-calif-millions/

darin
05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I sorta think... "GOOD". Governments have way too much money from tax payers already. It's not costing CA ANYTHING - it's just not able to steal as much money from the citizens. Money-missed-out-on is NOT money-lost.

DragonStryk72
05-23-2011, 11:40 AM
This is how bad things are in CA folks. The libs are so hard up for money they have to set up a "sting operation" on this

Wait. What does free parking have to do with being handicapped? Every single Doctor's office I've ever been to has had some sort of parking lot with handicapped parking. So why are they getting around the meters in the first place? Yes, they have to use a car for grocery shopping, but that's about everybody on that count.

red states rule
05-23-2011, 01:12 PM
I guess it never occured to the libs in CA to LOWER the cost of parking thus any abuse of the handicapped stickers might go away on its own

and they might take in MORE revenue if the parking rates are lowered thus increasing activity in the business sectors of town?

N+But we are talking about liberals - so no - it never occured to them

Abbey Marie
05-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I would suggest that the parking be free but time-limited, so there is access for many. I'm with Darin on this.

red states rule
05-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I would suggest that the parking be free but time-limited, so there is access for many. I'm with Darin on this.

Good idea Abbey. Libs fail to grasp if you want to tax any activity then you need to encourgae the activity. The left always seem to discourage any aciivity they want to tax and then we are having to deal with incidents of "lost revenue"

I wonder if they will recover enough "lost revenue" to cover the cost of the sting operations

logroller
05-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Wait. What does free parking have to do with being handicapped? Every single Doctor's office I've ever been to has had some sort of parking lot with handicapped parking. So why are they getting around the meters in the first place? Yes, they have to use a car for grocery shopping, but that's about everybody on that count.

I suppose its so the handicapped person doesn't have to hobble out to pay the meter or move their car. Both my parents are handicapped and its a physical ordeal for them to go anywhere and every little advantage helps. Its not like handicapped people just go to the doctor or the grocery store. Its the four cars parked in the handicapped spots at the gym you have to question.

I wonder if they will recover enough "lost revenue" to cover the cost of the sting operations

I think its just a scare-tactic, like being ticketed for driving while on a cell phone. I literally see it ten times a day when I drive, but I've only heard, not verified, of one person being ticketed.

red states rule
05-24-2011, 04:57 AM
I suppose its so the handicapped person doesn't have to hobble out to pay the meter or move their car. Both my parents are handicapped and its a physical ordeal for them to go anywhere and every little advantage helps. Its not like handicapped people just go to the doctor or the grocery store. Its the four cars parked in the handicapped spots at the gym you have to question.

I think its just a scare-tactic, like being ticketed for driving while on a cell phone. I literally see it ten times a day when I drive, but I've only heard, not verified, of one person being ticketed.

Never be quick to dismiss any ideas for the government of CA to help itself to more money from the pockets of the residents (or even non-residents)

Libs are hard up thanks to their own polciies and when it comes to increasing revenue NOTHING is off the table

Except lower taxes, less government spending, and learning to live within its means

fj1200
05-24-2011, 07:30 AM
This whole thing might just have the purpose of, you know, possibly, not out of the realm of possibility, perhaps, please consider the likelihood of, cleaning up fraud and abuse.

red states rule
05-24-2011, 07:47 AM
This whole thing might just have the purpose of, you know, possibly, not out of the realm of possibility, perhaps, please consider the likelihood of, cleaning up fraud and abuse.

If libs were ever serious about cleaning up fraud and abuse they would start by eliminating their government job and many government agenices

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uTmfwklFM-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DragonStryk72
05-25-2011, 02:19 AM

Then shouldn't the crackdown be on the guys parked in the handicapped parking? They have to hobble or roll places in any case. I mean, hell, one of my scout leaders was a parapalegic, but he still managed to go camping and hiking with us, and I saw him put money in the meters.

Yeah, but people realize it's a scare tactic, so unless they get serious about it, they're just wasting time and energy.

logroller
05-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but people realize it's a scare tactic, so unless they get serious about it, they're just wasting time and energy.

Agreed. I really don't like the color of the article, as it implies the reason to crack down on fraudulent use is because it costs the state money; as though administering the law isn't justification enough. By that same justification, money, it makes sense why people would use the placards fraudulently.

gabosaurus
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Handicapped parking abuse costs EVERY state millions of dollars!
Dear RSR, why not get your nose out of those wacko right-wing blogs and actually use your brain for a change. You are so gung ho on posting every anti-liberal article you can find that rarely take time to consider what you are posting. As a result, your mind is turning to mush.
In other words, you are becoming the conservative version of Virgil. Snap out of it!

jimnyc
05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
As a result, your mind is turning to mush.

Hey now! It's MY mind that's turning to mush! I took 6 percocets the night before last, 7 of them yesterday and am on 4 thus far today. I feel my brain slushing around as I type.

As for the subject, I have a special kind of hate for those who use handicapped placards when not handicapped. My Mom complained sometimes that she couldn't find a spot at Walmart or the like at times because all of the handicapped spots were full - with cars that didn't even have a card. Then you sit around and see a fat fuck come out to the spot or a kid. I know it's "possible" that sometimes it is a handicapped person, but most of the time it was someone just abusing it because they were too lazy to walk.

When I pull into a large parking lot, or most lots for that case - I generally grab the first spot I see that is far away. It's usually quicker to just do that and walk in than waste time searching for the elusive golden ticket spot up close.

gabosaurus
05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
When I pull into a large parking lot, or most lots for that case - I generally grab the first spot I see that is far away. It's usually quicker to just do that and walk in than waste time searching for the elusive golden ticket spot up close.

My parents taught me about this many years ago. My mom always told my sister and I that walking was good exercise. I often see people who will circle a lot for 10 minutes rather than walk a few more steps.

When I was at Cal, I volunteered in a group that took shifts walking the parking lots looking for cars parked in handicapped spots without plates or placards. We would report their location to campus police. The ticket then was $250.
A friend of mine was accosted by two people once. One was an obese girl who claimed she was handicapped by being fat. Another guy said he was in a hurry. Too bad. :)

red states rule
05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Handicapped parking abuse costs EVERY state millions of dollars!
Dear RSR, why not get your nose out of those wacko right-wing blogs and actually use your brain for a change. You are so gung ho on posting every anti-liberal article you can find that rarely take time to consider what you are posting. As a result, your mind is turning to mush.
In other words, you are becoming the conservative version of Virgil. Snap out of it!

OK Ms Civility, show me ONE example where I wished death on you or a member of your family. Show me ONE example of where I attacked you with a vulgar sexual insult. Without an example, you have no basis to compare me with Virgil

Do I need to go back and post some of your threads Gabby? You were (and still are) on the lookout for anything that paints the Republicans in a bad light

Why do you have an issue with someone doing the same thing to the Dems? Maybe because Dems provide so much MORE material?

DragonStryk72
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Agreed. I really don't like the color of the article, as it implies the reason to crack down on fraudulent use is because it costs the state money; as though administering the law isn't justification enough. By that same justification, money, it makes sense why people would use the placards fraudulently.

The further problem is that this isn't about handicapped SPACES- this is about using the placards because they allow you to park in front of a meter without having to pay. That's where my issue on this springs up. They're disabled.... so they don't have quarters? The meters are universally placed at handicapped accessible height.

logroller
05-25-2011, 03:48 PM
The further problem is that this isn't about handicapped SPACES- this is about using the placards because they allow you to park in front of a meter without having to pay. That's where my issue on this springs up. They're disabled.... so they don't have quarters? The meters are universally placed at handicapped accessible height.

I look at from a legal perspective. My understanding of handicapped parking law is that it is meant to give advantage to the disadvantaged, in an effort to provide equal opportunity. Applying this concept to timed or metered spaces(as metered spaces are timed,right?), is to allow those persons whom have disabilities more time to accomplish their errands because they likely need more time. Understanding, of course, their need for more time is not a monetary issue, I suppose they could have a digital keyfob or something which doubles their time; but I can understand why parking enforcement found it easier(and cheaper) to not enforce handicapped parking in metered spots at all. The issue is fraud, the fact money plays part in the consideration is just government agencies feeling the pinch of budget deficits-- they should be enforcing law against fraud all the time, not just when its cutting into their take.

I know a few cops who just come across some law they feel like enforcing, a 'violation of day' if you will, and go out and catch somebody for breaking it. My personal favorite...

California Vehicle Code VC 23120 - Temple Width of Glasses

23120. No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing glasses having a temple width of one-half inch or more if any part of such temple extends below the horizontal center of the lens so as to interfere with lateral vision.

Added Ch. 531, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.

Couture be damned!
http://www.fashionfame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Oversized-sunglasses-trend.jpeg

Little-Acorn
05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Leavin aside for a moment whether the govt SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be regulating handicapped parking differently from normal parking.....

What are these "abusers" doing, exactly? Parking in handicapped spots without displaying any handicapped tags at all?

The OP mentioned that a certain percentage of the people parking in handicapped spots and displaying handicapped tags on their cars were doing it "illegally". If they have a tag, then what are they doing that's illegal? Yeah, I know, a perfectly able-bodied person borrows the car of his wife who is handicapped and has HER tag, and he parks in a handicapped spot, gets out of the car, and walks into the store with no trouble. Anyone who points out that he's an able-bodied person parking in a handicapped zone, he just points to the tag on his (wife's) car that he just got out of, and walks away.

I believe the law technically says that any CAR parked in a handicapped spot, must have a tag displayed. It doesn't say that there must be a handicapped person using the car, though of course that was the intent. Sure, what the able-bodied guy just did is sleazy and inconsiderate. But is it illegal?

Or are able-bodied people running off their very own handmade (fake) handicapped tags on their HP color printers at home and (illegally) hanging them in their cars?

jimnyc
05-25-2011, 05:07 PM
It IS actually against the law to use a handicapped sticker/placard if it does not belong to you, and they can take it away from you on the spot if you are not the legal owner of it, not to mention a heft fine can be levied.

Little-Acorn
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
It IS actually against the law to use a handicapped sticker/placard if it does not belong to you, and they can take it away from you on the spot if you are not the legal owner of it, not to mention a heft fine can be levied.

Does that mean I have to give back my cousin's spare tag and start searching for parking again? :laugh2:

jimnyc
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Does that mean I have to give back my cousin's spare tag and start searching for parking again? :laugh2:

Of course not, you won't get that from me. While I do have a little anger towards this because of my Mom, I break as many laws as I can every day, so I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise to you! :laugh2:

With that said, be careful, some places have fines as high as $1500 and standard fines of like $750 for this offense!!

Or you could be like the REAL lazy people and just pull up to the front of the parking lot and park at the curb by the entrance. If anyone complains, just tell them you are doing so to prevent yourself from hogging the handicapped spots!! :coffee:

red states rule
05-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Sounds like that would solve the problem if the current laws on the books were enforced

But like with other issues, that does not seem to be a priority with the powers that be

SassyLady
05-29-2011, 02:18 AM

Are you kidding .... here in CA they pull you over for no seat belts, talking on the phone, driving in the commute lanes ... CHP are everywhere. And traffic is so heavy they have the motorcycle cops that sneak up on you ... they have unmarked cars that don't have light bars across the top.

If I don't remember my headset, I don't talk on the phone that day. And, I don't leave for work, or for home, until the commute times are over....mostly because I always drive in the fast lane and if it's during commute I get in the fast lane as a habit....oooops!! Cops won't accept that as an excuse.

It really pisses me off when I see someone park in a handicapped spot without a tag....but I get even more pissed at those that do have the handicapped tag and get out and walk in and they are obviously not handicapped. At least those without the tag are not committing fraud ... they are just taking a risk. The others are cheating.

I knew a lady and after her mother was committed to a nursing home she kept the tag and used it to get good parking spaces. I told her I wouldn't ride with her unless she took the tag down and parked where she was supposed to.

Those people are taking a space that a legitimate handicapped person might need.

red states rule
05-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Are you kidding .... here in CA they pull you over for no seat belts, talking on the phone, driving in the commute lanes ... CHP are everywhere. And traffic is so heavy they have the motorcycle cops that sneak up on you ... they have unmarked cars that don't have light bars across the top.

If I don't remember my headset, I don't talk on the phone that day. And, I don't leave for work, or for home, until the commute times are over....mostly because I always drive in the fast lane and if it's during commute I get in the fast lane as a habit....oooops!! Cops won't accept that as an excuse.

It really pisses me off when I see someone park in a handicapped spot without a tag....but I get even more pissed at those that do have the handicapped tag and get out and walk in and they are obviously not handicapped. At least those without the tag are not committing fraud ... they are just taking a risk. The others are cheating.

I knew a lady and after her mother was committed to a nursing home she kept the tag and used it to get good parking spaces. I told her I wouldn't ride with her unless she took the tag down and parked where she was supposed to.

Those people are taking a space that a legitimate handicapped person might need.

Sounds to me the state of CA is doing the same thing the state of MD and PA are doing. Turning the POlcie into a money making machine. They are pulling people over for the most minor of issues. They have raised the fines and one liberal was happy about it.

He admitted the state needs revenue and this was an excellent way to generate it

As far as healthy people taking a parking space for the handicapped - use the Police to enfore the law. Raise the fines and make it very expensive for the lazy idiot to take the space to avoid walking a little further

fj1200
05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
As far as healthy people taking a parking space for the handicapped - use the Police to enfore the law. Raise the fines and make it very expensive for the lazy idiot to take the space to avoid walking a little further

But how would you catch them but for the sting or the police to monitor activities?

red states rule
05-30-2011, 07:23 AM
But how would you catch them but for the sting or the police to monitor activities?

I guess CA no longer have cops walking a beat, armed with a ticket book, like most other states?

But then again, the CA is broke and may not be able to afford such a simple solution to the problem