PDA

View Full Version : For our Libertarian folks

Abbey Marie
05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
So, my husband got a $75 ticket for a DWT- "Driving While Talking". :mad:

Quite galling, I have to say. Especially since he was talking to ME when it happened. If we must have these laws, there should at least be an exemption for talking to your wife. Husbands know they have to answer when we call, lol.

Kathianne
05-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quite galling, I have to say. Especially since he was talking to ME when it happened. If we must have these laws, there should at least be an exemption for talking to your wife. Husbands know they have to answer when we call, lol.

Was he on a cell?

Abbey Marie
05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Was he on a cell?

Yuppers. Stopped at a red light.

darin
05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I hate that populations allow their 'leaders' to enact these types of taxes :(

Trigg
05-27-2011, 03:54 PM

thank goodness we don't have that law here. I'd be in real trouble

jimnyc
05-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Oh yeah, we know you women all too well, at least a little bit!!

http://i54.tinypic.com/25h0m0h.jpg

Kathianne
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Truth to tell, I think people would be much better off throwing the damn cells out the window. :laugh: I got rid of mine and I only answer calls at home when I wish to. I've caller ID and can call folks back or they can leave a message. LOL! I hate being connected all the time!

The libertarian part of me though agrees that one should have free use of one's property, including one's cell in one's car. Of course one would also be responsible for anything that happens when driving and talking, goes without saying. Don't need a law for that though. ;) Just some common sense. At a stop? I'd fight it.

Abbey Marie
05-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Jim, that's actually an improvement over the pervasive idea that there is NO pleasing us, lol.

BoogyMan
05-28-2011, 08:55 PM

So it is YOUR fault he got the ticket? :lol:

boogyman ducks waiting for the swing

fj1200
05-28-2011, 10:56 PM
The libertarian part of me though agrees that one should have free use of one's property, including one's cell in one's car. Of course one would also be responsible for anything that happens when driving and talking, goes without saying. Don't need a law for that though. ;) Just some common sense. At a stop? I'd fight it.

I wouldn't say that's a libertarian thing, yes you should have the free use of your property but you are on public property while driving and it then becomes a safety issue of endangering the property of others.

Kathianne
05-28-2011, 11:06 PM
I wouldn't say that's a libertarian thing, yes you should have the free use of your property but you are on public property while driving and it then becomes a safety issue of endangering the property of others.

Many things people do in cars while driving are safety issues. No reason to single cell use out, just remind people they are freaking idiots to talk, much less text, while driving.

fj1200
05-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Many things people do in cars while driving are safety issues. No reason to single cell use out, just remind people they are freaking idiots to talk, much less text, while driving.

Which brings up the responsibility issue you also mentioned. The ramifications are missing to some extent. A frequent Atlanta, and elsewhere I'm sure, news story is a teen in a too powerful car that they can't control and end up killing someone; the parent who bought the car should be the one who feels major financial pain in a scenario like that. Change that to texting and a parent paying the bill and you might change the outlook of the parents who enable the activity.

Kathianne
05-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Which brings up the responsibility issue you also mentioned. The ramifications are missing to some extent. A frequent Atlanta, and elsewhere I'm sure, news story is a teen in a too powerful car that they can't control and end up killing someone; the parent who bought the car should be the one who feels major financial pain in a scenario like that. Change that to texting and a parent paying the bill and you might change the outlook of the parents who enable the activity.

I wouldn't disagree. My first boyfriend died in a Corvette. He got that car and a 'Cuda from his parents for his 16th birthday, he died 5 days after. Even then it seemed to me that they were covering their negligence in attention with gifts. Luckily the car that hit his, no one was hurt. The Corvette just splintered apart, being made of fiberglass in the main. That was in 1971.

fj1200
05-29-2011, 12:09 AM
I can't imagine a worse thing.

SassyLady
05-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Everyone I knew in high school drove muscle cars with powerful engines. In fact, I've been driving muscle cars my whole life. I love power. :laugh:

However, most of us had been driving the farm vehicles (pickups/tractors) around for years and probably had loads more driving experience than most of the kids nowadays.

And, we didn't have distractions like cells phones, video players and mini-computers in our cars ..... the most distracting thing was changing the dial for the radio and/or kissing and making out while driving (bench seats allowed us to practically sit in each other's laps --- oh, forgot ... did that too!!!)