PDA

View Full Version : Fined $100/branch for improperly pruned trees!???!!!!

SassyLady
05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Talk about creating revenue for the city.

Albemarle Road church fined $100 per branch for excessive tree pruning

By Brittany Penland
Correspondent
Posted: Saturday, May. 28, 2011

Eddie Sales looks over some of the trimmed crape myrtles on the grounds of Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church.

Every two to three years, Eddie Sales trims and prunes the crape myrtles at his church, Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church.

But this year, the city of Charlotte cited the church for improperly pruning its trees.

"We always keep our trees trimmed back because you don't want to worry about them hanging down in the way," said Sales, a church member.

The church was fined $100 per branch cut for excessive pruning, bringing the violation to $4,000.

"I just couldn't believe it when I heard about it," Sales said. "We trim our trees back every three years all over our property, and this is the first time we have been fined."

The fine will be dropped if the church replaces each of the improperly pruned trees, said Tom Johnson, senior urban forester for city of Charlotte Land Development Division

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/28/2333197/church-fined-for-improper-tree.html#ixzz1No8f0iP9

logroller
05-30-2011, 02:20 AM
I am licensed landscape contractor and I'll let you in on a simple rule for proper tree/large bush pruning.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQORjcpkr6h88p9XQn3nifm65oXf7b_ cpfVgl9bMCNdb9IR-19

It's just that simple; though in extreme cases up to a third of branch length may be trimmed, but prudence should be observed along with experience. The frequency varies; bushes two to three times/yr , trees annually.

Failure to observe such practices, or just blatant neglect often leads to unhealthy, potentially dangerous and downright ugly growth. In the story it would appear this is more of a superficial concern regarding appearance. However, properly maintained trees are typically more healthy and more attractive. I mean nobody likes a nanny state, but I don't want the world around me to be an eyesore either. I mean, who wants to see this--
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5Z9HsEGuD_0GBSEhql3pGRyAVRvP-7W8SWYrPcavKurEJDM9Smg

fj1200
05-30-2011, 06:56 AM
They're talking about crepe myrtles not 100 year old oak trees, wait until August and you won't even be able to tell where they were cut.

revelarts
05-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I am licensed landscape contractor and I'll let you in on a simple rule for proper tree/large bush pruning.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQORjcpkr6h88p9XQn3nifm65oXf7b_ cpfVgl9bMCNdb9IR-19

It's just that simple; though in extreme cases up to a third of branch length may be trimmed, but prudence should be observed along with experience. The frequency varies; bushes two to three times/yr , trees annually.

Failure to observe such practices, or just blatant neglect often leads to unhealthy, potentially dangerous and downright ugly growth. In the story it would appear this is more of a superficial concern regarding appearance. However, properly maintained trees are typically more healthy and more attractive. I mean nobody likes a nanny state, but I don't want the world around me to be an eyesore either. I mean, who wants to see this--
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5Z9HsEGuD_0GBSEhql3pGRyAVRvP-7W8SWYrPcavKurEJDM9Smg

I don't want to the my neighbors fined $4000 bucks or $30 for it AT all. if there is gov't CIVIC concern then have the City Tree inspector come over and SUGGEST that they do it another way next time and take there time and more to TEACH rather than Punish. and BACK the HECK OFF MY PROPERTY.
LOg my wife doesn't like My attitude on this either she's all for these community covenants and stuff. That stuff tries to raise my blood pressure but I won't allow it. It just raises my I eyebrow and volume a bit.

My questions are these.
Is it private property or is it Public Property or Community property?

Is anyone in physical or emotional danger from an ugly tree?

Sorry if ugly trees bother you but again if it's causes people that much of an issue then Approach the home owner with respect and suggest "the proper" changes. You may be thanked for the help or you may be told to leave. Either way YOU should have the same right when Others start groaning about your property.

SassyLady
06-01-2011, 03:44 AM
I trim my trees to the height that I don't want the limbs slapping me in the face when I mow under them (sitting on a riding mower). I also will cut the limbs back when they are no longer symmetrical or start growing into another tree's space.

I also have to cut some limbs off to keep the #$%@!%#$## woodpeckers from having a population explosion.

I have two acres of trees and over 50 trees ....oaks, English walnuts, eucalyptus, willow, camphor, acacia, black walnuts, cherry plums, redwoods, pines.....and I used to have a beautiful persimmon tree ... and the gophers and moles destroyed it.

There are many reasons I cut my trees ... but I have never, ever asked anyone's permission.

06-01-2011, 08:53 AM
why should it surprise you? People in power almost always missuse it in some improper way like this. It's human nature. That's what made General Washington so amazing.

SassyLady
06-02-2011, 03:57 AM
why should it surprise you? People in power almost always missuse it in some improper way like this. It's human nature. That's what made General Washington so amazing.

Evil flourishes where good men do nothing.

06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Evil flourishes where good men do nothing.

There needs to be good men before they can do something. And there are too many people apathetic and refusing to become good.

logroller
06-03-2011, 02:09 AM
I don't want to the my neighbors fined $4000 bucks or $30 for it AT all. if there is gov't CIVIC concern then have the City Tree inspector come over and SUGGEST that they do it another way next time and take there time and more to TEACH rather than Punish. and BACK the HECK OFF MY PROPERTY.
LOg my wife doesn't like My attitude on this either she's all for these community covenants and stuff. That stuff tries to raise my blood pressure but I won't allow it. It just raises my I eyebrow and volume a bit.

My questions are these.
Is it private property or is it Public Property or Community property?

Is anyone in physical or emotional danger from an ugly tree?

Sorry if ugly trees bother you but again if it's causes people that much of an issue then Approach the home owner with respect and suggest "the proper" changes. You may be thanked for the help or you may be told to leave. Either way YOU should have the same right when Others start groaning about your property.

This was a church, not a private residence. Furthermore, properties have deeds, and those deeds have conditions. If they passed some law after the deed was issued, then they got a case. Otherwise, buyer beware! You want to buy into a community, you play by the rules or change them. break 'em because you don't like'em--you're free to...leave.

Besides, how bad of job did this guy do that the city felt compelled to fine him? I know downtown where I'm from, any tree over 6 inches across the trunk, in plain view of a city street(not backyard)--requires a no-cost permit to prune. It's one of those things where as long as nobody catches you and you don't completely hack the tree--you're cool without; but really, its no cost; you call, they come out, ask who's going to trim it--and you're legit.
So far as your second ? What about the monetary damage if the hackjob looks so terrible that it lowers the value of adjacent properties? Isn't that a damage?

logroller
06-03-2011, 02:17 AM
I trim my trees to the height that I don't want the limbs slapping me in the face when I mow under them (sitting on a riding mower). I also will cut the limbs back when they are no longer symmetrical or start growing into another tree's space.

I also have to cut some limbs off to keep the #$%@!%#$## woodpeckers from having a population explosion.

I have two acres of trees and over 50 trees ....oaks, English walnuts, eucalyptus, willow, camphor, acacia, black walnuts, cherry plums, redwoods, pines.....and I used to have a beautiful persimmon tree ... and the gophers and moles destroyed it.

There are many reasons I cut my trees ... but I have never, ever asked anyone's permission.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Considering the expanse of acreage,and depending on your climate, you may have requirements to clear brush for fire reasons; failure to do so could result in someone doing it for you and you being forced to pay. Admittedly different for safety reasons vs aesthetics, but you even stated that it is for both your safe enjoyment and the health of the trees that you prune. I highly doubt anyone would critique you pruning methods, habits or skills; whereas someone did in the case stemming this thread.

SassyLady
06-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Considering the expanse of acreage,and depending on your climate, you may have requirements to clear brush for fire reasons; failure to do so could result in someone doing it for you and you being forced to pay. Admittedly different for safety reasons vs aesthetics, but you even stated that it is for both your safe enjoyment and the health of the trees that you prune. I highly doubt anyone would critique you pruning methods, habits or skills; whereas someone did in the case stemming this thread.

So far, in the last 20 years at least, my neighbors are what I would call "sane and reasonable" people. I even climb the fence and trim their trees that are growing in places that will cause long term damage to the fence or other trees. And, while I'm over there, if the weeds need to be cut we do that. Out here everyone knows that we are dependent on each other. I even knock on their doors when the creek is flooding so we can all walk upstream to fix the problem.

And, guess what????? We do this without any type of government intervention ... no regulations, permits, fines....we can actually work together without asking for a bureaucrat's input and sanction.

If a tree gets pruned a little too much ... we admonish each other and say ... "well, Leon, practice makes perfect. Better luck next time".

logroller
06-03-2011, 02:55 AM
So far, in the last 20 years at least, my neighbors are what I would call "sane and reasonable" people. I even climb the fence and trim their trees that are growing in places that will cause long term damage to the fence or other trees. And, while I'm over there, if the weeds need to be cut we do that. Out here everyone knows that we are dependent on each other. I even knock on their doors when the creek is flooding so we can all walk upstream to fix the problem.

And, guess what????? We do this without any type of government intervention ... no regulations, permits, fines....we can actually work together without asking for a bureaucrat's input and sanction.

If a tree gets pruned a little too much ... we admonish each other and say ... "well, Leon, practice makes perfect. Better luck next time".

Well that rocks. My parents have a similar understanding with their neighbors. Though when the neighbor trims the backside of my moms hedge he just leaves the branches in behind the bush to attract insects, but I know what you're saying-- Community starts at the neighborly level. I think what troubles most communities is insincerity. The privacy provided in rural communities favors, somewhat ironically, more intimate relationships. Suburbia will be the downfall of our society. Little boxes...ticky tacky.

SassyLady
06-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Well that rocks. My parents have a similar understanding with their neighbors. Though when the neighbor trims the backside of my moms hedge he just leaves the branches in behind the bush to attract insects, but I know what you're saying-- Community starts at the neighborly level. I think what troubles most communities is insincerity. The privacy provided in rural communities favors, somewhat ironically, more intimate relationships. Suburbia will be the downfall of our society. Little boxes...ticky tacky.

What I like about living out here is that no one day goes by without hearing gunshots....however, we know it's because someone is killing a varmit of some type....or just target shooting. When you hear this type of "noise" you know that your neighbors are willing to use their guns if needed. Moved here in 1993 and never locked the house (even while on vacation) until we installed ADT in 2010. And, the only reason I did that was because I am a rep through ACN....not because I didn't feel safe.

Dogs, guns and good neighbors...three essentials of living in the country.

logroller
06-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Dogs, guns and good neighbors...
three essentials of good living.

last edited by logroller

I'm thinking -- bumperstickers. Maybe a dp logo/link. How bout it Jim?

SassyLady
06-04-2011, 07:07 PM
last edited by logroller

I'm thinking -- bumperstickers. Maybe a dp logo/link. How bout it Jim?

Did I just miss my opportunity to make a million ... you know, I used to have a pet rock when I was a kid .. just never thought about breeding and selling them. :laugh::laugh:

I like the idea of having a bumper sticker made up of this....just remember, it was Sassy that first said it

Little-Acorn
06-04-2011, 08:31 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Talk about creating revenue for the city.

We keep turning more and more responsibility over to government, instead of handling it ourselves.

And we're surprised when more and more of those things get done badly or wrong?

Abbey Marie
06-04-2011, 09:04 PM

I suspect we have too many people for us all to be spread out in rural areas. Since you obviously feel disdain for the suburbs, where would you suggest everyone live?