PDA

View Full Version : I cant use a cell phone while driving, but cops can 'text'?

darin
05-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Don't text and drive, Officer(s).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f42_1306513781

Man Hit By Police Cruiser Gets $250K
The city of Austin will pay $250,000 to a man hit by an Austin Police Department car after the officer driving ran a stop sign.

The crash happened last July in North Austin off Lamplight Village Avenue. Officer Damon Dunn said he was distracted by his on-board computer when he ran the stop sign causing Louis Olivier to slam his motorcycle in the patrol car

fj1200
05-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Only 250k? :eek:

NightTrain
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
That's nothing.

All the cops up here have Laptops running on wireless networks that are mounted in their cars. I see cops all the time typing away on their laptops as they're driving 70 MPH down the highway in heavy traffic.

I imagine that they're running plates and that sort of thing, but I've watched them swerve back into their lanes repeatedly after wandering out... it's fucking dangerous. I'm a very good driver with millions of miles under my belt, both in a regular car and Kenworths, and I wouldn't even try to use a laptop while driving.

There is a law up here now that will be enforced the same as a DUI if they catch you texting on your phone while driving, yet they're surfing on a laptop.

It will take someone getting killed before that gets reigned in.

NightTrain
05-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Only 250k? :eek:

I can't believe he settled for 250k, he really let them off easy. 71 years old, too.

jon_forward
06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Police enforce the laws of the land. The more money it brings in the more it is looked for, drummed up, you get the picture. they want your car and all your money. FOLLOWING the law doesnt apply to them.