PDA

View Full Version : Senators Need to Know You Support Making English the Official Language

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Senators Need to Know You Support Making English the Official Language

Dedicated to protecting our nation's unity in the English language
Action Alert!

Sen. Inhofe introduces "S.I. Hayakawa Official English Act" (S. 1335)

Dear ProEnglish Supporter,

U.S. Senator James Inhofe has introduced a bill in the Senate to make English the official language of the U.S (S. 1335). The bill, officially known as the "S.I. Hayakawa Official English Language Act," would require the federal government to communicate officially in English, and thus provide a powerful incentive for immigrants to learn our common language and assimilate into the melting pot of America. Specifically, S. 1335 would:

Require the federal government to communicate officially in English, including all forms and publications.
Repeal the federal bilingual ballot mandate.
Reverse the Bush Administration's "multilingual mandate" known as Executive Order 13166, which currently requires all federal agencies and recipients of federal funds to provide translations and interpreters in virtually any language demanded (at taxpayer expense)!
The Office of Management and Budget recently estimated that the cost of implementing E.O. 13166 alone is $1-2 billion ANNUALLY.

Tell Congress to preserve our unity in the English language by making English the official language of the U.S. TODAY!

Sincerely,

Ben Piper

http://capwiz.com/proenglish/issues/alert/?alertid=9728171

Doniston
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree that it should be the "Official" language, but there is nothing wrong with having forms in other languages to make it possible for newcomers to get along in our world.

shattered
05-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree that it should be the "Official" language, but there is nothing wrong with having forms in other languages to make it possible for newcomers to get along in our world.

Or, said newcomers can just learn the language before they get here, no? IF you're going to be here legally, you have plenty of time before your arrival to get a head start on learning our language. If you're going to be here illegally, you're on your own. No help.

Birdzeye
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Senators Need to Know You Support Making English the Official Language

Dedicated to protecting our nation's unity in the English language
Action Alert!

Sen. Inhofe introduces "S.I. Hayakawa Official English Act" (S. 1335)

Dear ProEnglish Supporter,

U.S. Senator James Inhofe has introduced a bill in the Senate to make English the official language of the U.S (S. 1335). The bill, officially known as the "S.I. Hayakawa Official English Language Act," would require the federal government to communicate officially in English, and thus provide a powerful incentive for immigrants to learn our common language and assimilate into the melting pot of America. Specifically, S. 1335 would:

Require the federal government to communicate officially in English, including all forms and publications.
Repeal the federal bilingual ballot mandate.
Reverse the Bush Administration's "multilingual mandate" known as Executive Order 13166, which currently requires all federal agencies and recipients of federal funds to provide translations and interpreters in virtually any language demanded (at taxpayer expense)!
The Office of Management and Budget recently estimated that the cost of implementing E.O. 13166 alone is $1-2 billion ANNUALLY.

Tell Congress to preserve our unity in the English language by making English the official language of the U.S. TODAY!

Sincerely,

Ben Piper

http://capwiz.com/proenglish/issues/alert/?alertid=9728171

¿Por qué?
:coffee:

Hobbit
05-11-2007, 12:40 AM
¿Por qué?

It prevents undue catering to minorities. I don't have a problem with having material available for common languages, such as signs in about 12 languages in airports, but we speak English here, and if you're going to live here, you need to be able to function with that language, not have everyone else function in yours.

Pale Rider
05-11-2007, 05:20 AM

Possibly for assimilation, no other reason. No second language tests for anything. D.L., school, I.D., nothing. If you are a "legal" citizen, then you should know english. Period. This isn't mexico, or any other country. We speak, write and read english here. Learn it or leave.

Birdzeye
05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Este tópico es nada más que un montón de caca de toro.

shattered
05-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Then why the necessity to respond to it in something other than English?

Birdzeye
05-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Then why the necessity to respond to it in something other than English?

¿Por qué no?

typomaniac
05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
If someone whose native language is not English is accused of a federal crime, don't they have the right to an interpreter? I thought that's what the "multilingual mandate" had to do with...
:confused:

I'd support the other measures, though, if Inhofe weren't such a prick.

Doniston
05-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Or, said newcomers can just learn the language before they get here, no? IF you're going to be here legally, you have plenty of time before your arrival to get a head start on learning our language. If you're going to be here illegally, you're on your own. No help. quite a reasonable approach,---- "NOT"

Doniston
05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Possibly for assimilation, no other reason. No second language tests for anything. D.L., school, I.D., nothing. If you are a "legal" citizen, then you should know english. Period. This isn't mexico, or any other country. We speak, write and read english here. Learn it or leave.That was my point

shattered
05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
quite a reasonable approach,---- "NOT"

Rather than just throwing out a standard one-liner calling my approach unreasonable, why don't you post your own more reasonable approach, and tell everyone WHY people shouldn't have to learn the language prior to moving here?

manu1959
05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
english as the official language of america....outrageous........

Pale Rider
05-12-2007, 04:05 AM
¿Por qué?

Just a tip here bird, but I do believe it says in the rules that posts are supposed to be made in english. It is a no no to do otherwise, even as a joke.

Pale Rider
05-12-2007, 04:09 AM
english as the official language of america....outrageous........

Yeah... what a concept.

jimnyc
05-12-2007, 04:27 AM

I know you didn't mean any arm, but can you please use English from now on. Thanks!

05-12-2007, 04:55 AM

The real question here is: Why do you want immigrants to not learn english and assimilate? If they can't speak the language then they are by default second class citizens?

What the heck is wrong with expecting newcomers to learn the language and assimilate so they can receive the benefits society has to offer?

Birdzeye
05-12-2007, 08:41 AM
The real question here is: Why do you want immigrants to not learn english and assimilate? If they can't speak the language then they are by default second class citizens?

What the heck is wrong with expecting newcomers to learn the language and assimilate so they can receive the benefits society has to offer?

Heh. You just put words that I didn't say or mean into my mouth. Show me where I said I didn't want immigrants to learn English and assimilate. Go ahead, I dare you.

My Spanish language posts (Spanish happens to be my second language as the result of having lived in Latin America when I was a teen) were an exercise in facetiousness, poking fun at the thread. My last Spanish post said, "This topic is nothing more than a pile of bullshit."

Pale Rider
05-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Heh. You just put words that I didn't say or mean into my mouth. Show me where I said I didn't want immigrants to learn English and assimilate. Go ahead, I dare you.

My Spanish language posts (Spanish happens to be my second language as the result of having lived in Latin America when I was a teen) were an exercise in facetiousness, poking fun at the thread. My last Spanish post said, "This topic is nothing more than a pile of bullshit."

I know what it said. You don't think we can't copy and paste it into a translator?

But please, tell us all why it is you think this thread is a "pile of bullshit." Or are you just going to dump that turd in here just like the rest of you liberals do and say no more?

05-12-2007, 03:01 PM

You are actively arguing against laws requiring immigrants to learn english and assimilate. If you want them to learn english and assimilate you wouldnt be arguing against the laws.

05-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I know what it said. You don't think we can't copy and paste it into a translator?

But please, tell us all why it is you think this thread is a "pile of bullshit." Or are you just going to dump that turd in here just like the rest of you liberals do and say no more?

You needed a translator?

Birdzeye
05-12-2007, 07:15 PM

I think the entire issue is bogus, something designed to rile the farrightwingers. As a matter of reality, English is the language of the land; our laws are written in English; official documents, such as birth, death and marriage certificates are in English.

The bilinguality seems to come from private enterprise. I have to surmise that they consider it in their best business interests to be ready to communicate with their clients in their native languages.

I am the granddaughter of a Polish immigrant, and from what I've seen with my grandfather and with other immigrants to this country, the "asssimilation" really takes place only in the first generation born here or the small children brought over to this country.

IMO passing such a law would be a monumental waste of time, because nothing's really going to change by its passage.

Birdzeye
05-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Just a tip here bird, but I do believe it says in the rules that posts are supposed to be made in english. It is a no no to do otherwise, even as a joke.

:link:

I read the rules and saw no such rule. In deference to Jimny's request, however, I won't be polishing my rusty Spanish here.

Pale Rider
05-12-2007, 07:41 PM
:link:

I read the rules and saw no such rule. In deference to Jimny's request, however, I won't be polishing my rusty Spanish here.

It's a carry over from the old board, and it will be being added. I believe Jimmy told you that.

Pale Rider
05-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I think the entire issue is bogus, something designed to rile the farrightwingers. As a matter of reality, English is the language of the land; our laws are written in English; official documents, such as birth, death and marriage certificates are in English.

The bilinguality seems to come from private enterprise. I have to surmise that they consider it in their best business interests to be ready to communicate with their clients in their native languages.
Well then you really don't know much about it. It's not private enterprize that's footing the bill for a biligual America, it's the tax payers. The cost of printing alone is staggering. But the bigger point is, if you're here to be a citizen of this country, then you should be required to be able to read and write english. There is no other country in the world that will accomodate a foriegner such as America.

I am the granddaughter of a Polish immigrant, and from what I've seen with my grandfather and with other immigrants to this country, the "asssimilation" really takes place only in the first generation born here or the small children brought over to this country.

IMO passing such a law would be a monumental waste of time, because nothing's really going to change by its passage.
I totally disagree. There would no more teaching students in spanish. You either know english when attending a school in America, or you don't go. There would be no more tranlators, documents, signs, tests, on and on printed or handed out in spanish. It would be english. The savings to American taxpayers would be monumental.

Birdzeye
05-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Well then you really don't know much about it. It's not private enterprize that's footing the bill for a biligual America, it's the tax payers. The cost of printing alone is staggering. But the bigger point is, if you're here to be a citizen of this country, then you should be required to be able to read and write english. There is no other country in the world that will accomodate a foriegner such as America.

I totally disagree. There would no more teaching students in spanish. You either know english when attending a school in America, or you don't go. There would be no more tranlators, documents, signs, tests, on and on printed or handed out in spanish. It would be english. The savings to American taxpayers would be monumental.

Once again, :link:

At least in my area, teaching in a foreign language is limited to ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and the "total immersion" programs (where everything is taught in another language, a program that parents have to enroll their kids into, not something that's foisted on them) that seem to be quite popular with parents who appreciate the importance of being bilingual, a seemingly rare trait in Americans.