PDA

View Full Version : FACEBOOK turns on Facail rego for all your pics...Automatically

revelarts
06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
To better serve you.

"Facebook has rolled out its facial recognition technology to countries outside of the US, but has switched the feature on by default without telling its users first.

UK-based security expert Graham Cluely noted earlier today that Facebook had slotted the tech into the social network.

The Mark Zuckerberg-run company started using its facial recognition software in December last year for its Stateside users in a move to automatically provide tags for the photos uploaded by Facebook users.

The tech works by scanning newly uploaded pics and then identifies faces from previously tagged photos already stored in Zuckerberg's internet silo.

When the software was introduced in the US late last year, Facebook pointed out that users could disable the function.

"If for any reason you don't want your name to be suggested, you will be able to disable suggested tags in your Privacy Settings," the company wrote on its blog post last December.

But now that the tech has reached other shores, Facebook clearly didn't feel the need to alert its international stalkerbase that its facial recognition software had been switched on by default within the social network...."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/07/facebook_facial_recognition_on_by_default/

jimnyc
06-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Facial recognition software? Wouldn't you need something on the user end for this to work, like a camera? Do you know where this option is on their site? That's effed up if people with cameras are being spied on!

jimnyc
06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Facial recognition software? Wouldn't you need something on the user end for this to work, like a camera? Do you know where this option is on their site? That's effed up if people with cameras are being spied on!

Disregard, I read too fast and mistook what was being discussed. I thought it meant like "logging in" type of recognition!

I still dislike this option, although not quite as intrusive. They gotta stop doing crap and not telling the members.

SassyLady
06-09-2011, 01:14 AM
I think FB goes by the slogan

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"....they've already done what they wanted and it's "out there" and can't be recalled.....oooopsss isn't acceptable anymore. I've gotten to the point where I deactivate FB so frequently that FB notifying me when I deact and react are the bulk of my emails.