PDA

View Full Version : School stops playing National Anthem- too warlike.

Abbey Marie
06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I wonder what these people would do if they were attacked? Just let their children die?

GOSHEN, Ind. — A small northern Indiana college has decided to stop playing “The Star-Spangled Banner” at sporting events after starting to do so for the first time last year.

Goshen College's board of directors says it will find an alternative that honors the country and the Mennonite Church-affiliated school's pacifist traditions.

...Some were upset with the school's decision last year because the song's lyrics contain references to using war and military might to defend the country.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110607/NEWS02/306070057/1025/rsslink

Nukeman
06-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I wonder what these people would do if they were attacked? Just let their children die?

Actually Abbey that is pretty much what they would do.. Goshen college is about 30 minutes from where I live. Its a great little town with a LARGE Amish and Mennonite community. They are pacifist by their religious beliefs.. Goshen Never played the National Anthem until this year. They thought they would try it and have decided to not do it anymore.

Do I agree with their reason?? NO! Do I think they are misguided? YES! Do I respect their right to make that decision? YES! We have to remember that in a FREE society we take the odd and bad with the good!!

hortysir
06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I just gotta ask:
Do these pacifists play football or hockey?

Moving on;

Might I suggest "America the Beautiful"?
:salute:

Abbey Marie
06-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I guess it's easier to be a pacifist when you know deep down that our service men and women are there to protect you anyway.

Gaffer
06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Pacifist can only exist where they are protected by non-pacifist. Take that protection away and they cease to exist.

revelarts
06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Pacifist can only exist where they are protected by non-pacifist. Take that protection away and they cease to exist.

And if only killers could survive in the world then many pacifist would probably settle for death.

Ghandi is dead and MLKing is dead.
Many pacifist have been killed in various places because of their stand.
I can't in good conscious embrace that path myself but I truly respect those who've done so with conviction.
I honor the impact of their lives and example they have given the world.
May their tribe increase.

Violence is not the only way to protect or fight for the people, property and ideals we care for.

jimnyc
06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I was pissed until I read it was all Amish/Mennonite. I go yearly to Amish Country in Pennsylvania, and that's a weird bunch! I do have a lot of respect for them though. The Amish don't use electricity, no cars and pretty much don't interact with anyone but their own kind. They are like the muslims - where they still live in the stone age - only the Amish truly are people of peace. The Mennonites have electricity and cars, but they even paint the chrome bumpers a black color. They enjoy a little more "modern times" than the Amish but they won't be tacky or show off their possessions.

BUT...

They should both still be thankful to live in a nation where they are free to live in this manner. Horty had a good idea, let them play America the Beautiful if they are so against anything that even remotely describes war.

maineman
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I just gotta ask:

Moving on;

I agree... America the Beautiful is a great idea America (my country 'tis of thee) is another. God Bless America is yet another. There are songs that honor America that do not also offend the pacifist beliefs of some religions.

Little-Acorn
06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
America (my country 'tis of thee) is another.

The British in particular would love it if we adopted that. :lol:

DragonStryk72
06-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I just gotta ask:

Moving on;

Actually, they don't. Goes with the whole Amish/Mennonite philosophy, but America the Beautiful would likely work.

hortysir
06-09-2011, 08:15 PM
The British in particular would love it if we adopted that. :lol:
Maybe I knew it and just forgot, but I did notice that, during Obama's toast to the Queen (that he completely screwed up on BTW), their anthem sounded exactly the same.
:thumb: