PDA

View Full Version : Blair to step down as PM on June 27

CockySOB
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6639945.stm

Tony Blair has announced he will stand down as prime minister on 27 June.

He made the announcement in a speech to party activists in his Sedgefield constituency, after earlier briefing the Cabinet on his plans.

He acknowledged his government had not always lived up to high expectations but said he had been very lucky to lead "the greatest nation on earth".

He will stay on in Downing Street until the Labour Party elects a new leader - widely expected to be Gordon Brown.

In an emotional speech, Mr Blair said he had been prime minister for 10 years which was "long enough" for the country and himself.

He thanked the British people for their support and apologised for when "I have fallen short".

I found the article interesting insofar as Great Britain and Tony Blair have been the steadiest allies of the USA in the war on terrorism in the Middle East. I'm not up on his possible successors, but it will be something to watch, I think.

gabosaurus
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
At least Blair has finally come to realize that his nation no longer respects him and doesn't want him in power.
There are other Western leaders that are too ignorant to get the message.

Dilloduck
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
At least Blair has finally come to realize that his nation no longer respects him and doesn't want him in power.
There are other Western leaders that are too ignorant to get the message.

Would that be the President of Mexico ? :lol:

theHawk
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Would that be the President of Mexico ? :lol:

I was thinking more on the lines of Pelosi.

gabosaurus
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Pelosi is not president. At least not yet. :lol:

Dilloduck
05-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Pelosi is not president. At least not yet. :lol:

Someone needs to tell her that. :lame2: