PDA

View Full Version : Top Barack Obama donors net government jobs

red states rule
06-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Add this to Obama's list of "accomplishments"

I am sure Gabby and Virgil will have nothing to say about this

Telecom executive Donald H. Gips raised a big bundle of cash to help finance his friend Barack Obama’s run for the presidency.

Gips, a vice president of Colorado-based Level 3 Communications, delivered more than $500,000 in contributions for the Obama war chest, while two other company executives collected at least $150,000 more.

After the election, Gips was put in charge of hiring in the Obama White House, helping to place loyalists and fundraisers in many key positions. Then, in mid-2009, Obama named him ambassador to South Africa. Meanwhile, Level 3 Communications, in which Gips retained stock, received millions of dollars of government stimulus contracts for broadband projects in six states — though Gips said he had been “completely unaware” that the company had received the contracts.

More than two years after Obama took office vowing to banish “special interests” from his administration, nearly 200 of his biggest donors have landed plum government jobs and advisory posts, won federal contracts worth millions of dollars for their business interests or attended numerous elite White House meetings and social events, an investigation by iWatch News has found.

These “bundlers” raised at least $50,000 — and sometimes more than $500,000 — in campaign donations for Obama’s campaign. Many of those in the “Class of 2008” are now being asked to bundle contributions for Obama’s reelection, an effort that could cost $1 billion.

As a candidate, Obama spoke passionately about diminishing the clout of moneyed interests. Kicking off his presidential run on Feb. 10, 2007, he blasted “the cynics, the lobbyists, the special interests,” who had “turned our government into a game only they can afford to play.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56993.html#ixzz1PQhpjPsr

maineman
06-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Add this to Obama's list of "accomplishments"

I am sure Gabby and Virgil will have nothing to say about this

I am sure you are quite wrong.

Here's what I have to say about it:

No big deal. Bush did it... all presidents do it.

The only problem I have with donors getting government jobs is when they get those jobs when they are not qualified for them. e.g. "Heckuva Job" Brownie whose experience for running the Federal Emergency Management Agency was running a few horse shows.

When people WANT to serve the government, and they bring impressive skills with them, I am all for it.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
I am sure you are quite wrong.

Here's what I have to say about it:

No big deal. Bush did it... all presidents do it.

The only problem I have with donors getting government jobs is when they get those jobs when they are not qualified for them. e.g. "Heckuva Job" Brownie whose experience for running the Federal Emergency Management Agency was running a few horse shows.

When people WANT to serve the government, and they bring impressive skills with them, I am all for it.

Like Gabby, when confronted with Obama's accomplishments you fall back on Bush

So what if Dems and the liberal media sold Obama as the anti Bush guy? So what if we were told Obama would change how things are done in DC? So what if you hand over the bucks you get a nice government (taxpayer paid BTW) job?

Hell thats the Chicago way right Virgil?

Yea, nothing Obama does bothers you Virgil. After all he is a liberal Democrat so he gest a pass

maineman
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Like Gabby, when confronted with Obama's accomplishments you fall back on Bush

So what if Dems and the liberal media sold Obama as the anti Bush guy? So what if we were told Obama would change how things are done in DC? So what if you hand over the bucks you get a nice government (taxpayer paid BTW) job?

Hell thats the Chicago way right Virgil?

Yea, nothing Obama does bothers you Virgil. After all he is a liberal Democrat so he gest a pass

I am not falling back on Bush, herbie... EVERY President brings talented people into his administration and many of them had given to the campaigns. I only am bothered when the appointees are not qualified.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 06:25 PM
I am not falling back on Bush, herbie... EVERY President brings talented people into his administration and many of them had given to the campaigns. I only am bothered when the appointees are not qualified.

Your first post dismissed Obama selling jobs was Bush dd it

What happned to the "change" Obama was going to bring to DC Virgil?

Oh we can forget about that. That is what he said to get elected

maineman
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Your first post dismissed Obama selling jobs was Bush dd it

What happned to the "change" Obama was going to bring to DC?

Oh we can forget about that. That is what he said to get elected

I would never expect a president to change a system that has worked well for years and years. Every president appoints people to their administrations that had given to their campaigns. I applaud that. I especially applaud it when, unlike "Brownie", the appointees are talented and qualified, herb.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I would never expect a president to change a system that has worked well for years and years. Every president appoints people to their administrations that had given to their campaigns. I applaud that. I especially applaud it when, unlike "Brownie", the appointees are talented and qualified, herb.

So forget the change. We won so screw you

Got it Virgil

maineman
06-16-2011, 06:31 PM
So forget the change. We won so screw you

Got it Virgil

again... why would anyone want Obama to change a system that has brought talented private citizens into government for centuries, herbie?

sundaydriver
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
You would at least think that with all that is going on in the world that needs to be addressed, "bundeling" should not be the deciding factor for ambassadorships.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 06:34 PM
You would at least think that with all that is going on in the world that needs to be addressed, "bundeling" should not be the deciding factor for ambassadorships.

That is the Chicago way. If you got the cash Obama will ahve something for you in return

That is the CHANGE we were promised

maineman
06-16-2011, 06:35 PM

now...if you could show that it was THE DECIDING FACTOR, that would be real nice.

I'll wait.

sundaydriver
06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
now...if you could show that it was THE DECIDING FACTOR, that would be real nice.

I'll wait.

Unfortunatly it is a long running tradition. But when you say you are going to change that practice you should!

President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have promised to put more career diplomats into cherished ambassadorial jobs, but the group that represents the Foreign Service says it's not happening. In a new memo they're showing to friendly lawmakers, the American Foreign Service Association says Obama is rewarding donors and campaign "bundlers" just as past presidents did. "It's the same old, same old," says a diplomat. "Now is the time to end the spoils system and the de facto 'three-year-rental' of ambassadorships," says the group's memo. [See photos of Obama abroad.]

Despite promises to change how Washington works, Obama has actually perfected the game of giving political allies and donors key ambassadorships in countries like England, France, Japan, Spain, Finland, and Australia. And in the eyes of foreign service association, he’s become the worst abuser, putting political allies in 44 percent of the top 185 ambassadorial positions. By comparison, 30 percent of George W. Bush’s ambassadors were political appointees and 28 percent of Bill Clinton’s political allies and donors.

While foreign nations fill key ambassadorships with career diplomats, it’s long been part of America’s tradition of giving presidential donors and friends the overseas posts and hoping for the best.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 06:40 PM

I'll wait.

Ask Obama how much he sold it for

You would tell him he could have gotten much more

gabosaurus
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Obama is a politician. He is going to curry favor. He is going to sell off political posts and welcome large donors to the White House. This is nothing new.
You are grasping at straws today.

LuvRPgrl
06-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Obama is a politician. He is going to curry favor. He is going to sell off political posts and welcome large donors to the White House. This is nothing new.

But he PROMISED to change those things, not the same ol, same ol.

red states rule
06-17-2011, 02:40 AM

Like I asked Virgil Gabby, so what if Dems and the liberal media sold Obama as the anti Bush guy? So what if we were told Obama would change how things are done in DC? So what if you hand over the bucks you get a nice government (taxpayer paid BTW) job?

I know Gabby, he won so shut up

And we can't mention this during his re-election bid or we are spreading "hate"

maineman
06-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Unfortunatly it is a long running tradition. But when you say you are going to change that practice you should!

President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have promised to put more career diplomats into cherished ambassadorial jobs, but the group that represents the Foreign Service says it's not happening. In a new memo they're showing to friendly lawmakers, the American Foreign Service Association says Obama is rewarding donors and campaign "bundlers" just as past presidents did. "It's the same old, same old," says a diplomat. "Now is the time to end the spoils system and the de facto 'three-year-rental' of ambassadorships," says the group's memo. [See photos of Obama abroad.]

Despite promises to change how Washington works, Obama has actually perfected the game of giving political allies and donors key ambassadorships in countries like England, France, Japan, Spain, Finland, and Australia. And in the eyes of foreign service association, he’s become the worst abuser, putting political allies in 44 percent of the top 185 ambassadorial positions. By comparison, 30 percent of George W. Bush’s ambassadors were political appointees and 28 percent of Bill Clinton’s political allies and donors.

While foreign nations fill key ambassadorships with career diplomats, it’s long been part of America’s tradition of giving presidential donors and friends the overseas posts and hoping for the best.

Why would Obama want to change the practice of giving civil service positions to qualified and successful private citizens who not only shared his political philosophy., but also were willing to step away from lucrative private sector positions to serve their country? I don't recall Obama EVER saying he would stop that practice, and I would have been upset if he had.

NightTrain
06-17-2011, 09:47 AM

I take it you're not very Hopey / Changey?

red states rule
06-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I take it you're not very Hopey / Changey?

I have not seen Gabby this pissed off since Keith Olbermann was let go from MSNBC

red states rule
06-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Why would Obama want to change the practice of giving civil service positions to qualified and successful private citizens who not only shared his political philosophy., but also were willing to step away from lucrative private sector positions to serve their country? I don't recall Obama EVER saying he would stop that practice, and I would have been upset if he had.

Qualified people? Look around Virgil and tell me how Obama is improving the country

2 millions jobs lost since he took office

Gas prices DOUBLED since he took office

RECORD number of people on food stamps since he took office

5 Trillion added to the debt since he took office

Where the hell are the qualified people at and when will they get to work?

maineman
06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Qualified people? Look around Virgil and tell me how Obama is improving the country

2 millions jobs lost since he took office

Gas prices DOUBLED since he took office

RECORD number of people on food stamps since he took office

5 Trillion added to the debt since he took office

Where the hell are the qualified people at and when will they get to work?

why not tell me who is not qualified to fill the position they have. show me who in the Obama administration, for example, is leading the Federal Emergency Management Agency with a background in horse shows.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 12:41 PM
why not tell me who is not qualified to fill the position they have. show me who in the Obama administration, for example, is leading the Federal Emergency Management Agency with a background in horse shows.

The Maytag guy is back. Yea Virgil everything Obama has done has been perfect! The economy is humming along, spending is under control, the deficits are no longer a problem

And the wars are just about wrapped up

The "smart" people are running things and we don't have to worry about anything

Right?

fj1200
06-18-2011, 12:43 PM
why not tell me who is not qualified to fill the position they have. show me who in the Obama administration...

Should we start at the top?

maineman
06-18-2011, 01:53 PM
The Maytag guy is back. Yea Virgil everything Obama has done has been perfect! The economy is humming along, spending is under control, the deficits are no longer a problem

Right?

I never said anything of the sort. I merely asked you to name someone who was clearly not qualified for a position that you feel they received based PRIMARILY on the fact that they were campaign donors.

I put up Brown and FEMA as a clear example from the Bush administration. Why don't you make a good faith effort to do the same for the Obama administration?

red states rule
06-18-2011, 01:55 PM
I never said anything of the sort. I merely asked you to name someone who was clearly not qualified for a position that you feel they received based PRIMARILY on the fact that they were campaign donors.

I put up Brown and FEMA as a clear example from the Bush administration. Why don't you make a good faith effort to do the same for the Obama administration?

So the results of Obama's polices have NOTHING to do with the people implementing those policies?

Yes Virgil, in your world all is fine in Obamaville and Obama can sell off any job he wants for any price he can get to anyone who has the cash

Kathianne
06-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Eric Holder has been a freakin disaster for both the country and administration.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/10/30/the_obama_white_house_bundlers_paradise_98938.html

red states rule
06-18-2011, 02:01 PM
and hpw many of his ecoomic advisors have left in disgrace after screwing up the US economy?

Yes, all is well in America under the "leadership" of the Community Agitator in Virgil's opinion

maineman
06-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Right?

red states rule
06-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Looks like Virgil, Manfrommaine, retiredman, and moderate democrat is down to copying and pasting a single post as his universal response :laugh2:

Kathianne
06-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Even the WaPo acknowledges some serious problems, nearly a year ago:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/22/AR2010102203982.html?hpid=topnews

CNN too had a few comments about Holder:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/04/gitmo-tribunal-move-the-latest-in-a-long-line-of-obama-shifts/

red states rule
06-18-2011, 02:36 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/22/AR2010102203982.html?hpid=topnews

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/04/gitmo-tribunal-move-the-latest-in-a-long-line-of-obama-shifts/

Looks like Virgil, Manfrommaine, retiredman, and moderate democrat had to walk the dog :laugh2:

maineman
06-18-2011, 03:55 PM
So the results of Obama's polices have NOTHING to do with the people implementing those policies?

Yes Virgil, in your world all is fine in Obamaville and Obama can sell off any job he wants for any price he can get to anyone who has the cash

can you name a appointee in the Obama administration that got their job primarily because they were donors and who are not, otherwise, qualified for the job?

yes or no.

I won't bother waiting for you to answer my question because you haven't had the balls to answer any of my questions in well over five years.

yawn

Kathianne
06-18-2011, 03:59 PM

bumped for silence from MM, who requested actual appointees that suck.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 04:04 PM

Like you actually expect Virgil, maineman, manformmaine, retired man, and moderate democrat to give you a direct answer to a direct question?

Kathianne
06-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Like you actually expect Virgil, maineman, manformmaine, retired man, and moderate democrat to give you a direct answer to a direct question?

No, but I aim to answer and then highlight the non-answers.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 04:17 PM
No, but I aim to answer and then highlight the non-answers.

If we are lucky, maybe he is slowly going to go away, and put us out of our misery

maineman
06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
nothing in any of those links show any appointee who was unqualified for his or her position. sorry sweetheart.

maineman
06-18-2011, 04:59 PM

wow. from the guy who has never given a direct answer to ANY question I have EVER asked him.

unbelievable.

Kathianne
06-18-2011, 06:46 PM
nothing in any of those links show any appointee who was unqualified for his or her position. sorry sweetheart.

Bullshit. Under the best of circumstances you may have used in my opinion, but you didn't. You sir, asshole, are insignificant in any meaning of the qualified to judge.

red states rule
06-19-2011, 04:51 AM

Eh Virgil, maineman, manformmaine, retired man, and moderate democrat the results show a much different picture

I know being al iberal hack you do not care about the results of Obama's polcies - only the good intentions

But this put a smile on my face - but not as big a smile watching the ass whipping Jim put on you on the Weiner thread :laugh2:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/var/plain/storage/images/media/obama_index_graphics/june_2011/obama_approval_index_june_18_2011/485192-1-eng-US/obama_approval_index_june_18_2011.jpg

and now the gun running case is coming out in the open - much like the lie about your "service"

Holder is trying to save his ass by tossing someone else overboard

Moves toward the replacement of Kenneth Melson, acting ATF director since April 2009, could begin next week, although the precise sequence of events remains to be decided, these people said.

The shakeup shows the extent of the political damage caused by the gun-trafficking operation called Fast and Furious, which used tactics that allowed suspected smugglers to buy large numbers of firearms. Growing controversy over the program has paralyzed a long-beleaguered agency buffeted by partisan battles. The ATF has been without a Senate-confirmed director since 2006, with both the Bush and Obama administrations unable to overcome opposition from gun-rights groups to win approval of nominees.

In November, President Barack Obama nominated Andrew Traver, the head of the ATF's Chicago office, as permanent ATF director. The nomination stalled in the Senate after the National Rifle Association said Mr. Traver had a "demonstrated hostility" to the rights of gun owners.

Mr. Traver is set to travel to Washington on Tuesday to meet with Attorney General Eric Holder and Deputy Attorney General James Cole, the people said. The administration is weighing whether to name Mr. Traver as acting director or choose another interim chief while awaiting Senate action on his nomination, they said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304453304576392023631543738.html?m od=googlenews_wsj