PDA

View Full Version : Unredeemed U.S. Savings Bonds: Questions and Answers

Shadow
06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Found this article kind of interesting...mainly because for several years when my kids were little my mother in law would buy them bonds instead of gifts for b-days etc. I don't know where they ended up though...she has since passed away, and never ever gave my children the copies of these bonds. I always wondered if their was a way to check for this information. Just thought I would share...

The U.S. Treasury's Bureau of the Public Debt is holding 44.7 million matured, unredeemed savings bonds worth $16.3 billion -- and one of them could belong to your family. "Matured" means they have finished earning interest.

"Unredeemed" means the owners haven't cashed them in. When you consider that savings bonds take 20 to 40 years to mature, it's easy to see how people could forget about them.

The good news is that in 2000 the Treasury Department started its "Treasury Hunt" website, where you can search for savings bonds in your family's name.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/unredeemed-savings-bond-treasury-department-money-waiting/story?id=13842267