PDA

View Full Version : Are Men Better Drivers Than Women?

Shadow
06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
This report is kind of confusing...which leads me to conclude that the answer really is..."we don't know". I, however, think women are the better drivers.... just because men are impatient and tend to have a lead foot. Just the other day I was dodging a man on a motorcycle that was tailgating and weaving through traffic like a nitwit....what say you? :coffee:

Researchers who studied thousands of traffic accidents over a 20-year period came up with a finding that even they found surprising: Female drivers are far more likely to run into a car driven by another woman than a man.

The study is bound to add fuel to the debate over whether men are better drivers than women, but the researchers insist that was not their intent, and the study falls short of supporting that conclusion.

Snip...

In a nutshell, what that says is a woman is far more likely to crash into another woman than a man, but a man is less likely than expected to crash into another man.

What the research doesn't explain is why that should be the case. Sivak said in a telephone interview that the study clearly shows there is a gender interaction component in traffic accidents, but he doesn't know why female drivers are so "overrepresented" in accidents involving two women. The study begs for clarification, but he said it may not be possible to answer the question of why.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/battle-sexes-men-drivers-women-dyehard-science/story?id=13841063

NightTrain
06-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Well.... at the risk of directing SL, Kathi & Abbey's wrath at me... I will say while I have seen some great female drivers and some unbelievably bad male drivers, generally speaking the stereotype is accurate.

Every accident I've ever been in was a direct result of a female driver losing control of her rig and plowing into me, one of those times it was a head-on crash that damn near killed all of us up in Turnagain Pass.

I've pondered this phenomena over the years, usually after another woman took out another one of my trucks, and it seems to me that for the most part most women don't understand the basic mechanics of momentum versus friction - especially in low traction scenarios. I've seen the panic set in when they lose traction and watch them pound those brakes down and then the car really begins to do some wild and crazy shit with everyone else trying to get the hell away from them which will usually add to the chaos.

I don't even know how many vehicles I bought my ex wife, due to her running into buildings, trees, fences, cars, dumpsters, carport supports, garages, untold parked vehicles, countless snowbanks, bridges, drive through overheads with the camper on my truck, dogs, cats, birds, moose and almost nailed a bear once.

On the other hand, I rode with the worst male driver in the world who is 50 and a co-worker of mine a few months ago on sheer ice driving to Anchorage. He would rip the steering wheel back and forth when nice easy corrections would have been the sane thing to do, with the result of keeping that big Chevy in a state of rear wheel skid for 40 miles. I gained a few grey hairs that day and I won't ever ride with the silly bastard again. How he is still alive is beyond me.

Gunny
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
This report is kind of confusing...which leads me to conclude that the answer really is..."we don't know". I, however, think women are the better drivers.... just because men are impatient and tend to have a lead foot. Just the other day I was dodging a man on a motorcycle that was tailgating and weaving through traffic like a nitwit....what say you? :coffee:

Researchers who studied thousands of traffic accidents over a 20-year period came up with a finding that even they found surprising: Female drivers are far more likely to run into a car driven by another woman than a man.

The study is bound to add fuel to the debate over whether men are better drivers than women, but the researchers insist that was not their intent, and the study falls short of supporting that conclusion.

Snip...

In a nutshell, what that says is a woman is far more likely to crash into another woman than a man, but a man is less likely than expected to crash into another man.

What the research doesn't explain is why that should be the case. Sivak said in a telephone interview that the study clearly shows there is a gender interaction component in traffic accidents, but he doesn't know why female drivers are so "overrepresented" in accidents involving two women. The study begs for clarification, but he said it may not be possible to answer the question of why.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/battle-sexes-men-drivers-women-dyehard-science/story?id=13841063

I would tend to disagree. Men aren't putting on makeup, talking on the cell phone, AND trying to drive at the same time. Most men are trying to drive. Period.

We're impatient because there's always some woman putting on her makeup, talking on her cell, and not paying attention to anyone or thing around them, including the speed limit, in front of us doing 50 in a 70mph freeway.

darin
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
to answer this we'd have to agree on what skills make a driver 'good'.

My view differs from yours, and yours from another.

My view:
Good drivers practice the following:
They move back to the right after completing their pass, while on 2-way, multiple lane roads.
Good drivers don't start slowing down until they are in the 'deceleration' lane, or into the turn lane (as much as practical).
Good drivers do not break through corners
Good drivers can correct over-steer (or terminal understeer) without panic setting in.
Good drivers buy winter/snow tires for the winter season.
Good drivers practice strategic driving, as opposed to purely defensive driving.
Good drivers know 'bad decisions' kill, regardless of speed.
Good drivers can drive as fast as conditions allow-for, and adjust accordingly.

Bad drivers practice the following:
Left-lane camping (Should be a criminal offense).
Incessant braking (vs just lifting off the go-pedal).
Believe 'speed kills'
Bad drivers sit at red lights waiting to turn right even without 'no-turn-on-red' regulations.
Bad drivers flash their headlights' high beams, when they are passed for driving 'exactly' the speed limit.
Bad drivers pull out in front of the last car in a line of traffic (vs. letting that guy pass before pulling out, and making him slow down)
Bad drivers are scared of Wide Open Throttle.
Bad drivers don't care how their actions impact others around them, as long as they aren't speeding.
Bad drivers can't handle tailgaters (get mad, stomp their brakes, etc).

The result of bad driving? We don't teach, as a society, our kids how to make good choices. Like liberals who feel we can educate our kids out of making bad choices. Said another way, they consider somebody who is 'educated' (read: passed the class) as somebody capable of excellent decision-making.

Good drivers, men or women, tend to follow the things I placed up there. Chances are, you are not a good driver. Most people are not good drivers. Most people are adequate. Good drivers control their car, even weaving through traffic to get around adequate or terrible drivers, under most-every circumstance.

If somebody is weaving their way past you, you might want to consider moving your ass over to the right - which would preclude the likely better-driver from having to weave. :)

gabosaurus
06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Well.... at the risk of directing SL, Kathi & Abbey's wrath at me... I will say while I have seen some great female drivers and some unbelievably bad male drivers, generally speaking the stereotype is accurate.

As a woman, I have to say that the stereotype is accurate. Women have a tendency to get preoccupied when they drive. They also get worse as they get older. Anyone who disagrees needs to ride with my mother-in-law.

J.T
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM

darin
06-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks for your insights.

:P

red states rule
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
When I was in HS and I was looking for a used car to buy I would always inspect it to make sure there no dents or scratchs.

If there were not any to be found I knew a women did not drive it :laugh2:

sundaydriver
06-16-2011, 06:29 PM
The women drivers in my area do not use turn signals due to the left hand holding the phone makes it too inconvient.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 06:32 PM
The women drivers in my area do not use turn signals due to the left hand holding the phone makes it too inconvient.

When you are behind a women driver and she sticks her hand out the window, the only thing you know for sure is that the window is down :laugh2:

sundaydriver
06-16-2011, 06:35 PM
When I lived in Miami no one used turn signals. But you knew that because that's where people hung their sweatbands to dry.

red states rule
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
My next door neighbors wife had a nasty accident with the car one morning. She backed it out of the garage, completely forgetting that the night before, she had backed it in.

Shadow
06-16-2011, 07:17 PM
I would tend to disagree. Men aren't putting on makeup, talking on the cell phone, AND trying to drive at the same time. Most men are trying to drive. Period.

We're impatient because there's always some woman putting on her makeup, talking on her cell, and not paying attention to anyone or thing around them, including the speed limit, in front of us doing 50 in a 70mph freeway.

Pfffttt...no... men just talk on their cell...play with their palm pilot...shave...eat hamburgers and all while driving with their knees so their hands are free. :coffee:

I will agree though...women who drive and groom themselves at the same time are annoying.

Shadow
06-16-2011, 07:25 PM

My view:
They move back to the right after completing their pass, while on 2-way, multiple lane roads.
Good drivers don't start slowing down until they are in the 'deceleration' lane, or into the turn lane (as much as practical).
Good drivers can correct over-steer (or terminal understeer) without panic setting in.
Good drivers practice strategic driving, as opposed to purely defensive driving.

Believe 'speed kills'
Bad drivers sit at red lights waiting to turn right even without 'no-turn-on-red' regulations.
Bad drivers flash their headlights' high beams, when they are passed for driving 'exactly' the speed limit.
Bad drivers pull out in front of the last car in a line of traffic (vs. letting that guy pass before pulling out, and making him slow down)
Bad drivers don't care how their actions impact others around them, as long as they aren't speeding.

The result of bad driving? We don't teach, as a society, our kids how to make good choices. Like liberals who feel we can educate our kids out of making bad choices. Said another way, they consider somebody who is 'educated' (read: passed the class) as somebody capable of excellent decision-making.

Good drivers, men or women, tend to follow the things I placed up there. Chances are, you are not a good driver. Most people are not good drivers. Most people are adequate. Good drivers control their car, even weaving through traffic to get around adequate or terrible drivers, under most-every circumstance.

If somebody is weaving their way past you, you might want to consider moving your ass over to the right - which would preclude the likely better-driver from having to weave. :)

I'm a very good driver. Never had a ticket or been in an accident in my life. Plus, I obey all the traffic rules too. Just ask Dilloduck. :laugh:

I do need to work on my road rage issues though.:happy0203:

darin
06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm a very good driver. Never had a ticket or been in an accident in my life. Plus, I obey all the traffic rules too. Just ask Dilloduck. :laugh:

that doesn't mean you're GOOD...just means you follow the rules!

:D

Abbey Marie
06-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I've been driving a LONG time, and have never had nor caused an accident. Whereas, my husband has been in several. I believe I am an excellent defensive driver. He is not. Our trips to Maine are a nightmare.

Anecdotal, yes.

I'm just sayin'.

:dance:

Shadow
06-16-2011, 10:55 PM
that doesn't mean you're GOOD...just means you follow the rules!

:D

Picky picky...

So how do you rate on a scale from 1 to 10?

red states rule
06-17-2011, 03:25 AM
My girlfriend and I bumped into some old friend the other day

She was driving

darin
06-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Picky picky...

So how do you rate on a scale from 1 to 10?

I've been known to put good driving techniques to use.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2188&d=1308300696

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2189&d=1308300697

Based on my list of what makes a driver good? I do just about all those things, except when I get neglectful, because I'm NOT TheStig - just a guy who pays attention when behind the wheel.

NightTrain
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM

I couldn't have said it any better! :clap:

gabosaurus
06-17-2011, 07:08 PM

She was driving

If I had to drive around with you, I would likely behave like a nutcase as well. :p

>>> I admit to not being a great driver. Which is why I let my husband drive.

NightTrain
06-17-2011, 07:34 PM
If I had to drive around with you, I would likely behave like a nutcase as well. :p

You'd better believe that I'd try to off myself if I were trapped with you.

You've already told us that he's a conservative married to you, the slightly-less-smarter and lots-less-sexier version of Al Gore.

You think that his "accidents" were accidents?

I think if we take a poll, the poor bastard was trying to get away!

red states rule
06-18-2011, 02:17 AM

Gabby if you were with me you would not be the snippy, spitful, short tempered, liberal moonbat you are

You would be much calmer, more cheerful, and not so condescending

As I have said my girlfrind is a liberal on many iossues, and many of her friends are as well

One friend is a shrink. You know the ones who are to help people be more tolerant. Deal with anger. Assist those who have trouble dealing with others

Well one day she screamed "How can you be with a "conservative?"

My girlfriend replied "He is a good man. He treats me well. And I love him,"

The shrink had nothing more to say

Think about it Gabby

red states rule
06-18-2011, 02:19 AM
You'd better believe that I'd try to off myself if I were trapped with you.

You've already told us that he's a conservative married to you, the slightly-less-smarter and lots-less-sexier version of Al Gore.

You think that his "accidents" were accidents?

I think if we take a poll, the poor bastard was trying to get away!

Gabby is not all that bad

I am sure she gives great headaches :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-19-2011, 12:30 AM
My girlfriend replied "He is a good man. He treats me well. And I love him,"
Think about it Gabby

I think you are a bit brain damaged. And a bit deranged. But at least you found someone who tolerates you.

red states rule
06-19-2011, 04:13 AM
I think you are a bit brain damaged. And a bit deranged. But at least you found someone who tolerates you.

and like her liberal friend who also "helps" people you show your liberal tolerance once again

Amazing how your job to help people deal with anger problems Gabby. You are in such a snit now I really feel sorry for the people who have be around you after the November 2012 election

BTW, have you become bored with another one of YOUR threads? :laugh2:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?31537-Questions-for-RSR

Shadow
06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Okay this article is related. And... I guess I can be considered an annoying driver (even though I am still a good one). I admit it, I don't always clean all the snow off my car in the winter or turn off my blinkers after changing lanes right away sometimes. ;)

Top 10 Most Annoying Things Other Drivers Do

It's a known fact that everyone reading this is an above-average driver — and that each of us always displays deep and abiding civility toward our fellow travelers. So we're sure you won't recognize yourself in any of the items listed below.

But what about all those other jerks on the road?

What things do other drivers do that annoy you most? Here's our list, with an invitation to share your pet peeves below.

Yours in Pounding the Steering Wheel,

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/top-10-most-annoying-things-other-drivers-do.html

Abbey Marie
06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Okay this article is related. And... I guess I can be considered an annoying driver (even though I am still a good one). I admit it, I don't always clean all the snow off my car in the winter or turn off my blinkers after changing lanes right away sometimes. ;)

Top 10 Most Annoying Things Other Drivers Do

It's a known fact that everyone reading this is an above-average driver — and that each of us always displays deep and abiding civility toward our fellow travelers. So we're sure you won't recognize yourself in any of the items listed below.

But what about all those other jerks on the road?

What things do other drivers do that annoy you most? Here's our list, with an invitation to share your pet peeves below.

Yours in Pounding the Steering Wheel,

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/top-10-most-annoying-things-other-drivers-do.html

Honestly, the only one of these things I ever do, and just a small part
of it, is #9. I have certainly never given anyone the finger, though I do mutter a few surprisingly awful things in the car.

Now, if one of them had been speeding... guilty.

Shadow
07-25-2011, 01:43 PM

She was driving

Ha ha...reminds me of a joke...

A Man Explaining Why He Lost An Important Client...

Driving to the office this morning on the Interstate, I looked over to my left and there was a woman in a brand new Mustang doing 65 miles per hour with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner!

I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup!!! It scared me so bad, I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand.

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned Big Jim and the Twins, ruined the damn phone and DISCONNECTED AN IMPORTANT CALL!

WOMEN DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dilloduck
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Bullshit--you fly over shit like Evil Knevil.

Shadow
07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Bullshit--you fly over shit like Evil Knevil.

You make it sound so ungraceful. You got home in one piece didn't you. :laugh:

Little-Acorn
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
When you are behind a women driver and she sticks her hand out the window, the only thing you know for sure is that the window is down :laugh2:

Women are the ones who, when not putting on makeup or talking on their cellphone, poke along at 20mph under the speed limit congratulating themselves for being such "careful" drivers, unaware of the cars stacking up for miles behind them. They never get in wrecks while doing this, obviously.

Men are the ones who take silly chances to get around them, and eventually wreck while trying.

How's that? :cool:

(BTW, what percentage of male drivers drive drunk, and what percentage of female drivers drive drunk?)

Dilloduck
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
You make it sound so ungraceful. You got home in one piece didn't you. :laugh:

you'll be hearing from my lawyer

Shadow
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
you'll be hearing from my lawyer

Why? Does he need a ride?

SassyLady
07-26-2011, 12:38 AM

Every accident I've ever been in was a direct result of a female driver losing control of her rig and plowing into me, one of those times it was a head-on crash that damn near killed all of us up in Turnagain Pass.

I've pondered this phenomena over the years, usually after another woman took out another one of my trucks, and it seems to me that for the most part most women don't understand the basic mechanics of momentum versus friction - especially in low traction scenarios. I've seen the panic set in when they lose traction and watch them pound those brakes down and then the car really begins to do some wild and crazy shit with everyone else trying to get the hell away from them which will usually add to the chaos.

I don't even know how many vehicles I bought my ex wife, due to her running into buildings, trees, fences, cars, dumpsters, carport supports, garages, untold parked vehicles, countless snowbanks, bridges, drive through overheads with the camper on my truck, dogs, cats, birds, moose and almost nailed a bear once.

On the other hand, I rode with the worst male driver in the world who is 50 and a co-worker of mine a few months ago on sheer ice driving to Anchorage. He would rip the steering wheel back and forth when nice easy corrections would have been the sane thing to do, with the result of keeping that big Chevy in a state of rear wheel skid for 40 miles. I gained a few grey hairs that day and I won't ever ride with the silly bastard again. How he is still alive is beyond me.

Well you, Mr. Cuteness, probably will never bring down my wrath ... I might disagree with you vigorously, but it would be worth it for the make-up conversations and whatnot.

Now, to the subject. I might not know the physics/mechanics side of what happens when there is a situation that might lead to a crash situation ... and a lot of that is because I don't put myself in situations where I have to rely on that knowledge. Although I drive aggressively, I'm more in tune to what is the smoothest avenue ... which means I don't get too close because then I have to use my brakes more often.

As for all the accidents you've been in sweetheart .... could it be because you are awesome to look at and the women couldn't drag their eyes away and were totally mesmerized and lost all focus....resulting in a crash .... "oh hey, now I can get the address and phone number of this hunk!!"" ... this would be my guess as to why all those crashes were women!! :coffee:

BTW ... 60 years old and the only accident I've been in was when someone ran a red light and broadsided me (when I was 22).....on the other hand, in the 20 years I've know my ex he's had over five fender-benders....and this doesn't count the ones he had before I knew him.

My view:

Believe 'speed kills'

I am a good driver...and believe as you do....however, I do camp out in the left lane ... because I'm usually going faster than anyone else...so I want to point out another aspect of a good driver.

A good driver is watching their rearview mirrors as much as their windshield because driving isn't just about who you are passing ... it's about who is behind you just as much as who is in front of you.

As a woman, I have to say that the stereotype is accurate. Women have a tendency to get preoccupied when they drive. They also get worse as they get older. Anyone who disagrees needs to ride with my mother-in-law.

I disagree. The younger ones have a belief they are indestructible and drive accordingly. I would say that most of the accidents caused by younger people are from distractions ... phones, music, passengers not behaving, etc., whereas, older people probably have more accidents due to physical limitations.

Gunny
07-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Pfffttt...no... men just talk on their cell...play with their palm pilot...shave...eat hamburgers and all while driving with their knees so their hands are free. :coffee:

I will agree though...women who drive and groom themselves at the same time are annoying.

Well, you asked. Not sure what's hard about eating a burger and driving. If you can't find your mouth with your hand without looking, I'd say you have more issues than a lack of driving skills.

Not sure where you're from, but it's against the law in SA talk on your cell and drive unless you have a hands-free device. While I am sure men do it anyway, it's been my observation the vast majority are women, and usually young ones.

Never tried the shaving thing, nor seen it for that matter, and the only person I know with a palm pilot is female.

For myself, I am usually trying to get from point A to point B in as timely a fashion as possible and tend to pay attention to what I'm doing.