PDA

View Full Version : Al-Zawahri succeeds bin Laden as al-Qaida leader

Gunny
06-16-2011, 08:54 AM
AP

CAIRO – Osama bin Laden's longtime deputy Ayman al-Zawahri has taken control of al-Qaida, the group said Thursday, a widely anticipated move that comes at a time the terror network is struggling for relevance amid a wave of Arab uprisings that has threatened to upstage it.

http://news.yahoo.com

What a shock, huh? More of the same. Those on the left railing at Bush because "he" didn't capture/kill bin Laden, then claiming "Obama caught and killed him" must be shocked to know it's business as usual without OBL.

NightTrain
06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
It won't be long before he eats a Predator missile.

Pretty risky business to head that organization.

Gunny
06-16-2011, 09:44 AM
It won't be long before he eats a Predator missile.

Pretty risky business to head that organization.

I hope you aren't using his predecessor's tenure in office as an example. It took at least 15 years to get OBL.

Doesn't matter. There's another clown to replace this one when he gets his.

NightTrain
06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I hope you aren't using his predecessor's tenure in office as an example. It took at least 15 years to get OBL.

Doesn't matter. There's another clown to replace this one when he gets his.

Well.... 10 years, anyway.

Yeah, it was entirely too long to kill OBL, though. I was positive he'd be caught within a year once the hunt started.

I imagine this will be handled the same way it was back in WWII when we'd cracked the Japanese codes & got intel that Yamamoto was flying on an inspection.

There was fear that we'd tip our hand by intercepting with fighters, but ultimately the question was asked : Can Yamamoto be replaced with someone as good or better? The answer was no, so we shot him down and killed him and as a bonus, the Japs didn't figure out that we had cracked their code.

I suppose the question will be asked now if Al-Zawahri can be replaced by a more talented leader if we were to take him out once we find his address.

Gunny
06-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Well.... 10 years, anyway.

Yeah, it was entirely too long to kill OBL, though. I was positive he'd be caught within a year once the hunt started.

I imagine this will be handled the same way it was back in WWII when we'd cracked the Japanese codes & got intel that Yamamoto was flying on an inspection.

There was fear that we'd tip our hand by intercepting with fighters, but ultimately the question was asked : Can Yamamoto be replaced with someone as good or better? The answer was no, so we shot him down and killed him and as a bonus, the Japs didn't figure out that we had cracked their code.

I suppose the question will be asked now if Al-Zawahri can be replaced by a more talented leader if we were to take him out once we find his address.

While capturing/killing OBL was definitely one course of action, the only way to REALLY kill off al Qaeda's leadership is to take away their audience.

As long as they have these kids brainwashed into jihad and dying for Allah, they have an audience. Yet schools that teach radical, fundamental Islam are ignored by the Arab/Persian governments, not realizing that if we DO leave, they are next.

revelarts
06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Sooo we went after Osama becuase he attacked the WTCs and the Pentagon. Makes sense.
What are we going after this new guy for... exactly?

I just want to be clear here?

Gaffer
06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Sooo we went after Osama becuase he attacked the WTCs and the Pentagon. Makes sense.

He helped.

He is one of the major planners in al queada and is responsible for many other attacks and bombings.

maineman
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
http://news.yahoo.com

What a shock, huh? More of the same. Those on the left railing at Bush because "he" didn't capture/kill bin Laden, then claiming "Obama caught and killed him" must be shocked to know it's business as usual without OBL.

from your link:

"the terror network is struggling for relevance amid a wave of Arab uprisings that has threatened to upstage it."

that certainly is not what I would call, "business as usual".

J.T
06-16-2011, 04:39 PM
AQ is winning.

Every bomb we drop, they celebrate their victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXphFgYryE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PjtXkSbew

NightTrain
06-16-2011, 05:14 PM
While capturing/killing OBL was definitely one course of action, the only way to REALLY kill off al Qaeda's leadership is to take away their audience.

As long as they have these kids brainwashed into jihad and dying for Allah, they have an audience. Yet schools that teach radical, fundamental Islam are ignored by the Arab/Persian governments, not realizing that if we DO leave, they are next.

True enough.

from your link:

"the terror network is struggling for relevance amid a wave of Arab uprisings that has threatened to upstage it."

I suppose that you recommend putting our collective heads in the sand again, yeah?

J.T
06-16-2011, 09:59 PM
It's not the religion, Gunny.

Get rid of Islam and it'll be old-school nationalism, tribalism, or simple political factionalism.

You have to address the root social, economic, and political problems that make these folk susceptible to radicalization and recruitment into extremist movements and groups.

Gaffer
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Get rid of Islam and it'll be old-school nationalism, tribalism, or simple political factionalism.

You have to address the root social, economic, and political problems that make these folk susceptible to radicalization and recruitment into extremist movements and groups.

It's the religion that fuels it all. islam is not a religion, it's a political ideology. It's designed as a system of rule.

Thunderknuckles
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Note to Al Qaeda:
Once we take out Al-Zawahri, don't be stupid enough to announce who your next leader is like Hamas did.

J.T
06-17-2011, 06:43 PM
It's the religion that fuels it all. islam is not a religion, it's a political ideology. It's designed as a system of rule.

You just described organized religion of all flavours.

Islam is just another Jewish sect

J.T
06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Note to Al Qaeda:
Once we take out Al-Zawahri, don't be stupid enough to announce who your next leader is like Hamas did.
Why do you think they named him?

They've been trying to get rid of that asshole for years :thumb:

Gaffer
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
You just described organized religion of all flavours.

Islam is just another Jewish sect

islam is a combination of Jewish, Christian, Hindu and arab pagan beliefs. allah was actually the arab moon god. mohammad created islam for the purpose of conquest and empire and nothing more. He created it as he went along which is why there are so many discrepancies in the koran and hadaith. His first defeat was handed to him at the hands of Jews. He never forgot or forgave them for that. He created islam as a means of ruling and it's still used today. It's a political ideology and not a true religion. No other major religion calls for conquest and subjugation.

for all the other major religions you need a small brush. For islam you need an 18" roller.

Gunny
06-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Being the head of a known international terrorist organization?

Gunny
06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
from your link:

I posted a link, but it's not mine, thanks.

If you cover both your eyes with your hands, you won't see anything.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Target practice?

He is the enemy so I hope a 500 pd Daisy Cutter falls on his turban soon

Gunny
06-18-2011, 05:59 AM
True enough.

I suppose that you recommend putting our collective heads in the sand again, yeah?

He does.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 06:00 AM
True enough.

Virgil's plan to defeat terrorism

http://www.thelibertyvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/see-no-evil.jpg

Gunny
06-18-2011, 06:02 AM

By definition, it's religion.

I think I already addressed the socio-economic issue without expounding. But then, who the f- are we to preach socio-economics to ANYONE when we can't even keep our own f-ing roost clean?

How's that "shovel-ready" job working for YOU, J?

DragonStryk72
06-18-2011, 11:55 AM

This is still continuance from his part in the planning of 9/11, as he was a member of AQ back then. This is one of the few times we've gotten a direct causal link, so yeah, going after him should be on the agenda.

Problem for them is, OBL was really the mad genius of them. With their new leadership in place, I doubt they're going to be able to pull of the sort of things that OBL was pulling.

Kathianne
06-21-2011, 12:40 AM
JT's rantings on Jews and religion, along with responses to said rantings, have been moved to the cage.