PDA

View Full Version : What happens to your body after you drink a soda every day, for a long time

Shadow
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Probably something everyone already knows...but sodas are not so easy to give up for some. I know that after drinking lots of sodas I find it hard to remove them from my routine, not just because of the headaches I get from lack of caffeine....but because I crave them. Guess I sould bite the bullet anyway and drink other beverages instead...like water. *sigh*.

Sugar rushes and caffeine highs followed by a depressing energy crash are what happens to your body if you drink a soda right now, but plenty of Blisstree readers actually seem to be okay with that. Some of you think it’s alarmist to compare a caffeine and sugar rush to doing drugs, and some just don’t really care about the slump they’ll find themselves in after drinking 39 grams of sugar, but what makes us really worried about a soda-slurping habit is what happens over the long term.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/what-happens-to-your-body-after-you-drink-a-soda-every-day-for-a-long-time-2494154/

revelarts
06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I gave up sodas years ago and from my experience. it's not the caffeine withdrawal that gets you it is the sugar withdrawal.

I went to water but i didn't give up to many cakes, cookie, snacks or change my "healthy" full of sugar cereal breakfast. Or give up ice cream and shakes for deserts.

When I decided to go cold turkey with that is when I realized that it was the sugar. It was VERY difficult. I manged to cut out nearly all of it to the point where when i do a have a taste, the sweetness of soda or yogurt and some fruit drinks is more than i can take.

I'm not a strict no extra sugar person. but once several years ago I tried to cut out all extra sugar from my diet. It was very difficult. not just discipline wise but finding food that doesn't have sugar. I managed to do it pretty well for a month or 2. and about 6weeks in i had a very strange experience. I was walking into the grocery store And I was STRUCK by the smell of sugar. Literally smacked, I stop dead in my tracks. the whole store reeked of sugar. nothing had changed in the store just my sensitivity to the odor once I'd sorta cleared himself for a while.

Sugar is necessary but our typical diets are WAY overloaded with sugar.

Shadow
06-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I have tried to give up sodas once before and did a pretty good job of it. I do remember getting headaches from the withdrawls though.

I don't really eat many sweets,but then other then the obvious sweet items (cookies,cake etc)...I don't really keep track of a lot of foods that I eat that may contain it either. I think my main problem is the carbs (love the bread,chips,pasta etc).

I guess I never really thought about sugar being an addiction...makes sense though. After being off of sodas for awhile,and buying a liter...I could sit and drink the whole thing all by myself (in a single sitting)...and it usually tasted SO GOOD too.

revelarts
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I have tried to give up sodas once before and did a pretty good job of it. I do remember getting headaches from the withdrawls though.

I don't really eat many sweets,but then other then the obvious sweet items (cookies,cake etc)...I don't really keep track of a lot of foods that I eat that may contain it either. I think my main problem is the carbs (love the bread,chips,pasta etc).

I guess I never really thought about sugar being an addiction...makes sense though. After being off of sodas for awhile,and buying a liter...I could sit and drink the whole thing all by myself (in a single sitting)...and it usually tasted SO GOOD too.

Search sugar addiction and you'll find plenty.

Many Carbs turn into sugars too same problem.

but when trying to go sugar free i discovered I was better off staying away from sugar substitutes. All of them are worst than sugar.
did you know that one pilots group warns pilots not to drink sodas with aspartame (nutra sweet - equal) because it can cause vision problems, blackouts and seizers as well as long term damage?
It's a known neurotoxin and should never have been allowed on the market.

Shadow
06-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Great...I am in big trouble then because I usually only drink diet soda. And I looked it up.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye
blindness in one or both eyes
decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
pain in one or both eyes
decreased tears
trouble with contact lenses
bulging eyes

Ear
tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
severe intolerance of noise
marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
epileptic seizures
headaches, migraines and (some severe)
dizziness, unsteadiness, both
confusion, memory loss, both
severe drowsiness and sleepiness
paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
severe slurring of speech
severe hyperactivity and restless legs
atypical facial pain
severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
severe depression
irritability
aggression
anxiety
personality changes
insomnia
phobias

Chest
palpitations, tachycardia
shortness of breath
recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
nausea
diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
abdominal pain
pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
itching without a rash
lip and mouth reactions
hives
aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
loss of control of diabetes
menstrual changes
marked thinning or loss of hair
marked weight loss
gradual weight gain
aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
severe PMS

Other
frequency of voiding and burning during urination
excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
death
irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

fj1200
06-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I love sugar.

Mr. P
06-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I love sugar.
Yeah, but yer in the South where we love to get and give sugar, sugar. :laugh:

Shadow
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Found a related article so decided to post it. Kind of interesting how this study suggests diet drinks trick the body into eating more,because it expects lots of calories when things taste sweet.

Studies: Why Diet Sodas Are No Benefit to Dieters

More bad news, diet soda drinkers: data presented recently at the American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Scientific Sessions suggest that diet drinks may actually contribute to weight gain and that the artificial sweeteners in them could potentially contribute Type 2 diabetes.
In one study, researchers from the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, looked at aggregate data from 474 older adults in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging, or SALSA. At the time of enrollment and at three follow-up exams thereafter, all participants reported their diet soda intake and were measured for height, weight and waist circumference. The researchers wanted to track any association between diet soda drinking and body fat over time.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/29/studies-why-diet-sodas-are-no-boon-to-dieters/#ixzz1QokfETAG