PDA

View Full Version : 100 years ago today

Little-Acorn
06-16-2011, 01:04 PM
100 years ago today, on June 16, 1911, four companies merged together in New York to form a new company, and adopted the name "Computing Tabulating Recording Corporation".

Thirteen years later they changed the name to International Business Machines, or IBM.

Gunny
06-16-2011, 01:08 PM
100 years ago today, on June 16, 1911, four companies merged together in New York to form a new company, and adopted the name "Computing Tabulating Recording Corporation".

Thirteen years later they changed the name to International Business Machines, or IBM.

I hate to ask the obvious, BUT .... how is 100 years ago "current events"?:laugh2:

Little-Acorn
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
I hate to ask the obvious, BUT .... how is 100 years ago "current events"?:laugh2:

When your 25th wedding anniversary comes and you do and say nothing about it, your wife will carefully explain to you why it is a "current event". :blowup:

Until then, I guess you'll just have to wonder.

Kathianne
06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd say there are lessons to be learned today, Obama proved that with his ATM complaint:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2011-06-15-ibm-corporate-longevity_n.htm

IBM joins elite group of 100-year-old companies
By Matt Krantz and Jon Swartz, USA TODAY

Updated 15h 27m ago |

A hundred years ago the company made punch cards, scales and clocks. Today, its supercomputers can beat human chess champions or solve mind-bending business problems.

The company is IBM. And today Big Blue joins the exclusive club of companies to have survived 100 years, a rare feat it accomplished by constantly adapting through the tumult of recessions, technology shifts and CEO succession.

Don't make the mistake of thinking IBM is a corporate old-timer that just watched technology evolve. It has remained at the forefront through the decades and tops several of its whippersnapper rivals in some regards.

Perhaps the most quantifiable hallmark is the value investors put on the company: $197 billion. That makes IBM the fifth-most-valuable U.S. company, just behind Microsoft at $200 billion and well ahead of Google at $162 billion...

Gunny
06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
When your 25th wedding anniversary comes and you do and say nothing about it, your wife will carefully explain to you why it is a "current event". :blowup:

Until then, I guess you'll just have to wonder.

I've never made it to 15, much less 25. :laugh:

Gunny
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
I'd say there are lessons to be learned today, Obama proved that with his ATM complaint:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2011-06-15-ibm-corporate-longevity_n.htm

Obama had an ATM complaint? What ... he couldn't get enough of MY money out?

J.T
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM

This company, as we all know, would go on to do great things (http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/)...

KarlMarx
06-16-2011, 07:46 PM

And their main plant was built right here in Endicott, New York... it's still here, but they no longer own it. During its heydey, IBM employeed about 20, 000 to 30,000 people in this area.