PDA

View Full Version : Califon ‘aggressively interferes in the personal lives of its citizens’ - your state?

darin
06-17-2011, 05:03 AM
California ‘aggressively interferes in the personal lives of its citizens’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003910/New-York-New-Jersey-California-come-individual-freedoms-study.html#ixzz1PWg6kXFp

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/15/article-0-0C94641A00000578-124_634x380.jpg

The THING is...the idiots in CA LOVE IT! They continually elect freedom-siphoning "progressives" to write their laws.

NightTrain
06-17-2011, 06:04 AM
The state also has ‘by far the highest taxes in the country’ and ‘only Alaska has more government debt as a percentage of the economy’.

I'm really not sure what this means.

We don't have a State income or sales tax, pretty much the entire state is dependent on oil revenues from royalties and it's adequate, especially in times like these when there are staggeringly high oil prices. Sure, there's budget crunches with schools, police, firefighters, etc., but there are no taxes being levied except local borough (county) taxes.

LuvRPgrl
06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
The THING is...the idiots in CA LOVE IT! They continually elect freedom-siphoning "progressives" to write their laws.

U R right, the IDIOTS love it. Unfortunately they outnumber us conservatives, who HATE it, but still stay here because it may be the best place in the world to live.

I'm in San Diego which is mostly conservative/military, so that makes it good here, and why SD does so much better than the armpits known as LA and San Francisco

fj1200
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm in San Diego which is mostly conservative/military,

Nothing better than playing Torrey Pines with a flyover. :salute:

logroller
06-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Nothing better than playing Torrey Pines with a flyover. :salute:

Shock and AWE SHIT!!!:laugh:

fj1200
06-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I heard that a bit when my shanks started flying at people. :eek:

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm really not sure what this means.

We don't have a State income or sales tax, pretty much the entire state is dependent on oil revenues from royalties and it's adequate, especially in times like these when there are staggeringly high oil prices. Sure, there's budget crunches with schools, police, firefighters, etc., but there are no taxes being levied except local borough (county) taxes.

Here's the analysis:

Analysis

Alaska’s big problem is fiscal policy. Over a quarter of the state’s workforce is employed by state or local government, and that figure does not include federal employees. Alaska has the highest debt and government spending to personal income ratios in the country. However, Alaska does extremely well on personal freedom, scoring fifth on our ranking. Reasons for its score include fully legalized possession of small amounts of marijuana (accomplished through a court ruling), the least-restrictive gun laws in the country, strong asset-forfeiture protections, recognition of same-sex domestic partnerships, and possibly the best homeschooling laws in the country. On economic regulation, Alaska does poorly on labor law, occupational licensing, and eminent-domain reform but relatively well on health-insurance regulation.
Policy Recommendations

1. Cut spending on the areas of grossest overspending relative to national averages: public schools, highways and airports, corrections, administration (especially financial administration and public buildings), and “miscellaneous commercial activities.”
2. Repeal the prevailing-wage law.
3. Repeal some of the more unusual occupational licenses, such as child-care administrator, geoscientist, hydrologist, and massage therapist (some of these are implemented at the city level).

The interactive map and analysis of rankings is found here, at George Mason University site:

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

KSigMason
06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, according to the map, Idaho is one of the freer states. WAHOO!

I do love Idaho.

logroller
06-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I heard that a bit when my shanks started flying at people. :eek:

The other day my 2yr old son was throwing a golf ball around the yard and couldn't find it; I had to laugh you know--like father like son.

NightTrain
06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Here's the analysis:

The interactive map and analysis of rankings is found here, at George Mason University site:

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

Interesting.

Thanks, Kathi, I'll have to study on that a bit.

gabosaurus
06-21-2011, 05:34 PM
The other day my 2yr old son was throwing a golf ball around the yard and couldn't find it; I had to laugh you know--like father like son.

In Idaho you would be throwing a potato around the yard. :p

06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
What standards did they use to develop the map?

Kathianne
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
What standards did they use to develop the map?

The methodology is explained at the site.