PDA

View Full Version : Why Aren't You Speaking In English?

red states rule
06-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Way to go Sen Harris! We need more politicans like this guy

The guy has lived in the US for years but refuses to speak English while giving testimony before elected officials? He needed a slapdown and got one

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hNKWISYPdZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Missileman
06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Way to go Sen Harris! We need more politicans like this guy

The guy has lived in the US for years but refuses to speak English while giving testimony before elected officials? He needed a slapdown and got one

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hNKWISYPdZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately, he didn't get any backup from his colleagues.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 07:25 AM

I know and it is sad

The guy has been in the US for more then 10 years and he is NOT speaking English?

Another example on how the minority expects the majority to coddle them

Missileman
06-18-2011, 07:33 AM
I know and it is sad

The guy has been in the US for more then 10 years and he is NOT speaking English?

Another example on how the minority expects the majority to coddle them

23 years actually.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 07:36 AM
23 years actually.

At my job I see many loans tagged "Spanish Speaking Only"

Many times we try to discuss workout options for the mortgage and they plead how their English is "poor"

But once the house goes in foreclosure man do these people speak English and speak it well :laugh2:

Gunny
06-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Doesn't need nor deserve any. That he's an elected official and refuses to speak English speaks volumes. He should be summarily dismissed for that reason alone.

Missileman
06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Doesn't need nor deserve any. That he's an elected official and refuses to speak English speaks volumes. He should be summarily dismissed for that reason alone.

Uh, wha?

hjmick
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Twenty three years, he speaks English but was more comfortable giving his testimony in his native tongue. I get it. Public speaking is a scary enough proposition, but to do it in a language that is secondary to the one you grew up speaking? I'd say that's doubly scary.

red states rule
06-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Twenty three years, he speaks English but was more comfortable giving his testimony in his native tongue. I get it. Public speaking is a scary enough proposition, but to do it in a language that is secondary to the one you grew up speaking? I'd say that's doubly scary.

What is STUPID is for the government to provide and PAY for a translator when the guy could have spoke in English

Was this part of Obama's stimulus program?

J.T
06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
=2194

hjmick
06-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Red, I'm fairly certain that an intepreter is present for all such hearings just in case one is required. I doubt they hired this one especially for this guy. Hell, for all we know he could have brought the intepreter himself.

red states rule
06-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Red, I'm fairly certain that an intepreter is present for all such hearings just in case one is required. I doubt they hired this one especially for this guy. Hell, for all we know he could have brought the intepreter himself.

Valid point Hjmick

But anyone here want to take a guess on how testifying in Enlish down in Mexico would go over with the elected officials?

or the media?

KSigMason
06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
A big "HOOAH" to that man :salute:

It's too bad that not everyone supports establishing a national language in America, although common sense would dictate that the language of our Constitution would be the language of the nation, but no, that would make sense.

I've traveled to other countries and I didn't expect them to know English. I'm brushing up on my Italian to give a speech next year. In fact, to get a work visa in Italy you have to pass a language test to ensure you can communicate with the locals.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.

-Teddy Roosevelt

LuvRPgrl
06-20-2011, 01:49 AM
A big "HOOAH" to that man :salute:

It's too bad that not everyone supports establishing a national language in America, although common sense would dictate that the language of our Constitution would be the language of the nation, but no, that would make sense.

I've traveled to other countries and I didn't expect them to know English. I'm brushing up on my Italian to give a speech next year. In fact, to get a work visa in Italy you have to pass a language test to ensure you can communicate with the locals.

Learning Italiano in Idaho? Seems like German would be more "at home" :)

revelarts
06-20-2011, 07:21 AM

This is valid but not an excuse.
And it was a poor choice on his part especially in the light of the type of request he's making. And who he's trying to represent.

KSigMason
06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Learning Italiano in Idaho? Seems like German would be more "at home" :)
I do want to learn German as well, but I've always been interested in Italy and recently got to tour the country. I had such a fun time and made some good friends with the Masons there that I was invited back. I'm a novice Templar researcher (both Masonic and Crusading Templars) and they have offered to let me be a key note speaker at one of their Templar Conferences in Italy. Can't pass that up.