PDA

View Full Version : McCain rips Republican candidates for "isolationism"

Shadow
06-19-2011, 01:09 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Republican Senator John McCain, his party's 2008 presidential nominee, ripped into the current crop of Republican White House contenders, accusing them of breaking party tradition by preaching "isolationism."

McCain said if former President Ronald Reagan were still alive he would have been disappointed in last week's Republican presidential debate in which candidates voiced impatience with U.S. military efforts in Afghanistan, Iraq and now Libya.

"He would be saying: That's not the Republican Party of the 20th century, and now the 21st century. That is not the Republican Party that has been willing to stand up for freedom for people for all over the world," McCain said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110619/pl_nm/us_usa_campaign_republicans

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Seems to me that he and Lindsay would both be happier in the other party.

J.T
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
McCain supported Qaddafi from 2003 on, with very few caveats. He supported Obama's venture into Libya, that he's sticking with it one must wonder for how long?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/john-mccain-was-in-favor-_n_839249.html

J.T
06-19-2011, 08:29 PM
A little isolationism would be a welcome change.

Gaffer
06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
McCain supported Qaddafi from 2003 on, with very few caveats. He supported Obama's venture into Libya, that he's sticking with it one must wonder for how long?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/john-mccain-was-in-favor-_n_839249.html

He'll stick with it as long as the dark lord needs him too. That man needs to be retired.

revelarts
06-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Is China Isolationist?
How many wars are they fighting for communism?

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Is China Isolationist?

Interesting, just saw this today:

Burma
http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Extremely-Disturbing-Barely-Noticed-Story-of-the-Week?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Links at site:

Extremely Disturbing Barely-Noticed Story of the Week
Claire Berlinski, Ed. · 21 hours ago

From AP, noted in the Jakarta Post:

20110617_BurmaArmy

YANGON: In its first public comments on a week of fighting in northeast Myanmar, the government said Saturday that ethnic Kachin rebels fired first and the army had to act to protect a major Chinese-built hydroelectric power project.

The skirmishes were some of the fiercest in nearly two decades between government forces and the Kachin Independence Army. They erupted June 9, displacing at least 10,000 people over the course of about one week. The rebels have blamed the government for launching an offensive after militia fighters rejected a call to leave the strategic region.

The government says it did call on rebels to leave, but accused them of firing first after threatening Chinese technicians and detaining two army officers, according to a report Saturday in the state-run New Light of Myanmar newspaper.

So: Threaten Chinese technicians and they'll displace 10,000 of you in less than a week, and the only place it will be reported is in the New Light of Myanmar, which you can be dead sure is only hinting at the horror of this.

Internal

http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2011/06/01/china-tiananmen-resonates-new-crackdown

Vietnam

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2011/0616/Vietnam-China-Spratly-Islands-dispute-threatens-to-escalate

Vietnam and Phillipines

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-05/china-reassures-its-neighbors-after-clashes-over-claims-in-south-china-sea.html

Neighbors in general, increasing military spending by 12.7% in coming year:

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE7540G920110605

Gaffer
06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Is China Isolationist?

Actually I believe they have been but are starting to flex their muscles and looking at expanding in the world. They are expanding their economy and starting to influence other countries. They learned the lesson of the soviets.

Shadow
06-21-2011, 09:49 PM
He'll stick with it as long as the dark lord needs him too. That man needs to be retired.

I don't get McCain...other than he just has to tout his "Maverick" schtick whenever he can. This guy wouldn't even criticize Obama during the presidential campaign (or let anyone on his staff). Yet he sticks it to the republican's? He needs to retire...his BS is getting old.

fj1200
06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Actually I believe they have been but are starting to flex their muscles and looking at expanding in the world. They are expanding their economy and starting to influence other countries. They learned the lesson of the soviets.

+1 They are very much into increasing their power by expanding economically into the many countries that surround them. Good article in a recent Economist about their efforts.

http://www.economist.com/node/18806782

06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Well, you know what? I don't give a damn what Senator McCain says or want. As far as I'm concerned, it's his fault that we have Obama as our President. If the man did what was best for his nation instead of his own ego, we would have a much better nation.

Gunny
06-22-2011, 11:51 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Republican Senator John McCain, his party's 2008 presidential nominee, ripped into the current crop of Republican White House contenders, accusing them of breaking party tradition by preaching "isolationism."

McCain said if former President Ronald Reagan were still alive he would have been disappointed in last week's Republican presidential debate in which candidates voiced impatience with U.S. military efforts in Afghanistan, Iraq and now Libya.

"He would be saying: That's not the Republican Party of the 20th century, and now the 21st century. That is not the Republican Party that has been willing to stand up for freedom for people for all over the world," McCain said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110619/pl_nm/us_usa_campaign_republicans

What a shock. Gee, can't figure out how he lost ...

KSigMason
06-25-2011, 01:04 AM
A little isolationism would be a welcome change.
This we agree on. We have enough of our own troubles and I'd rather have our military protect our border from illegals run amok or the Mexican military who constantly cross our borders, threatening our sovereignty. The world bitches at us and complains, we need to just withdraw and fix our own wounds. I fear that we have been so outwardly focused that internally we are struggling from evil, and it needs rectified.

Shadow
06-25-2011, 09:21 AM
What a shock. Gee, can't figure out how he lost ...

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why mr "nice guy" Jon Huntsman would think he stood a chance in 2012 if he is not willing to take the gloves off with Obama. Attacking conservatives never did much for McCain...except make him popular with the Dems. And only then when they could use him and then toss him back under the bus.

Kathianne
06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why mr "nice guy" Jon Huntsman would think he stood a chance in 2012 if he is not willing to take the gloves off with Obama. Attacking conservatives never did much for McCain...except make him popular with the Dems. And only then when they could use him and then toss him back under the bus.

From all I've read regarding Huntsman he is very McCain like, thus he's being 'honest' and shouldn't have a chance with conservatives.

Gaffer
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
From all I've read regarding Huntsman he is very McCain like, thus he's being 'honest' and shouldn't have a chance with conservatives.

From what I've read his whole family are democrap supporters. He pretends to be a repub because he's in Utah, a very conservative state.

Kathianne
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
From what I've read his whole family are democrap supporters. He pretends to be a repub because he's in Utah, a very conservative state.

Yep he supported Obama for president and served as ambassador to China under Obama's State Dept.

Gunny
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Seems to me that he and Lindsay would both be happier in the other party.

No kidding. He pulls crap like this and then wonders why he can't get the right to back him as Presidential candidate.

Dante
06-25-2011, 02:41 PM
No kidding. He pulls crap like this and then wonders why he can't get the right to back him as Presidential candidate.

The right? LOL When have they ever elected a President? Pat Buchanan?

btw, McCain WON the GOP primary. :laugh2:

Dante
06-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't get McCain...other than he just has to tout his "Maverick" schtick whenever he can. This guy wouldn't even criticize Obama during the presidential campaign (or let anyone on his staff). Yet he sticks it to the republican's? He needs to retire...his BS is getting old.
Have you ever thought of using Google.com before putting your foot in your mouth?

try this for starters: Google the words - mccain obama debate

I guess you consider dirty arguments and lying to be criticism? McCain wanted a clean fight -- shame on him?

PostmodernProphet
06-25-2011, 03:37 PM

they don't have to start a war to expand their influence.....all they have to do is spend money.......wait, that sounds like they learned their lessons from us......

Shadow
06-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Have you ever thought of using Google.com before putting your foot in your mouth?

try this for starters: Google the words - mccain obama debate

I guess you consider dirty arguments and lying to be criticism? McCain wanted a clean fight -- shame on him?

Uh...no...that would be the "tactics" the lefties used and pulled on McCain during the pres campaign,while he was busy being Mr "Nice guy".

Shadow
06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
The right? LOL When have they ever elected a President? Pat Buchanan?

btw, McCain WON the GOP primary. :laugh2:

Again... because he was more than willing to "play dirty" within his own party and sided with Huckabee to try and take down Romney. He also benefitted when the rest of the party was split three ways between three other candidates. It wasn't because the conservatives actually liked him. :laugh: