PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Device Disarmed In Evanston

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 09:18 PM
This would be very close to the Howard Street train station, one of the busiest in the burbs:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/6057089-418/explosive-device-found-at-evanston-police-post-suspect-in-custody.html

‘Explosive device’ found at Evanston police post, suspect in custody

Sun-Times Media wire
Last Modified: Jun 19, 2011 08:44PM

A suspect is in custody after an “explosive device” was found outside an Evanston Police Department outpost on the southern edge of Evanston, on the border of the north suburb and Chicago.

On Saturday, Evanston Police received information about a possible explosive device planted at the Evanston Police Department’s Howard Street Outpost at 633 Howard St., a release from Evanston police said.

Detectives from the Evanston Police Investigative Services Division looked into the tip and the information appeared credible, police said. As a result, bomb technicians from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police responded to the scene and conducted a search, locating an explosive device in the rear exterior of the building.

The device was made inoperable by bomb squad technicians, and the Chicago Fusion Center was notified. Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also assisted in the investigation.

A person of interest was taken into custody Saturday, Evanston police said. A statement was obtained and additional evidence was recovered, police said. It appears the person in custody acted alone and no other explosive device was placed.

The suspect was turned over to federal authorities late Sunday afternoon. Formal charges were pending Sunday evening, according to police.

Gaffer
06-19-2011, 09:22 PM
This would be very close to the Howard Street train station, one of the busiest in the burbs:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/6057089-418/explosive-device-found-at-evanston-police-post-suspect-in-custody.html

Bet he's either a muslim or a lib.

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I'll check later, right now they still haven't named him.

Gaffer
06-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I'll check later, right now they still haven't named him.

Which usually indicates he's a muslim.

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Which usually indicates he's a muslim.

Well that has been my experience, but he could be a Swede.

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Well he's still not named, but lots of reassurances that he 'acted alone.' That too is common phraseology.

Gaffer
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM

:laugh: yeah an aryan nation moron. But then he would have gone after a Jewish center.

Kathianne
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
:laugh: yeah an aryan nation moron. But then he would have gone after a Jewish center.

Interesting area we're talking about. Howard Street in Evanston is basically across the street from Chicago. Skokie too is right there. Evanston has a pretty significant Muslim population and Skokie has over 3%. Part of the reason may well have to do with Kosher shops, which works for Islam too.

Kathianne
06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Well they got around to a bit more info now, but still no name:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-charges-coming-in-planting-of-bomb-at-evanston-police-facility-20110620,0,6348839.story

Man, 19, to be charged with planting bomb in Evanston

By Pat Curry

WGN-TV

11:33 AM CDT, June 20, 2011
Advertisement
Quantcast

A 19-year-old Evanston man will be charged with planting a crude but potentially deadly explosive device outside the Howard Street branch of the Evanston Police Department, officials said.

A tip to the Evanston police department Saturday indicated an explosive device was placed inside a garbage can outside the building at 633 W. Howard, said Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms spokesman Tom Ahern.

He said the improvised device was built with fireworks explosives, as well as nails and glass. It was also fuse-activated.

Ahern said the device was dangerous because there were a number of ways it could have been detonated.

"It may have been set off by radio signals, which are emitted from inside that police branch, heat, even by a cell phone. There was also an apartment building and an auto shop close by, so if this went off, it had the potential to harm a great number of people," Ahern said.

Ahern said all evidence indicates the suspect acted alone. He said the teen had no prior convictions.

"We still haven't established a motive, yet," he said, "but the public doesn't have to worry that this is part of a larger terrorist plot," he said.

Nothing to see here, moving along. :rolleyes:

NightTrain
06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Looks like the idiot kid was trying to make money by collecting the reward for tipping off the cops about the bomb that he placed.

Oh, Sergio. You silly bastard.

http://www.suntimes.com/6064798-417/evanston-man-planted-bomb-tried-to-get-reward-for-tip-authorities.html
A 19-year-old Evanston man is accused of planting a bomb at an Evanston police station — and then calling in a tip about the device to the police and asking for a reward.

Sergio Chaves left the bomb in a garbage can outside the station at 633 Howard, next to an apartment building, officials said Monday.

The Cook County sheriff’s bomb squad rendered the device safe Saturday night.

Chaves faces federal charges of attempted bombing of public safety officials, said Tom Ahern, spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“It put a lot of people at risk, including the three officers in the police station at the time,” Ahern said.

“We believe he was acting alone,” Ahern said.

Law-enforcement sources said the improvised device contained explosives from fireworks, as well as nails and glass and was fuse-activated.

Chaves allegedly called in a tip to the Evanston Police Department about the location of the bomb. He identified himself in the call.

Early Sunday, he approached police to claim a reward of a few thousand dollars, sources said. Chaves told police a drug dealer had intended to bomb the station, but his story “didn’t add up,” a source said.

Chaves — who has no felony convictions, according to Ahern — is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court Monday afternoon.

Kathianne
06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
That actually makes me feel much better. Thanks. I kept checking for an updated report, none were naming names.

NightTrain
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
That actually makes me feel much better. Thanks. I kept checking for an updated report, none were naming names.

Yeah, Kathi, it makes me feel a little better, too. At least it wasn't another Achmed...

Sergio will be a very old man before he sees the light of day again, I suspect. He will be a frightening example of what happens when trying a pull a stunt like this.

Kathianne
06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, Kathi, it makes me feel a little better, too. At least it wasn't another Achmed...

Sergio will be a very old man before he sees the light of day again, I suspect. He will be a frightening example of what happens when trying a pull a stunt like this.

Indeed. Thanks for finding the Sun-Times update. Much appreciated! :2up: