PDA

View Full Version : More from the west's 2nd-leading Nanny Government; Lifevests for all swimmers

darin
06-21-2011, 05:49 AM
King County, Washington, is lead by absolutely ninnies. Worst part is, they represent the 'progressive' (oppressive/fascist) population.

Now - everybody who swims, floats, etc, on ANY river in the county must do so wearing a life-vest.

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=174&sid=492274

SEATTLE (AP) - A divided King County Council has passed a measure to require all swimmers, floaters and boaters on the county's rivers to wear life vests.

This will change, eventually, to all lakes, too. Then, all swimming pools. eventually? Bathtubs.

KSigMason
06-21-2011, 06:47 AM
This is just stupid. I wouldn't wear a lifevest while swimming in the river. Lifevests make it hard to even swim as it constricts movement.

fj1200
06-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Lifevests make it hard to even swim...

They do however make it easy to float and not floating is a leading cause of drowning.

Monkeybone
06-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Whatever happened to my choice and responsibility for the consequences? ugh! if I don't wanna wear a seat belt that is my problem. If I allow my kids or friends to ride in the back of my pickup truck, my or their problem. If I don't wanna wear a vest, my problem.

CSM
06-21-2011, 08:32 AM
They do however make it easy to float and not floating is a leading cause of drowning.

Not true. Floating or not floating is irrelevant; it's the whole breathing water into the lungs thingy that is the leading cause of drowning. They should have made breathing underwater (without the aid of mechanical breathing devices) illegal.

fj1200
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Not true. Floating or not floating is irrelevant; it's the whole breathing water into the lungs thingy that is the leading cause of drowning. They should have made breathing underwater (without the aid of mechanical breathing devices) illegal.

I defer to you sir. :salute: I guess not floating would merely be a contributing factor. They should consult you when drafting future legislation; murder could be eliminated by making it illegal to stand in front of a speeding bullet or thrusting knife. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Whatever happened to my choice and responsibility for the consequences? ugh! if I don't wanna wear a seat belt that is my problem. If I allow my kids or friends to ride in the back of my pickup truck, my or their problem. If I don't wanna wear a vest, my problem.

If you waive your rights to sue for any injuries, then that's fine.

Abbey Marie
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
King County, Washington, is lead by absolutely ninnies. Worst part is, they represent the 'progressive' (oppressive/fascist) population.

Now - everybody who swims, floats, etc, on ANY river in the county must do so wearing a life-vest.
This will change, eventually, to all lakes, too. Then, all swimming pools.
eventually? Bathtubs.

Are there a lot of minorities in this county? (sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?)

LuvRPgrl
06-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Too much govt control is the leading cause of dictatorships.

I guess the leaders are worried about being able to swim, like they are swimming in all the debt they have created.

logroller
06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
If you waive your rights to sue for any injuries, then that's fine.

Waiving your rights? Only with great trepidation. I live near a very dangerous river, requiring search and rescue operations regularly and claiming multiple lives each year. Understanding the majority occurs among visitors to region; it costs the county inhabitants' tax dollars to provide rescue and recovery services. Of course the city could attempt to collect for the services, but its probably bad PR to sue a bereaved family-- so the county eats it! To protect those interests I can understand the origin and intent of such laws, though I don't readily agree.

Abbey Marie
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Waiving your rights? Only with great trepidation. I live near a very dangerous river, requiring search and rescue operations regularly and claiming multiple lives each year. Understanding the majority occurs among visitors to region; it costs the county inhabitants' tax dollars to provide rescue and recovery services. Of course the city could attempt to collect for the services, but its probably bad PR to sue a bereaved family-- so the county eats it! To protect those interests I can understand the origin and intent of such laws, though I don't readily agree.

I am not against free choice when it comes to personal safety. But whenever I hear someone say it's their right to drive without a seat belt, or ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I think the same thing: Go for it, but then don't sue someone when you are paralyzed, etc., because you weren't wearing them. Unfortunately, the same people who want to "be free of encumbrances" will attempt to sue the pants off the other driver.

LuvRPgrl
06-22-2011, 01:53 AM
I am not against free choice when it comes to personal safety. But whenever I hear someone say it's their right to drive without a seat belt, or ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I think the same thing: Go for it, but then don't sue someone when you are paralyzed, etc., because you weren't wearing them. Unfortunately, the same people who want to "be free of encumbrances" will attempt to sue the pants off the other driver.

I've paid about $50,000 or so in insurance fees and never got a penny back.

SassyLady
06-22-2011, 01:57 AM
I've paid about $50,000 or so in insurance fees and never got a penny back.

insurance isn't a savings account

LuvRPgrl
06-22-2011, 02:28 AM
insurance isn't a savings account

No kidding, Ive been paying for others to have their cars fixed. I would much rather have those funds in Qualcomm or MSFT stocks.

Monkeybone
06-22-2011, 06:40 AM
If you waive your rights to sue for any injuries, then that's fine.well duh. If something happens and then it is found out that I wasn't taking recomended precautions, then it is my own dumbass fault. Then when that is proven, they can say "so sorry"

I am not against free choice when it comes to personal safety. But whenever I hear someone say it's their right to drive without a seat belt, or ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I think the same thing: Go for it, but then don't sue someone when you are paralyzed, etc., because you weren't wearing them. Unfortunately, the same people who want to "be free of encumbrances" will attempt to sue the pants off the other driver. it is their right. It should also be the right of the people to say to them " You didn't have (blank) when doing (blank) even though it was recommended that you should. Sorry" In the two post, recommended.. not required. Now, if they are under 18, then by all means make it required. It just comes down to people not wanting to accect responsibility for their actions, and understandable trying to protect stupid people.

But I do know what you mean. those classic people of "I didn't know that pulling the trigger on a loaded gun would without the safety on would make it go off".

Gunny
06-22-2011, 09:35 AM

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=174&sid=492274

This will change, eventually, to all lakes, too. Then, all swimming pools. eventually? Bathtubs.

Good thing I don't live there. I'd tell them to f- off. Odd how the Corps didn't hand me one of those when I got my water survival qualification.

I can sink in full battle dress at the behest of the government, but can't swim in a river without water wings? Nice.

LuvRPgrl
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
well duh. If something happens and then it is found out that I wasn't taking recomended precautions, then it is my own dumbass fault. Then when that is proven, they can say "so sorry"

it is their right. It should also be the right of the people to say to them " You didn't have (blank) when doing (blank) even though it was recommended that you should. Sorry" In the two post, recommended.. not required. Now, if they are under 18, then by all means make it required. It just comes down to people not wanting to accect responsibility for their actions, and understandable trying to protect stupid people.

But I do know what you mean. those classic people of "I didn't know that pulling the trigger on a loaded gun would without the safety on would make it go off".

Through the threat of taking away some of our recreational activities, Govt is forcing these safety measures upon us.
Problem is twofold. They are creating mindless robots. Get in car. Buckle up. Check mirrors. etc, etc,
But then people think, well, I did everything they told me to, so I must be safe now. But what happens when something unexpected comes up? An accident? These people are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Then when they turn to the authorities for help, the authorities deny responsabililty claiming they cant be everywhere at all times.

Its kinda like cops, they tell us we shouldnt have guns, but then when a situation comes up and we become a victim, "where were you guys", and the cops respond with, we cant be everywhere protecting everyone at all times.

Gaffer
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Through the threat of taking away some of our recreational activities, Govt is forcing these safety measures upon us.
Problem is twofold. They are creating mindless robots. Get in car. Buckle up. Check mirrors. etc, etc,
But then people think, well, I did everything they told me to, so I must be safe now. But what happens when something unexpected comes up? An accident? These people are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Then when they turn to the authorities for help, the authorities deny responsabililty claiming they cant be everywhere at all times.

Its kinda like cops, they tell us we shouldnt have guns, but then when a situation comes up and we become a victim, "where were you guys", and the cops respond with, we cant be everywhere protecting everyone at all times.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away. Same goes for firefighters and medical personnel.

You are not to take action, you are to wait for duly appointed govt personnel to arrive. That's what things are coming down to now days.

LuvRPgrl
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
When seconds count the police are only minutes away. Same goes for firefighters and medical personnel.

You are not to take action, you are to wait for duly appointed govt personnel to arrive. That's what things are coming down to now days.

Not for me. I have gotten involved with criminal activity and stopping it, when the cops showed up, they thanked me profusely.

The biggest advantage, considering I'm a part time mini criminal :) , is I have a reputation with those specific cops now.

Gaffer
06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Not for me. I have gotten involved with criminal activity and stopping it, when the cops showed up, they thanked me profusely.

The biggest advantage, considering I'm a part time mini criminal :) , is I have a reputation with those specific cops now.

Your the exception. Most people don't get involved. And govt at all levels tries to dissuade people from getting involved. Tho there are still cops out there with common sense who will encourage people like you.