PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea Poising to Stike the Heart of America?

J.T
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
North Korea’s last round of tests, conducted in May 2009, appear to have included a “super-EMP” weapon, capable of emitting enough gamma rays to disable the electric power grid across most of the lower 48 states, says Dr. Peter Vincent Pry, a former CIA nuclear weapons analyst and president of EMPact America, a citizens lobbying group....

http://www.newsmax.com/KenTimmerman/super-emp-emp-northkorea-nuke/2011/06/16/id/400260

Gaffer
06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Any nuclear warhead is an EMP weapon. It just has to be set off at the right altitude. To do so over the US would take an ICBM. Which NK does not possess. Their longest range missiles are only good for 600 to 900 miles. Even China doesn't have the capability to launch ICBM's.

J.T
06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Any nuclear warhead is an EMP weapon. It just has to be set off at the right altitude. To do so over the US would take an ICBM. Which NK does not possess. Their longest range missiles are only good for 600 to 900 miles. Even China doesn't have the capability to launch ICBM's.
In 2009, Reuters told the masses that N. Korea could hit America

The Taepodong-2 is a two- or three-stage missile with a designed range of 6,700 km (4,160 miles), which means it could hit Alaska. It has a possible warhead payload of 650 kg to 1,000 kg (1,450 to 2,205 lb) in its short range configuration. One study has said that, with a reduced payload, the missile could travel 10,000 km (6,200 miles), which would theoretically put the western U.S. mainland within range. Research http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/03/26/us-korea-north-missile-factbox-idUSTRE52P03Q20090326

That's what they admitted to the masses two years ago.

I see no reason to suspect their capabilities have lessened since then.

Gaffer
06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
It's hard to say what their capabilities are these days as NK is so secretive. As I recall that missile was not very accurate. And I have to consider the source of the news....rueters, which is not known for their truthfulness or accuracy in reporting.

They don't have an abundance of these missiles which could be targeted by our missile defense system and a counter strike would be made immediately.

I'd be more concerned with iran using hamas and hezbo within our country or right off shore with a suicide boat.

Monkeybone
06-22-2011, 06:46 AM
just work with Iran and stick it in a satellite :tinfoil:

CSM
06-22-2011, 06:54 AM
North Korea may have missiles that can reach the continental US. Given the state of their technology, I am willing to bet that any missile they have in their inventory with such range would not be capable of carrying a payload with the weight and mass necessary to creat an EMP burst. I suppose they could mount a bayonet on the nose cone and go for selective individual targets.