PDA

View Full Version : Bush Told War Is Harming The GOP

lily
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Well......will he do what's best for the party or splinter it?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/09/AR2007050902461.html?referrer=email

Bush Told War Is Harming The GOP
A Warning on Eve Of Vote on New Bill

By Shailagh Murray and Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, May 10, 2007; Page A01

House Republican moderates, in a remarkably blunt White House meeting,
warned President Bush this week that his pursuit of the war in Iraq is
risking the future of the Republican Party and that he cannot count on GOP
support for many more months.

The meeting, which ran for an hour and a half Tuesday afternoon, was
disclosed by participants yesterday as the House prepared to vote this
evening on a spending bill that could cut funding for the Iraq war as early
as July. GOP moderates told Bush they would stay united against the latest
effort by House Democrats to end U.S. involvement in the war. Even Senate
Democrats called the House measure unrealistic.

But the meeting between 11 House Republicans, Bush, Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, White House political
adviser Karl Rove and presidential press secretary Tony Snow was perhaps the
clearest sign yet that patience in the party is running out. The meeting,
organized by Rep. Charlie Dent (Pa.), one of the co-chairs of the moderate
"Tuesday Group," included Reps. Thomas M. Davis III (Va.), Michael N. Castle
(Del.), Todd R. Platts (Pa.), Jim Ramstad (Minn.) and Jo Ann Emerson (Mo.).

"It was a very remarkable, candid conversation," Davis said. "People are
always saying President Bush is in a bubble. Well, this was our chance, and
we took it."

Even with pressure mounting, Congress and the White House are making little
progress as they try to find a bipartisan option to fund the war through the
summer. Senate leaders met with White House officials yesterday and produced
no agreement, as Gates warned lawmakers that the debate is beginning to
delay Pentagon operations.

Gaffer
05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
The RINO's have spoken.

lily
05-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, that list of RINO's will be growing, you can mark my word on it. But again I am curious, you don't mind Bush splitting the Republican party apart?

loosecannon
05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, that list of RINO's will be growing, you can mark my word on it. But again I am curious, you don't mind Bush splitting the Republican party apart?

Bush has never been and will never be a conservative.

He is only a republican if you redefine the word to suit his character.

The bad news is, there is little left of the conservative republican base. They are dying of old age and being replaced with radical fundies and neocons.

The good news is everything else. I won't gloat but I can think of 6 upsides to the GOP fracturing before it reorganizes into something real and healed of Bush blots.

Fingers crossed hope for the best.

Gunny
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Bush has never been and will never be a conservative.

He is only a republican if you redefine the word to suit his character.

The bad news is, there is little left of the conservative republican base. They are dying of old age and being replaced with radical fundies and neocons.

The good news is everything else. I won't gloat but I can think of 6 upsides to the GOP fracturing before it reorganizes into something real and healed of Bush blots.

Fingers crossed hope for the best.

I agree with you up to the last paragraph. I don't see anything good coming of it. The Democrats do more harm to us than good, IMO, that's why they rarely get the moderate vote.

And THAT is what's wrong with the GOP. You have traditional conservatives, moderate conservatives, necons and RINO's doing the same thing to the GOP Carter and his factionalism did to thje Democrats in the 70s.

loosecannon
05-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I agree with you up to the last paragraph. I don't see anything good coming of it. The Democrats do more harm to us than good, IMO, that's why they rarely get the moderate vote.

And THAT is what's wrong with the GOP. You have traditional conservatives, moderate conservatives, necons and RINO's doing the same thing to the GOP Carter and his factionalism did to thje Democrats in the 70s.

Well both parties are on the ropes.

The dems got new wind in the last midterm. But they govern like sissies. I mean where is that steadfast "just say no" attitude about Iraq?

If neither party can even adhere to a principled platform then something new MUST replace them both.

The current GOP is just the worse of two unspeakable evils.

Gunny
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Well both parties are on the ropes.

The dems got new wind in the last midterm. But they govern like sissies. I mean where is that steadfast "just say no" attitude about Iraq?

If neither party can even adhere to a principled platform then something new MUST replace them both.

The current GOP is just the worse of two unspeakable evils.

THEY govern like sissies?

Dude, the Republicans were put into power for the express reason that people wanted a change. They had 8 years control of Congress, 6 with a GOP President, and backed down to Democrat bluster EVERY time. THAT is being sissies.:laugh2:

And you last is where we are going to just have to agree to disagree. I think the left is the most destructive force this Nation has ever faced, and it's taking us straight into the mediocrity of a "used to be World Power."

I'm all for replacing both parties in their entireties.

Joe Steel
05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
If Bush's war destroys the Republicons, that will be only good thing to come form it.

loosecannon
05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
THEY govern like sissies?

Dude, the Republicans were put into power for the express reason that people wanted a change. They had 8 years control of Congress, 6 with a GOP President, and backed down to Democrat bluster EVERY time. THAT is being sissies.:laugh2:

And you last is where we are going to just have to agree to disagree. I think the left is the most destructive force this Nation has ever faced, and it's taking us straight into the mediocrity of a "used to be World Power."

I'm all for replacing both parties in their entireties.

Which is why we need more character and autonomy retained in individual states.

As far as the US becoming a has been super power.....it is much more complex. The powerful, the truly powerful are abandoning nations states as their bases and becoming multinational in their scope.

They are developing institutions like the WTO, treaties like NAFTA/CAFTA and nation state clusters like the EU and the NAU and ASEAN that are more powerful than nations and actually over ride national laws.

The WTO for example has a court which if all the treaties are honored will legally trump many of our laws.

So the world leader that we were is becoming fragmented and spread out across the globe. It is no longer "ours". And we are instead becoming a subscriber state to our old powerbase. We do still have our military but by destroying our military in Iraq and replacing it with private armies like the 100,000 mercenaries in Iraq today even that strength is disintegrating.

This was refered to as "The new World Order" under Clinton. It is promoted aggressively by Bush in the form of the NAU and his "starve the Beast" dismantling of our fed gummit, and will be promoted aggressively by Hillary as well.

Which is why I do not trust Hillary at all. Or Bush. They are literally traitors to US, and serving a multinational master.