PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

Abbey Marie
06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know how to attach window boxes to brick?

Nukeman
06-22-2011, 12:29 PM
masonry screws and brackets would work. you may have to drill holes first

You could get some L brackets and attach them first than screw the boxes to the brackets!!:beer:

Abbey Marie
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Thank you! I am going to print this and give it to my doubting husband. :thumb:

fj1200
06-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Nuke is right on. I'd give the boxes a little space from the brick so you can get some airflow.

KarlMarx
06-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Whenever I have a question like this.. I go to Google

I took your question and dropped it into Google and got this (among others)

http://video.about.com/landscaping/Install-a-Window-Flower-Box.htm

PostmodernProphet
06-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Thank you! I am going to print this and give it to my doubting husband. :thumb:

he's not doubting, he's panicking at the thought of putting a hole in a brick....I did the same and finally made a metal bracket that suspended the window box from the window frame instead of the brick....

Abbey Marie
06-23-2011, 09:52 AM
he's not doubting, he's panicking at the thought of putting a hole in a brick....I did the same and finally made a metal bracket that suspended the window box from the window frame instead of the brick....

We have a small masonry (?) lip in front of the window. How did you do it?

Gunny
06-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Sure. Find some fastenal blue masonary screws. They work better than sleeve anchors or blue meanies (the plastic anchors). They come with a bit that drills the hole out perfectly and the screw threads right in without cracking the brick.

All you need is a drill.

NightTrain
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Sure. Find some fastenal blue masonary screws. They work better than sleeve anchors or blue meanies (the plastic anchors). They come with a bit that drills the hole out perfectly and the screw threads right in without cracking the brick.

All you need is a drill.

Yep. Don't get too close to the edge of the brick or you'll probably end up shattering off a piece. Drill in the center.

Abbey Marie
06-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the great responses. :salute:

PostmodernProphet
06-24-2011, 06:18 AM
We have a small masonry (?) lip in front of the window. How did you do it?

strap of metal drilled into window frame.....bent 90 degrees at the top of the masonry lip, bent down 90 degrees at the outer face of the brick.....window box bolted to metal strap....

trust me, the thought of drilling a hole in the face of a brick would bring panic to any man's soul......

if in a few years you decide you don't want window boxes you can fill the hole in the wood with wood putty, paint over it.......you can never fill a hole in a brick...and, in a cold climate it will probably crack in a few years.....