PDA

View Full Version : Is speaking a foreign language viewed as protected speech?

gabosaurus
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
There is a small restaurant near Hollywood that has a sign in its window that says "This is America. Please speak English while dining."

My sister, being the rabble-rouser that she is, decided to see if they would enforce the sign. So she went there with a co-worker. After ordering in English and getting their meal, they began talking to each other in Spanish. No one said anything.
Of course, it might be different if two Latinos were speaking Spanish instead of two Anglo women.

The question: do you view choice of language spoken as protected speech?

06-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Why wouldn't you be free to speak a foreign language?

The real question is why you seem to think that a private business can't request that it's patrons speak English. The First amendment only prevents government from enacting laws restricting free speech.

I find it difficult to believe that you don't already know this.

darin
06-23-2011, 05:29 AM
...what's the consequence if patrons do not follow the request? Nothing. it's a sign. Get over it.

Abbey Marie
06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
In Philly, we had a famous cheesesteak shop refuse to take orders in anything but English. After a lot of grief over it from ACLU types, the owner was able to continue doing business that way.

revelarts
06-23-2011, 10:10 AM
There is a small restaurant near Hollywood that has a sign in its window that says "This is America. Please speak English while dining."

My sister, being the rabble-rouser that she is, decided to see if they would enforce the sign. So she went there with a co-worker. After ordering in English and getting their meal, they began talking to each other in Spanish. No one said anything.
Of course, it might be different if two Latinos were speaking Spanish instead of two Anglo women.

Does a no shirt no shoes no service, Violate the the right not to wear shoes, blatant discrimination to surfers?

Does a jackets only policy violate free dress clause of the constitution.

Sure I get it gab, the sign is blunt and its posted I'm sure in out of frustration. And to make a point.
The owner has made a free choice,
and those that want his service can go in
and those that don't like the sign can stay out.

Freedom, it's what the constitution is about.

And It's a language not a race sign. Would you be offended if there was a sign in Mexico on a restaurant door that said "Spanish speaking only". or "locals only" Heck i Couldn't even you read them, but i wouldn't be offended , I'd even understand where they are coming from. I'm in their country and they want to keep their cultural distinctness and not be overrun by foreign white devils. I get it. cool.

I don't understand why SOME people are so uptight about those of us who expect people, that have CHOSEN to come to this country, to SPEAK ENGLISH.
Why is that an UNREASONABLE request?
Not asking them to recant their Spanish and never speak it again under pain of DEATH.

Just learn to Speak the Freaking native language and use it in public where it's probably more effective.

Gunny
06-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Guess what happens if you speak English in China ... nobody protests. They just ignore you.

06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
I also have to ask you gabs, why do you seem to think that a business owner doesnt have the freedom to determine what language is spoken at his/her place of business?

gabosaurus
06-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I also have to ask you gabs, why do you seem to think that a business owner doesnt have the freedom to determine what language is spoken at his/her place of business?

Freedom of speech perhaps?
If someone can determine what language you speak, can they also decide what subject matter is appropriate for conversation?

Kathianne
06-23-2011, 01:09 PM
If someone can determine what language you speak, can they also decide what subject matter is appropriate for conversation?

Did they order in English or the other language? Carrying on their own conversation in another language would be protected I believe. If they couldn't order in English, I doubt the shop could be cited for discrimination, especially with warning.

gabosaurus
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Did they order in English or the other language? Carrying on their own conversation in another language would be protected I believe. If they couldn't order in English, I doubt the shop could be cited for discrimination, especially with warning.

They did order in English.
Thanks Kathianne. You are the only one so far who has gotten my point.

fj1200
06-23-2011, 01:40 PM
It certainly wasn't a well thought out point.

darin
06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Frequently people who can't figure out a point, claim a point made by others as their own.

gabosaurus
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Frequently people who can't figure out a point, claim a point made by others as their own.

Which is why so many ConReps listen to Rush and watch Fox News. So they can find their point of view.

fj1200
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Which is why so many ConReps listen to Rush and watch Fox News. So they can find their point of view.

Have you been working on that line all day?

06-23-2011, 05:11 PM

So you think that people should be able to go onto someones private property and say whatever they want and the property owner has no freedom at all to deal with them?

It's the government that has limits on regulating speech. Private individuals have the full right to govern their own property. Doesnt matter if you like it or not.

DragonStryk72
06-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Okay, so there was a bs test that didn't effect restaurant service at all? Yeah.... Here that's called private conversation. Even if the restaurant is being a dick, you're being just as much of a dick about it.

gabosaurus
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Sometimes you feel a need to prove a point. Even if it means being a dick.

06-23-2011, 10:21 PM

And what's that point? That you don't think people are entitled to govern their own property or serve those they choose?

gabosaurus
06-23-2011, 10:29 PM
And what's that point? That you don't think people are entitled to govern their own property or serve those they choose?

They can govern without showing discrimination.
It's like the homeowners associations that plainly state in their leases "no large flag poles allowed." Followed by the guy who erects a 50-foot flag pole in his yard and makes a huge case when the restriction is enforced -- "why do they hate our flag?"

You protest things you don't believe are right.

DragonStryk72
06-23-2011, 11:51 PM

but you didn't prove a point

Gunny
06-24-2011, 05:42 AM

You don't have any more right to freedom of speech in someone's place of business than you do to take a leak on the wall. Where you lefties come off thinking you have a right to tell others what they can do with their stuff boggles the mind.

You have a Constitutional Right to stand on a corner and flap your gums to your little heart's content .. IF you have a permit. Private enterprise is controlled only in so far as that private enterprise allows the government to get its toe in the door.

Your so-called freedoms end where mine begin.

They did order in English.
Thanks Kathianne. You are the only one so far who has gotten my point.

Not hard to get your point. Typical pointless leftist rabble-rousing.

And the second a leftist/fascist invokes the name of Fox News the writing's on the wall. You have no point, and you're shooting blanks with your cap gun.

Have you been working on that line all day?

:laugh2:

Brilliant. Boy do I ever feel used wasting any thought on your idea of proving a non-point.